New System! Speaker Questions

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Nick.S, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Nick.S

Nick.S Stunt Coordinator

I am looking at buying a new system. My GF works at BestBuy so we want to use her crazy discount. I was thinking either the Klipsch Synergy series or the JBL Northridge series. I am leaning more to the Klipsch as I am told the discount is very huge on those. So as of now here is what I am thinking: Front-Klipsch SF-3, Center-Klipsch SC-3, Surround-Klipsch SS-3, and Sub-Klipsch KSW-12. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about this choice? Or can recommend anything els at the Best Buy website?

Thanks
    Nick

2. BenKof

BenKof Agent

hey nick,

i posted a similar question the other day about Klipsch and no one responded .. maybe it's something with Klipsch and this board. however, I think that Klipsch is the way to go. I just tested a pair out next to a pair of 600 Series B&W's and the Klipsch held its own. For the money, I don't think you can beat it.

3. Joe Blech

Joe Blech Stunt Coordinator

You're right about the discount. There is a big mark-up on Klipsch. I think they are a little bright and harsh for my taste with the horn tweeters (I personally prefer the sound of the B&W 600 or 700 series) but they are a decent speaker if you can get a deal. They also do not require a hugely powerful receiver to power them.

I had the KSW-12 a couple years ago and was really not very impressed. The reference series (RSW-12)is good, but also at a much higher price point, and I don't think Best Buy carries them. Depending on how much you want to spend, you might consider an HSU or SVS sub.

Also, I'm sure you will hear it a hundred times, but you need to really listen to the JBL vs. Klipsch and decide which ones sound better to you, since you will be the one listening to them.

Happy auditioning!

4. Joe Blech

Joe Blech Stunt Coordinator

Another quick point - You will hear people pon this forum going back and forth with their opinions on Klipsch. Some say they sound just right, some say too bright and harsh. If you ask me, I think that they make a quality speaker, but it is up to you if you prefer the sound they have, because it is unique. Listen to others carefully, and if you decide that the Klipsch are still for you, than get 'em and enjoy 'em.

5. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

The KSWs quote peak power, not RMS power. Thus, their 10" is only 55w RMS. Look somewhere else for the sub, other than the Klipsch KSWs. And check to see that the RSW is also giving you the true RMS power rating.

Perhaps a Velodyne subwoofer, like the CHT15, would be better for you. It has current-sensing servo (cheaper to make than accelerometer servo as found on their DD and HGS series subs) so the bass will be very clean and quick.

I personally like the sound of the Klipsch. The sound is, IMO, very effortless. Paired with a Velodyne sub like the CHT15, the setup should rock.

6. Nick.S

Nick.S Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree on the ksw-12 not sounding the greatest. My GF's mom bought one for her system and I hooked it up and it did not sound very loud at all. When it was loud it was really messy bass, not very clean hitting. I just thought it was because we did not mess with the setting long. So looking at bb website hear are the other subs I am looking at if anyone cares to comment on them :)

JBL 12" 550w Northridge
    Athena 10" 400w (I don’t know anything about Athena)
    JBL 10" 250w

I am thinking the JBL 12" I know I will have to listen to them myself, just trying to narrow the better ones down to cut my in store time down a bit. Also does it matter if the sub faces down rather then face the side?

Thanks
    Nick.S

7. greg baker

greg baker Stunt Coordinator

I have heard the Reference series of Klipsch but not the Synergy. I have heard the Reference is quite a bit better though they are much more expensive, but I haven't to many complaints about the Synergy line other than they are light on bass which shouldn't be a problem if you are getting a sub. I have JBL studios and I am happy with them. I would pick the JBL sub over the Klipsch.

Greg

8. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

That 550w is a peak value as well, but the RMS value is a lot more respectable than that of the 12" Klipsch sub. Athena is a good brand. If you can get into one of Best Buy's stores, you can see for yourself. It's my understanding that the Klipsch Reference subwoofers are also not the cleanest out there, but they can hold their own against some lesser competitors. Their previous line of Reference subwoofers also had a tendency to sound slow even though they were passive radiator and the new ones are vented. A Klipsch setup with an SVS, now that will kick some (yeah).

Technically, it doesn't matter whether your sub fires down or to the side/front/horizontally. In practice, I have seen some different things. If your carpet is really fluffy and occupies more than half of the ground clearance of the subwoofer, then the output will be attenuated. Subs like the SVS that have a baseplate, or "plinth", will have no trouble with this. If you get the JBL sub, you also want to take note that since the port is downfiring, the distance from the port's opening onto the box to the edge of the box will count as port length, and if your floor is carpeted, the more plush your carpet is, the more it will slow down the vibrations, lowering the tuning frequency, I think.

For what I heard of the JBL sub, it sounded pretty good. Not sure if it would give the HSU STF-series a run for its money, though. Get a HSU.

9. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Your going to need several hours of listening to the Klipsch. I love the sound of them especially for loud rock and roll stuff for an hour or so or for movies they would be great but if your into listening to music for more than an hour you may find you ears fatiguing a bit. The JBL's will be more laid back. If you were a retail customer you could do better with several internet speakers companies but since you get that discount thats great and I'd get the best you possibly could afford as this might be the only time you get a situation offered to you. Good luck.