New system questions

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Zhentkap, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Zhentkap

Zhentkap Auditioning

Hi all. First post on the forums, trying to get my bearings. Ive got a 30" Sony HDTV [the model number escapes me] and a HTIB which is dieing on me. Thus, I'm starting to gather components to build a new system rather than just buying antoher HTIB.

So here's the deal. Ive got about $1500 to spend on the entire system, although christmas isnt too far away [hurray for being young enough to still get stuff [​IMG]] I need a receiver and DVD player pretty soon, because my current one is starting to get softer pretty quickly. I would like to have HDMI, because there is an HDMI in on my TV, and I have HD cable, so it would be pretty cool.

I was thinking of this receiver:
    http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i
    Onkyo TX-SR674

Because from everything I've read, it seems pretty decent, and Onkyo is a decent company. It has the HDMI for both the DVD player and the cable box, so it looks like everything i need, especially for only $550 on Amazon.

Second, I was looking at this dvd player:
    Oppo DV-970HD
    http://www.oppodigital.com/dv970hd/dv970hd.html

Again, I've tried to read all the reviews I could find and it seems like they are a pretty good company and the players are pretty good.

So, I guess my question to you guys is two-fold. First, are there receivers or DVD players which I should consider other than these? I'm trying to keep around the 700 price range for both of them, so i can still get a couple of speakers. I can buy both on amazon for 700 exactly.

Second, If I plug all of this and the TV into one surge protector on one plug, will that trip the circuit? I currently live in a dorm on my college campus, so I need to keep in mind the amount of power this stuff takes, so i dont end up getting too much powerful stuff and not being able to turn it on[​IMG]

Sorry for the dissertation, thanks for any help you all can offer. i'll be checking this hyperactively, so if you have any questions ill try to answer what i can [​IMG]

2. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I wouldn't worry about the power, I would Imagine the outlets are rated to 15 amps a piece, as that is standard. When contractors do wiring they must adhere to some guidlines and I believe that 15 amp outlets are a required minimum. If you are constricted on space I would reccomend a Panasonic SA-XR57 receiver with HDMI switching. Should have all the power you will need for a dorm. Then I would get a sub sat configuration. Definitive Tech makes a nice one as well as PSB, Energy, and Paradigm.

3. Zhentkap

Zhentkap Auditioning

Yeah, I wasnt so much concerned about the size of the receiver itself as the amount of power it drew. I tend to have a lot of stuff plugged in, and I figured that a receiver would be one of the more power-hungry pieces.

As far as quality is concerned, is there anything wrong with the Onkyo system? I'm thinking in terms of the future as well, as that panasonic looks pretty good for right now, but might get outstripped pretty quickly when I move somewhere else.

4. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

The Onkyo is good, but speakers have a bigger impact on your overall sound. If you could save a little on the receiver you could devote more of your budget to your speakers. Note that technoligy is always one step ahead of you. No matter which you get it will become outdated just as soon as the other. The Onkyo likely has more power but is also not as efficient as the Panasonic. I would gander to say the Onkyo may draw close to 5 amps were the Panasonic will draw more like 2.5-3amps. I don't think power consumption is going to be a serious issue for you. I have my entire system plugged into one outlet, and my most power hungry piece of equipment is my 42 pound Carver amp.

5. Zhentkap

Zhentkap Auditioning

Cool. In that case... how about speakers. Is there a website which explains what you should look for in speakers, in terms of power, response? I havent really even started looking at speakers, I figured that the important thing would be to replace the stuff thats broken, so now that I've got good replacements I can start looking to upgrade the speakers and sub.

also, at this point, since my room is not that big, is it better to get good left, right, and center speakers, and leave the back ones off for now, or get all five, even though the back ones will be way out of place?

6. Zhentkap

Zhentkap Auditioning

Also, with regards to the DVD player, is there a better upconverting DVD than this? it seems to get pretty decent regards, but I have never heard the name before.