What's new

New system...htib or separates? (1 Viewer)

coyoteboy

Grip
Real Name
James
Hi, please excuse my first post being a cliche please help post (or don't and flame me!)Time has come to upgrade my TV/video setup. I'm running a Sony bravia LCD (kdl324000 iirc) which I'm more than happy with (room is an odd shape but essentially 8m wide and 5 deep with the TV opposite the seating across the 5m width. I've been making do with a DVD player and an old 5.1 system that was bundled with it (DVD does the decoding, sub unit has all channel amps in it). DVD is keeling over and amp just lost centre channel so its time is up.I'm not planning on spending a fortune but I'm wary of buying an all in one solution. If I can and be happy then that's fine. The unit I've been considering is the new Sony bdv-e4100 because it seems to be ram packed with features including WiFi and dlna capabilty and reasonably sized for the small room and the fact that in a semi detached house I can't have loud volumes anyway without causing unfair inconvenience to neighbours. I tried to find separates with the same features and interconnection capabilities with my TV but it is hard to identify what is cross compatible and if I would gain anything from a separate receiver (other than not having to do this again should the blue ray drive play up). Can anyone more clued up spot anything you could consider vital that I might not be aware of? I plan to run a PVR through it and will fire its optical sound and HDMI into the 4100 so normal TV is run through the system too - does anyone know if this is actually possible? I'm aware all in one boxes are usually a compromise but I'm not looking for mind blowing power and I am looking for simplicity of use on a daily basis.Any help appreciated!

coyoteboy

Grip
Real Name
James
Id not normal consider used electronics, to much of my well treated stuff dies early as it is, so who knows how other people's stuff will last, with no recourse. That said, what are you thinking and why does it seem a better idea to you?

coyoteboy

Grip
Real Name
James
It would be nice if you didn't come across as quite so patronising. I'm well aware of the limitations. I'm also not looking for something that lasts decades or is capable of crystal clarity in a cathedral, as I explained. But at 3-400 gbp I'd be looking to maximise performance and have a decent lifespan, after all I could get a really poor system for

coyoteboy

Grip
Real Name
James
Jesus, naff software....For 150 if I were feeling cheap. I've just spent more than this on IEMs, where I can hear quality in peace without annoying neighbours.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I wasn't being patronizing.You want cheap, but not junk.HTiB = junkGood audio costs money.You don't want to spend much.Ergo, buy used. Simple.

coyoteboy

Grip
Real Name
James
Seems your definition of patronising differs from most then. Instead of firing out general beliefs based on obvious economics, exactly what do you feel I gain from buying a used bit of kit that this combined system lacks? What features, qualities or attributes is this specific hardware lacking over something in the same price bracket but used?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm in the U.S.A. We have a robust used market. Last I checked, Amazon and EBay were international.I guess I could peruse your used market for you...

coyoteboy

Grip
Real Name
James
I suspect we have very similar equipment available, but our market is a LOT smaller. I don't want you to peruse my market, I was looking for helpful advice on alternative options to keep an eye out for. It seems you're not the person to ask.

coyoteboy

Grip
Real Name
James
Thank you for those, both makes I would not have touched with a barge pole without advice. And I can actually find the receiver 50 less in richersounds. I know nothing of either of these two makes and wouldn't have touched them add there are many cheap items popping up and passed off as quality these days. I tend to stick with classic larger manufacturers.Now just to see how well they all interact or if it becomes a mess of half a dozen remotes and power on sequences :) As I said, my last purchase in this market was a scart-only dvd player :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Onkyo is one of the oldest Japanese audio companies.

Boston Acoustics is part of Denon/Marantz. They are one of the more respected(long ago, mere shell of former prominence now) brands out there. At one time Boston Acoustics was on equal footing with Wharfedale.

coyoteboy

Grip
Real Name
James
Just a note to say thanks for pushing me this way as I now have an NR626 and separate Sony BD player and I'm more than impressed with the quality and features. The sound seems really nice on a combination of old HiFi speakers (3way bookshelf) and some old no-name 5.1 surrounds. Time to invest in some better hardware there I think! Shame I'm out of cash for now!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No problem. Glad the NR626 satisfies you so far.

Easiest thing to do(keep using this thread if you want) is to keep perusing Ebay and Craigslist for local stuff. Many times it takes the anguish out of finding what speakers to get by limiting yourself to what is available in your area used.

What are these "old hifi speakers"?

coyoteboy

Grip
Real Name
James
It's an old set of aiwa n55 (part of an old system)
249240752-5725610-700_700.jpg

Quite muddy at times with occasional monotone bass peaks and less clear in a vocal region than I'd like but still light years ahead of my TV.

I'd been considering some wharfedale diamond 9.0s that I can get locally new for 40 per pair but I'm aware they are old hat and somewhat limited. Time to get to a shop and listen to some.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks