New SVS Driver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Weeks, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Tom Weeks

Tom Weeks Stunt Coordinator

My computer has been down for awhile, so I'm not sure if this has already been amply addressed yet. I am curious if any of the SVS owners have received and installed the new driver upgrade. If so, can you really tell any significant differences. I have the 20-39 PC and have been very curious about this. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Barry Barnes

Barry Barnes Stunt Coordinator

I saw a couple of user reviews on that very subject. Unfortunately, I can't remember which forum they were on. One guy even included some photos comparing the the two drivers. The new driver looked significantly more "beefy" and he thought it performed audibly better than the original. IIRC he said it packed a bit more punch and got a tad deeper. You might try some search strings as I am thinking I saw that review here at HTF...

3. Terry Flink

Terry Flink Stunt Coordinator

My 20-39CS sounds better than ever. The "difficult" bass like TPM and Toy Story 2 seem effortless now. Well worth the investment. What was room filling bass is now heart stopping....

4. GabrielC

GabrielC Stunt Coordinator

Hey Tom,

I'm pretty sure that there have been quite a few people that have installed the new SVS ISD, myself included. From reading other posts, responses from other members have ranged from a large change in impact, to a more subtle change of strength in tone and power. In all cases though, it is more resistant to bottoming out.

My personal experience with my 16-46CS hasn't included bottoming the driver out, but I do believe that it has changed for the better, it seems cleaner and has better output. The driver is noticeably larger and heavier than the older driver which you'll see if you decide to make the change!

If I had to do it again, I think I would have rather sold my SVS and then bought a CS+ (I recalculated AFTER I bought the driver and I think I screwed myself over due to border charges...the trouble of ordering from Canada). But since you're in the states, it's probably an option that may seem better suited to you!

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The feedback on the driver upgrades has been extremely postive...but the overall improvement noticed will probably be dependent on several factors...

1)how large is the room

2)how far from the subwoofer are the key listening positions

3)how do you have the sub calibrated(hot?)

4)do you like to listen to bass heavy DVDs/Cds loudly?

TV

6. LarrySkelly

LarrySkelly Stunt Coordinator

I upgraded a pair of 16-46CS's a week ago and I have not had too much time to listen yet, but...

- The first thing I listed to was TPM, the THX intro and the pod race. I have a very large room so my amp/subs were set on the edge of bottoming out on the intro. I noticed an improvement with the new drivers, but not huge.

- I watched Elevations (U2) today and I thought the bass from the new drivers sounded really good, they seem tighter than the old ones.

The drivers are definitely much larger than heavier than the originals.

I need time to listen more and will report back once I have.

Larry

7. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Tom: Do what I did when I found out last week about the driver (I haven't spent much time in the speaker/sub forum). I ran a search using the "upgraded driver" in the sub/speaker forum and found an hour's worth of info and reviews.

Good Luck

Ron

8. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

I found a significant difference(about 5-6dB more output) in my large room as measured by a RS SPL meter.