What's new

new system, input wanted (1 Viewer)

tj2185

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas J Watson
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums been jumbling the idea of a high end audio system budget of 7-8k I found a source where i can get some pretty killer deals on certin brands. But i am just getting my feet where here so all input is welcomed

for a reciever i was thinking the SC-68 had my eyes on the onkyo and denon also though for some reason i feel like the THX ultra2 plus rating is a must. not sure why but that tag on the reciever gives me a feel good feeling if you know what i mean.

Fronts: CM9
Center: CM2
rears??: CM5
Sub: ?

will the SC-68 be able to run these speakers sufficently not sure if we can post prices here so as i have not fully read the rules i will not post the aprox i can get them for

I was also kind of toying with the definitive and polks also

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
THX certification just means Pioneer was willing to spend money on the licensing fee. Some will, some won't. Don't let it be a deciding factor. Any receiver over $1000 will have a pretty strong amp section.

Pioneer only allows one crossover setting for all speaker groups but 80hz should work fine. The CM series looks to be 8 ohms with average sensetivity (88-89 db) so just about any receiver will power them nicely. Strangely, the CM2 is listed as going down to 52 hz while the CM9 only 56 hz???

In that price range auditioning a few different models and brands a few times is what you really need to do. We can't say what sounds good to you. And don't skimp on the subwoofer. SVS, HSU, Lava and a few others I can't seem to remember at the moment.

I think you can post prices, but not ebay links.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I can chime in on the Pioneer. I just bought the SC67 and am very happy with it thus far. The SC68 didn't have enough going for it as far as additional features in my opinion to justify the extra cost, and as Gene pointed out much of that cost is due to Pioneer spending the extra money to get these untis certified. Both the SC67 and 68 have the same WPC ratings at 140 and both are 9.2 Channel receivers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I post Ebay links all the time.

The only other "real advantage" to a THX certified AVR...are the sound modes you get. THX Cinema works nicely on DTS 2.0.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
It depends upon what your priorities are. What is your room size (including all openings) and prefered listening levels? Just don't be surprised to spend 25-35% of your budget on a sub. To me, the sub can make or break a HT system. Everythings top notch but the sub is lacking. You will notice it missing. Conversely, you don't want everything to be one big rumbling note, which can be indicitive of a boomy sub. At the top of my list would be either the Seaton Submersive going for $2,500, give or take, or the JTR Captivator 2400, similarly priced. Next would be the SVS SB13 Ultra for $1,599 shipped, dual Power Sound Audio XV15s for $1,518 delivered, or the Rythmik Audio FV15HP for slightly under $1,420 delivered, and the list can go on. Ultimately you want something which will keep you happy for years to come. Obviously, this is nowhere near an all-inclusive list.

Now to the heart of the system. Depends upon what you want. The Pioneer Elite models are good, as are receivers from Marantz, Denon, Harmon Kardon and Yamaha. Get a good one which has the features and capabilities which will suit your input needs for now and in the future and that you enjoy for years to come. I also would not rule out going the way of seperates, such as the Outlaw Audio 975/7125 for $1,400 though I do not believe that includes shipping. THX, as nice as it sounds, can be overrated.

Where do you go for speakers? Get whatever you like. I wouldn't rule out ones from Axiom Audio, Magnepan, Def Tech, Martin Logan, Swan, etc. Depends upon how many you truly want or need. Do you want a 5.1 system or a 9.3 system, etc?

For wire, interconnects, etc, I would highly recommend going through Monoprice. Save yourself some money. Lastly, don't forget about the remote. Logitech makes some good ones though I'm certain there are other better brands out there.

My HT journey truly started with nOrh ceramic 4.0s and a SVS 20-39CS with a Yamaha receiver to AV123 Rocket RS550 mains, RS150 surrounds, UFW-10 sub and RSC200 center powered by a Yamaha RX-V1065 to now that same Yamaha receiver powering Axiom Audio M22 on-walls with the VP160 center, Polk Audio RC80i in-ceiling surrounds with a soon-to-be added PSA XS30 sub.

HT can be a fun but expensive hobby. My system changes were brought about first by my marrying my current spouse then, most recently, by our living room. A small wall is not very condusive to tower speakers. That being said, she enjoys the HT system, perhaps moreso than I.

So get what you will enjoy for years to come and hope to avoid that bug of upgraditis. From the posts I have read, it seems the sub can be the root of that problem. Get a great one while you can. Best of luck!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
schan1269 said:
I post Ebay links all the time.

The only other "real advantage" to a THX certified AVR...are the sound modes you get. THX Cinema works nicely on DTS 2.0.
You're not supposed to :) .

Here's the spec sheet for the SC-68. Items in bold are up-grades to the 67. Not much there for an extra $500 msrp.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Home/SC-68%20New%20Single%20Sheet.pdf

Here's the SC-67.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Home/SC-67%20New%20Single%20Sheet.pdf

tj2185

Auditioning
Real Name
Thomas J Watson
thanks for the input guys! well i can pick up the SC 67 for around 1010 and the sc 68 for around 1500.. as for the cm series around 860 for the 9s 650 for the CM5s and 800 for the nice center i thought that was a pretty damn good deal. i have always been told that all speakers should be same brand the sub can be whatever you want

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks