What's new

New Superbits for September including Lawrence of Arabia (1 Viewer)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I don't mind double dipping when its one of the greatest films ever made :). I'm glad its going to be done right this time, but like others have said i'm not offloading the LE.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Man, September is looking tremendously expensive.

On the other hand, I'm broke now, so at least I know I can go ahead and hock my copy of Lawrence of Arabia. :laugh:

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
If anyone has input on my earlier questions, I'd love to know: did Columbia do right by Bridge, given the troubles with Lawrence, and is there any word on Ryan?

If I abbreviate any further, I'll have a pitch for a television sitcom. :)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I have the one disc of BotRK, which has the same transfer as the 2 disc LE.

Two words: It sucks.

If this is a restoration, I'd hate to see what the negatives and audio tracks looked and sounded like beforehand! The compression job is horrid too.

Dan

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Dan, the 1-disc DVD might be different.

My father has the 2-disc edition and it looks superb. The credits look like crap (well, what can you say for anamorphic scope on 16mm?) but the rest looks amazing. The audio is obviously Chase-ized (although, logicially...the surrounds make sense. At least it wasn't LA traffic sound effects added)

Columbia sometimes has too much ringing on their transfers, but Kwai isn't terrible.

I may be reading thing differently, but I might end up with a 2nd DVD of Lawrence of Arabia in my DVD rack. Of course, I'll wait for a certain column mentioning it. :D

Tim RH

Second Unit
I just watched the (2-disc) KWAI DVD today, and I think that the film looks absolutely fantastic (aside from a bit of annoying edge enhancement)! I would say it is far better than LOA too. A really great job in my opinion, though RAH may have something else to say about it.

Luis A

Second Unit
I'll skip the SB of LOA. It's not a movie I really care for anyway even though I love SB's. I'll be getting Leon though, best movie of the 3 announced IMO.:)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I think that the Kwai transfer holds up very well. I can't believe anyone would say "it sucks".

Anyway, will Lawrence: Superbit have 'new' transfer with all the nessicary corrections made? Or is this just wishful thinking?

Gordy

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Anyway, will Lawrence: Superbit have 'new' transfer with all the nessicary corrections made? Or is this just wishful thinking?
The only indication either way thus far is a cryptic comment from Mr. Harris earlier in the thread. Given that he usually tends not to make gratutitous cryptic comments of that sort, one is inclined to think that the forthcoming disc will be corrected, presumably based upon the 70mm prints that Mr. Harris helped color correct and which played around the U.S. last year.

DJ

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I think the transfer of Bridge on the River Kwai (on the two disc edition, anyway) is quite good all things considered.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There are definately parts of Kwai that suffer from print damage, but overall looks good to me, though I too would love to hear Mr. Harris' opinions on it ;)

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
To Bill Burns:

If you go to this site for Pacific Title:

http://www.pactitle.com/pages/home/index.html

then click on Credits and look under Preservation/Mastering, you'll see RYAN'S DAUGHTER right at the top of the list. It's been there for a long time, though. I e-mailed Pacific Title and asked if the movie was being released soon, and I got a reply saying that decision was completely up to Warner Bros. But at least there's hope for it.

RYAN'S DAUGHTER is one of the most underrated movies ever. Imagine how great it's going to look and sound when it finally makes it to DVD.

--Bill

RichD

Agent
If anyone involved in the Superbit of LOA is reading this: please, please, no edge enhancement!

The first time I learned what EE was, it was from a screencap of LOA. Now that I have a projector, I don't need to try to look for it -- it's everywhere I look on LOA. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks