What's new

New SVS Plus Driver! (1 Viewer)

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I bought my 4th SVS subwoofer the first week in March of this year. I wanted another PB12plus/2 like I owned for a year or so. . . big mistake selling it. . .

Anyway the +2 was on back order and the closest one I could get immediately was the ISD2 otherwise I would have had to wait a week or so. . .

Turns out I wish I had waited and got the isd2 with the new NSD driver. . You know my pants are on fire waiting until we can upgrade from the ISD to the NSD driver. . .

My thinking was get the isd2 now then upgrade to the plus drivers later. . . This was before I knew about the newer drivers. . .

I've used subs since the early 70s consisting of main stream boxes from JBL (B360/480) to DIY models then came my first SVS (2039). Now 4 subs later I'm a loyal fan and in my mind there is no other choice period. . .

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I hear ya Guy. I'm on my fifth SVS(dual 25-31's, 2 20-39 pc+'s, and a brand spankin new PB12 plus/2). Bought my first SVS 5 years ago and have been happy with them since. Would love to hear the new NSD drivers. I have a friend who is going to upgrade his pb12 isd to the NSD. Seems like just yesterday i upraded my original drivers in my 25-31's to the ISD.......

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I sold my +2 for more money than I paid for it . . . I was upgrading my complete system, new Denon 3806 (Elite VSX56TXi previous) all new speakers, new Sony 55wf655 RPLCDTV, DVR, HD cable plus OTA and thought I would get another +2 so everything would be the same age. . .

I even had their little giant killer isd10 for temp duty until I was able to get another +2. . .Only problem was I sold my isd10 too fast and found myself with no sub and a big family thing comming up at my house. . . Ever try to show off your HT with no sub?? Doesnt work very well. . .

That said the new isd2 that I bought is a great subwoofer. . .Maybe not the "presence" for lack of a better word than the +2 but this sub is always there when needed. I dont think I have ever owned such a unassuming sub. It is so easy to forget it and even think it is not even there but when called on you find she is there and with authority.

I do like the +2's energy more but still there is a lot to be said for the isd2. I'm happy with it but I would be estatic with the NSD drivers if they preform as well as described. . . Hindsight is 20/20. . .if only I knew then what I know now I'd have waited 2 more weeks until I got exactly what I wanted.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi all,

We will eventually replace all drivers with in house designs. As Wayne noted though...the PB10 was just so good to begin with...any improvements will be very small (probably not even worth considering an upgrade program).

Tom V.
SVS

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Nathan,

The NSD driver is very similar in overall performance capabilities (to the 12.2). But that doesn't mean a 20-39PCi with the NSD driver will be very close to the 20-39PC+..:) Remember, the PC+ has almost twice the port area, and a much more powerful amplifier.

However, the NSD driver does close the "gap" between the PCi and PC+ model lines a bit.

Tom V.
SVS

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Does anyone know how hard this driver is to install? I just ordered mine. I've replaced an amp in a 25-31 PCi which I thought was kinda tough due the cramped quarters. I was just wondering what I'm in for.

terence

Supporting Actor

I have taken a driver out one of my cylinders and it's easy to do the wire conectors (Red+ & Blk-) that have the typical slide on metal terminals like these...

on the ends of the red and blk wires coming from the plate amp.

The 12.1/2 driver wire conection looks like this when conected.

Not conected.

The 12.3 has spring loaded push terminals, so you only need to bare speaker wire going into the terminals. you will need to cut off the old metal ends (terminals) to hook up the new driver.

Easy as pie!

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Hey, how about an upgrade for the CS-Ultra? Or is that even possible? ;-)

Hey, it's worth a shot!

terence

Supporting Actor

Shawn, from what i read they are working on the successor to the current Ultra driver, it might debut before the end of the year.

Geoff Gunnell

Stunt Coordinator
BUT they are being careful to state that they are not promising that the new Ultra will be a plug 'n play replacement driver in old Ultra cabinets...

TimJC

Stunt Coordinator
That's cool with me Geoff, because they are also hinting at offering a new larger 16-46 type sized tube when that new Ultra comes out. Reminiscent of the former SS Subwoofer System, but with an onboard amp.

That would mean a native tune of about 15-16hz, tunable down to 11-12hz with just one port plugged. You could realistically see +/- 3db in-room frequency response into the single digits ... with an Ultra driver.

My wife is going to have to hide the checkbook if they do that.

Tim

Geoff Gunnell

Stunt Coordinator
Tim, I agree with you about the Ultra in a 16-46 enclosure -- many have requested this over the years as you know -- I'm sure Tom and Ron have good reasons why they have not offerd this particular combination, although driver bottoming is the only downside I can think of, and we don't want any poor-sounding excursion limiters in the signal path, now do we ? :)

It will be a shame, however, if current Ultra owners are required to purchase enclosures and amps over again in order to use the new driver.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
What are you all going to do with your 12.2 drivers if you upgrade to the 12.3. What do you think the 12.2 will be worth?

I am trying to justify to my wife that getting the 12.3 will basically be free, so why not do it. But I have no idea what I could get for a 12.2. (By the way, if you are interested in a 12.2 driver, let me know.)

Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks