New Symphony X listener

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mike Broadman, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I know there are a bunch of prog/metal fans in the house. I like my fair share, particularly Dream Theater.

Symphony X was always recommended to me here and by others. A while ago I listened to Divine Wings of Tragedy and didn't really like it. At the time, the over-the-top vocal arrangements and corny lyrics were too much for me.

Lately, however, I think that my tastes in metal have broadened to include the "less serious" and I've had a hunger to for some really fun if a little cheesy metal. I've been sating myself with two bands- Blind Guardian and Symphony X.

As of now, I have three Symphony X albums. The first one I got was V: The New Mythology Suite and it's my favorite so far. Then I got Twilight in Olympus and most recently their latest, The Odyssey.

The Odyssey has a bunch of killer tunes- really flashy stuff, lots of fun. The centerpiece is the 24 minute title track which I'm not as crazy about as the rest. The "classical" overture is humorously pretentious. There are of course good bits in the piece which make it a fun listen, but I prefer the other songs much more.

Michael Romeo is just a bad-ass mother of a guitar player.

Blind Guardian is a different animal. They make Symphony X look tame. Restraint is simply not a word in their dictionary. Their album, Nightfall on Middle Earth, is a concept album about Tolkien's mythology. Of course. But it's endless fun.

Their latest, A Night at the Opera (gee, what a clever title for an album [​IMG]), is supposedly their most pompous effort. I hope to pick it up soon.

2. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Symphony X will be playing at the New Jersey Metal Festival on November 14th at the Paramount Theater in Asbury Park. There's not much in the way of information for this event though.
    NJ Metalfest

I've been listening to Symphony X quite a bit over the last two years. Since I don't pay a whole lotta attention to lyrics, the cheesy mythology/medieval/knights/swords blah, blah doesn't bother me too much. I focus mainly on the music and these guys are exceptional musicians.

I see them as kinda like Dream Theater's little brother. They'll always be compared to DT, they're not as popular or respected as DT, not musically on quite the same level as DT, but a very good band (musically) none-the-less.

Blind Guardian I can take or leave. I always get them confused with other Euro-ProgMetal bands like Gamma Ray, Stratovarious, Hammerfall etc. They do a kickass version of the Beach Boys "Barbara Ann".

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Well, in my book, DT has something most of these other bands, including Symphony X, don't have- songwriting and even lyrical maturity. I don't even think of them as a "prog-metal" band anymore. For every "Glass Prison" and "Metropolis" there's a "Disappear" or "Take Away My Pain."

To me, DT is "real" music. I take them as seriously as I do Led Zeppelin or The Beatles.

Symphony X is in my mental category of silly music, like AC/DC or P-Funk. Great musicianship but in the service of corny fun.

I go through phases with this stuff. I'm sure in a while I won't be able to even look at a Symphony X album, then later I'll be dying to hear it.

4. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Finally you've come around, Mike! [​IMG]

I love the Odyssey, it's by far my favorite Symphony X album. I listen to it often.

I've got a couple of Blind Guardian discs as well but Nightfall is the only one I listen to regularly (I'm a Tolkien freak and I adore the Silmarillion). I might try the new one, though.

5. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Second Unit

Mike,

Since you are such a huge fan of both Dream Theater and Marillion, you should check out Arena. I think you would really like them. I recommend you try Immortal?.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I have been meaning to give Arena a listen. I know Mick Pointer's in the band.

7. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Someone loaned me their DT and gotta say that i hated it.

I think they try too hard and it was just too melodramatic for me.