New system help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Guy Rogers, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Guy Rogers

Guy Rogers Auditioning

Hi,

I am moving to Canada shortly and as a result will have to get a new hifi (the down points of no dual voltage equipment).

On the plus side I am considering the following setup.

KEF - Q7, Q9c, Q2ds x2 pair, PSW2500
    (or alternatively as they are available in the US) KEF - Q11, Q10c, Q2ds x2 pair, PSW4000

Combined with either :

Yamaha RX Z9
    Pioneer VSX-59TXi

Does anyone have any pro/con experiences ?

Does any one know any dealers for these either stores or online ? If any are in Canada that would be a bonus !

Also does any one know where I can get a DENON DVD-2900, but a Multi region version to go with it, something quite easy to obtain in the UK, but I am not sure where I can get one in the US/CA with the right voltage.

Also multi disc CD options. Tuner options. And dare I say it Cassette and Record player. These latter two are not as important as the others.

Again any physical stores or online ?

Many thanks for all your help.

Guy

2. WendyS

WendyS Stunt Coordinator

Canada has crap for online electronic stores.
    If you are going to be in Toronto, Bay Bloor Radio carries all the brands you mentioned, but no online sales. www.baybloorradio.com
    They've been around a long time, and from what I've heard, have a great reputation.

3. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

For the kind of money you are thinking of spending on a Yammy RX-Z9... go seperates instead.

JB

4. Guy Rogers

Guy Rogers Auditioning

Thanks for the info.

If I was to import from the States ( I have seen one of the AMP’s advertised for CA$2000 less ) what sort of TAX/Duty would I expect to pay to Customs Canada, especially if it was sent via a Courier company.

Thanks, Guy

5. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

15% tax, brokerage (aka UPS's *little* handling fee) on $2000 runs $62.75 (+ 7% GST). No duty because of NAFTA. For COD you pay $4.25 (+GST) + 2.7% if you don't provide them with the funds in advance...

You're looking at $362.75 even before COD in additional charges, $421 total including COD.

Welcome to Toronto by the way. You'll soon realize that you have to get *excellent* deals for it to be worthwhile importing.

Kennedy HiFi in the GTA carries Denon, Yamaha and Pioneer Elite. For the price of a receiver like that though, I'd look at a pre/pro combination, unless you ABSOLUTELY need all the doo dads that the Z9 gives you.

6. Guy Rogers

Guy Rogers Auditioning

Oh boy, so on the combo I want, it might be looking at more than that + the US$400 for shipping. The prices you quote were in CA$ not US $?

And there was I thinking that free trade across the two countries was alive.

I know buying in Canada would give me better come back if anything happened + better warranty, I guess it is going to be a matter of finding the best deal in TO, or an US city in close proximity to TO, Buffalo / Detroit ?

All is not going to plan !

7. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Well if you cross the border with it yourself instead of shipping it, you still have to pay GST/PST. You do get an exemption after 48 hours for $200 (I think) and after 7 days for $750 PER PERSON. But you can't combine each person's exemption, so even if you stay in the US for 7 days, you'll still have to pay PST/GST on the amount over $750. Fun huh?

8. WendyS

WendyS Stunt Coordinator

Sometimes they do charge duty on certain items.
    It's all very confusing to me. It seems to be dependant on where the item was produced. Even though you buy and item from the US, but if it was produced in China, you are slapped with duty fees. I was interested in buying a Harman Kardon. In addition to the taxes, a 57.00 duty fee was tacked on.....not to mention a ridiculous 169.00 for shipping and handling.
    I've heard that UPS has horrendous brokerage fees.
    The tax you pay is on the the value after converting to Cnd dollars, not on the US value.
    You have no warranty in Canada if purchased in the US.
    Buffalo isn't too far from Toronto...maybe a couple of hours. Detroit is at least 5.
    There are some online companies which have partnered up with Canada Post to provide Canadians with a guaranteed purchase price. Everything is taken into account and converted to Canadian dollars, so you have no surprises when the item shows up at your door.
    http://www.borderfree.com/ptn_merch-e.jsp
    Try one of the stores. If they don't have the item you are interested in, just pick one similarily priced, and hit Canadian checkout. It will give you an idea as to whether or not it's worth ordering from the US.
    I could have gotten the HK7200 for half of what it costs in Canada.....duties, taxes, everything included.

9. Guy Rogers

Guy Rogers Auditioning

Thanks Wendy & Drew. It does seem like a real TAX money maker for the CA government... note humming Beatles tune..

I know when I orginally spoke with the support guys at Yamaha they were pretty hot on, no warranty + CA$65 p/h if anything goes wrong ( I was orignally looking at getting a dual voltage from Malaysia )

I think I am really going to have to do the math as cheapest cost in canada + support from there vs import and costs associated - TAX/GST/Import etc from US... or drive over the border and put my best english accent on...

Fun ? Not any more !!!