What's new

New SVS owner - Help with setup (1 Viewer)

Ranga

Stunt Coordinator
Just received my 25-31PC this week and have some questions regarding Bass Management and crossovers.
I am using my DVD player's 5.1 decoder and Bass Management connecting to a 5-ch pre-amp (with no DD/DTS processor/DAC).
If the DVD player surround type is set to Auto, when I am playing CDs recorded in stereo, shoudn't the DVD player bypass the bass management? What I notice though is that if I set the fronts to SMALL, the DVD player does send the bass
to the sub even for stereo. Is this normal?
I can set the levels for each channel on the DVD player (Sherwood R-756). The pre-amp's bass management is bypassed when I use it's 5.1 inputs.
Using AVIA, should I calibrate all speakers to 85db even though I cannot handle more than 75db?
Also, with regard to the sub, the SVS manual asks me to set the sub level on the DVD player to -5db and the subwoofer volume control to 3/4 i.e. 3'o clock position.
Given this, what should I be changing (sub level or volume control) to set the sub playback to 4-6db above the other speakers? Does that also mean that using the AVIA disc, I will not be following their recommendation of matching the level of the LF and sub?
I managed to get the sub calibrated at few db higher (80db) than the other speakers and the sub volume control is in the
11'o clock position and the sub level on the DVD
player is still -5db.
This setup works very well for Music - tried Stereophile test CD 2 and Chesky's Demonstration disc and I could not localize the sub and I was impressed with the ability of the sub to keep up with the fronts.
The problem seems to be with the CD I was playing earlier - Sting's Brand New day. This CD still sounds boomy and I can localize the sub. Do I solve this just by turning down the sub volume?
BTW, when I run the Low frequency sweep for the fronts and the sub, I can measure a lot of output between 45 and 65 Hz and again between 20-25Hz. I do not see any dips though. Could this be due to room characterstics?
Since the DVD player crossover frequency is 80Hz, do you think that lowering the crossover to say 40-50Hz using the sub's crossover and speaker level connections will resolve this?
Ranga

Steve_D

Second Unit
I'll take a stab:
>>>If the DVD player surround type is set to Auto, when I am playing CDs recorded in stereo, shoudn't the DVD player bypass the bass management? What I notice though is that if I set the fronts to SMALL, the DVD player does send the bass
to the sub even for stereo. Is this normal?Using AVIA, should I calibrate all speakers to 85db even though I cannot handle more than 75db?>>>>Since the DVD player crossover frequency is 80Hz, do you think that lowering the crossover to say 40-50Hz using the sub's crossover and speaker level connections will resolve this?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Ranga, sorry for the delay in replying. I thought Ron emailed you(and CCed me)on these questions already...so I didn't think to check this thread immediately.
>>Just received my 25-31PC this week and have some questions regarding Bass Management and crossovers.
I am using my DVD player's 5.1 decoder and Bass Management connecting to a 5-ch pre-amp (with no DD/DTS processor/DAC).
If the DVD player surround type is set to Auto, when I am playing CDs recorded in stereo, shoudn't the DVD player bypass the bass management? What I notice though is that if I set the fronts to SMALL, the DVD player does send the bass
to the sub even for stereo. Is this normal?>I can set the levels for each channel on the DVD player (Sherwood R-756). The pre-amp's bass management is bypassed when I use it's 5.1 inputs.>Using AVIA, should I calibrate all speakers to 85db even though I cannot handle more than 75db?>This setup works very well for Music - tried Stereophile test CD 2 and Chesky's Demonstration disc and I could not localize the sub and I was impressed with the ability of the sub to keep up with the fronts.
The problem seems to be with the CD I was playing earlier - Sting's Brand New day. This CD still sounds boomy and I can localize the sub. Do I solve this just by turning down the sub volume?>BTW, when I run the Low frequency sweep for the fronts and the sub, I can measure a lot of output between 45 and 65 Hz and again between 20-25Hz. I do not see any dips though. Could this be due to room characterstics?>Since the DVD player crossover frequency is 80Hz, do you think that lowering the crossover to say 40-50Hz using the sub's crossover and speaker level connections will resolve this?
I'm not sure what's really happening yet, so I can't recommend a *fix*.
Also, don't be afraid to experiment with both placement and phase on the sub.
TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks