What's new

New SVS PB2-Ultra sub (1 Viewer)

KevinYee

Stunt Coordinator
Just got a new black SVS PB2-Ultra sub yesterday afternoon. It will be replacing my trusty old Velodyne HGS-18 sub. The HGS-18 wasn't lacking in low end, but it was little bloated sounding to me at times.

I knew the PB2U was going to be bigger than the HGS-18, but until you get this beast of a box in your house, you don't really realize the magnitude of how really big the sub is. Needless to say, my wife was not too happy it! I haven't had time to calibrate the sub, that'll have to wait for a future weekend when I have some free time. I did get it put into the room, and here's some pictures of the sub.

Here's my Velodyne HGS-18 next to the PB2-Ultra. It's sitting next to it just for comparison pictures. I've already sent it off to it's new owner.

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
Very nice pictures, but under what conditions did you feel your HGS-18 was bloated? Sounds more like its set-up needed tweaking, rather than replacing it with a whole new sub. Regardless, congrats.
-Erik

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Fits in nicely with the decor. What's your wife complaining about? ;) Congrats.

KevinYee

Stunt Coordinator
That little bloated sound was not the reason for the upgrade. I upgraded just because I wanted to try out something new. I suffer from incurable upgrade-itis. From home theater gear, to car stuff, to computers, I have a bad case of the disease. Does anyone know of a cure? :)

Richard_M

Second Unit

Yes I do - Spend more money :D

We must have the same disease; I just gotta figure how to earn more money for less work so I can enjoy my toys more...

Congratulations on the new sub :emoji_thumbsup:

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
That's one sharp looking sub!

I bet you can really feel the low stuff with the sub being that close to you. Kinda like a an external butt kicker:).

ScottCarr

Second Unit
That my friend is the UGLIEST THING I have even seen. I would highly recommend you PM your address and I will rush over and remove that beastly SvS for you. :D

terence

Supporting Actor

Yeah you buy what ever it is that is eating @ you and upgraditis goes away until it's next vist.

Congrats on your new toy Kevin.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Not if he wants to stay with the same manufacturer. Those are Sonus Faber's if my eyes are correct.

I don't see a black on their site. Is it cheaper than the other finishes? That Black looks sharp!

KevinYee

Stunt Coordinator
Those are Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor speakers. I have the matching Cremona Center speaker as well.

When I started looking at the PB2-Ultra as a possible replacement for my trusty old Velodyne HGS-18, I had some of the color samples sent to me. The four color options it comes in didn't match my living room decor, so I was ready to look for something else. After emailing Ron at SVS a few times, he told me that there was a very limited quantity of a satin black finish for the PB2-Ultra. I guess SVS was considering doing this finish, but won't be offering it any time soon. The satin black works perfect in my room. It surely doesn't cost less, in fact they could probably charge more as it is in essense a type of "limited edition" color at the moment.

I haven't had anytime to really test the sub and see what it can do. I'm off on vacation till Wednesday, so it'll probably next weekend until I can spend some quality time with my new family addition.

AxelKro

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Kevin,

this seems to be the Black Couch & Black SVS times... :)
Have a look at my setup:

2 x PB1+

Looks familiar to you, doesn't it ?
I can only recommend to have two Subs if you are going to keep yours beside the couch. I found it very annoying over time to feel the rumble just from one direction.
With two Subs, you are in the center of the explosions, it has to be felt to believe in it. :D

Have fun!!

Regards,
Axel

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Just be glad you don't have some other addiction like gambling or something like that. When compared to the alternatives, chronic Upgrade-itis is very minor ... but, can hurt the check book a little bit. :)

Very nice setup! :)

Larry L.

Auditioning
Kevin,

Just out of curiosity, what made you assume that the PB2-Ultra would necessarily be an "upgrade" -- especially given that you don't like a "bloated" sound. The HGS is not known as a "bloated" sounding sub -- in fact, the opposite tends to be the most common opinion. The HGS's servo system, combined with the fact that it's a sealed box design vs. the ported design of the SVS, would tend to "imply" that between the two subs, the HGS18 might have the edge in terms of accuracy (and lack of "bloat.") How did you make make this switch so easily without direct comparison -- didn't you worry about the possibility that the HGS might actually sound better to you?

Did you do any actual comparisons before or after switching? Now that you've had some time to hear the new unit, I'd be real interested in hearing your reactions comparing these two units in the same room.

I'm just curious about the thought process you went through here, and your reactions (as subjective as possible) since then.

Thanks,

Larry

KevinYee

Stunt Coordinator
I've been on the road and still haven't had time to calibrate/test/listen to the sub. I hope to have some time this weekend.

If I find that I'm really unhappy with the PB2-Ultra, I'll either return it, or sell it. I don't think that will be happening, though.

KevinYee

Stunt Coordinator
The front L/R and side L/R are Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors. The center is the Cremona Center. And of course the sub is the PB2-Ultra.

The frontend is a Lexicon MC12b, with a Theta Dreadnaught II in 7 channel configuration. I plan on adding two rear channels sometime down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks