1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

NEW SVS! How should I package/ship my old sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geordy, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Geordy

Geordy Stunt Coordinator

I am soon to be the proud new owner of an SVS, which is a result of me promising my current sub (M&K v-90) to my sister as part of her home theater wedding gift (TV, DVD, Receiver, and speakers).
    Now, I have to get the sub to her. It is about 18" cubed, give or take, and is rather heavy. My mom is going out to PA to help her move to her new place, and I thought she could take it on a plane. However, the thought of baggage handlers tossing it around makes me woozy.
    Would USPS or UPS be better? Cheaper?
    Anyone who has shipped a sub, your advice is welcome and appreciated!!!
    geordy
    ------------------

2. Myram

Myram Second Unit

I recently shipped out my Klipsch KSW-12 after I upgraded to a SVS 16-46pc. I still had all the original packaging and box so that made it alot easier. I put the sub back in the original packaging, and then wrapped the whole thing in bubble wrap. Then taped the entire box with packing tape, seems to help protect from things pooking thru the box. I shipped this one Fedex 3-day express saver and it cost around $60 from Maine to California. But UPS ground would have been around $30, but the person wanted it quicker....he was paying so it didn't matter to me.
    You can never use enough bubble wrap when packaging up speakers.....I have shipped a few large speakers and just bubble wrap everything, and also you can go to Home Depot and get some styrofoam insulation sheets about 1" thick and line the inside of the box with that. Just package it as if it was coming to you.......that is a safe way to do it.
    ------------------
    Home Theater Page

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Just assume the box will be tossed off the back of trucks...and fall 4-8ft to concrete floors.
    As mentioned...wrapping in multiple layers of bubble wrap can work very well...but I'd suggest at least 2-3" thick.
    2-3 day fedex(not fedex ground) seems to handle large boxes much more carefully in my experiences..so see what a quote would be for them.
    TV

4. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

FedEx ground would be the best route IMHO.