New system reccomendations needed

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by jackNi, Jun 17, 2006.

1. jackNi

jackNi Auditioning

I had Bose lifesytle 28 in my old house and I was very lucky that I was able to sell the house with the Bose system without any loss vs my buying price. I decided that I will definitely not buy another Bose.
    Now my question is this, since our house is being built now, for the living room I have the opportunity to lay the speaker/power cables behind the walls. For the appearance, I was thinking to use in-wall speakers. I have never considered in-wall speakers before, so I have no idea if they are good or not.
    Can any of you experienced guys/ladies give me your ideas, if it is logical to go on with an inwall speaker 7.1 surround system.
    If yes, can you tell me if you were me with a budget of 1000 or max 1500 what brands/models you would buy?

thanks

2. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I install in-wall speakers almost daily, and the price/performance ratio really stinks. They never sound as good as decent box speakers, and are much more prone to bleed-through to the next room(obviously).
    If I were you, I'd have 2 sets of wires run- one set for possible in-wall installation, and another for box speakers up front.
    However, I LOVE using ceiling or wall speakers for the surrounds. They add a great spatial quality that doesn't happen at ear level. If at all possible, use box speakers for the fronts and center, and ceiling or wall for the surrounds.

3. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Thats great info for all you DIY folks to have about the bleed through and also the sound just not as good. I think you can get up into the 1K range for front R/L only and still not sound as good as say a $500 set of Rockets or Axioms from the net.
    The dual wire thing is a great idea too. Hide the box wires under the moulding or carpet at the wall.

4. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

It would seem reasonable to use in-wall insulation to reduce bleed through problems.

There is one exception where an in-wall/in-ceiling speaker is absolutely the very best in sound quality, SPL and cost-effectiveness. This is the case of your subwoofer. Consider building your subwoofer so its at the boundary between your living room and some adjacent space. Mine is in a hidden manifold so that my entire attic forms the "enclosure". A basic setup would cost ~$400 for 2 15 inch woofers and a plate amplifier plus maybe $50 in building materials. You'd have a virtually invisible subwoofer that would outperform any ready-made subwoofer under $1000.

Go to http://ibsubwoofers.proboards51.com/ for more info.

5. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    I am also building this year. We are considering using these speakers in our living room: http://www.stealthacoustics.com/index.html My wife doesn't like the look of speakers, so these will do the job nicely. In our theater though we will still use the JBLs.