New System with XP, second HD with W2K?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Campbell, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Josh Campbell

Josh Campbell Stunt Coordinator

Hi, I just got a new Dell Dimension that came with Windows XP installed on a 80G HD. I would like to add my 40G hard drive from my old computer that has W2K as a second hard drive. Will i be able to access the old drive even though they are different OS'? I know they are based on the same tech, but didn't know if there were any problems that could potentially arise. Sorry if this question seems stupid, I have never used XP before nor had 2 hard drives set up on the same system. I plan to move over my music and video files from the old HD to the new one and then format the old one so i can take advantage of the full drive without all the programs and crap on there now.

Thanks for the help!!!!

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

If you're just planning on putting the other drive with Win2000 on it to pull old files off of, then there shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't try to boot from it.

Install it on the secondary IDE channel and you should be able to copy whatever you need over to your primary drive and then reformat to use for storage.

3. Josh Campbell

Josh Campbell Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the reply, I figured that was the case, but thought it prudent just to double check with some of the more computer literate than I.

Thanks again, mike!!