New system feedback anyone?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by randySH, Apr 9, 2005.

1. randySH

randySH Agent

In a couple of weeks the following will be installed in my living room

Pioneer Pro 1010 50 inch Plasma Monitor
    MX800-RFS IR/RF
    Yamaha RXV 650
    PDR-10 120 Watt Paradigm
    5-Paradigm AMS-300 speakers (in wall) I need in wall for various reasons and not 7 speakers as I only have 3 walls

a new DVD and VCR but I don't have the model info on that

and about $1000 in cables and accessories...

Understanding that I am an old fart and wont use this for music, is this a decent system? AND

why did one guy in a store tell me that if I want TRUE HD (i am hooking up to direct tv and their hd stuff/receiver)
    i need a CRT television ? huh??

2. randySH

randySH Agent

I guess I should add that I know and trust the store that is selling this to me and installing it, they are locally owned and friends of mine.

I am just new to all this and am curious about others experience...

anyone?

3. Scott Lawrence

Scott Lawrence Stunt Coordinator

Because most Plasma TVs are actually EDTV (enhanced definition TV) and not HDTV. EDTV is higher resolution than standard def TV but not nearly as high as HDTV. I think it's even less than 720p resolutions, IIRC. So you TV may accept a 720p or 1080i input, but then downscales it to it's native resolution; therefore you don't get the full resolution of HDTV.

4. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

randySH - you don't need to worry about the ED vs. HD stuff. From what I remember all of the Pioneer Elite plasmas have a native resolution of 720P or better - that works just fine for HD. The comment about needing a CRT-based set probably comes from someone who only knows or uses 1080i as HD. You'll be fine w/ that stuff - especially the Pioneer! (Not that anyone here would be jealous... ;~)

5. randySH

randySH Agent

thanks guys!!! I am excited, to say the least...