What's new

New Superbit Line-Up - March 4th, 2003 (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Here is the next line up for the Superbit titles, street date tenatively being March 4th, 2003.

The Dark Crystal

Das Boot: The Director's Cut (2-Disc Set)

From Here to Eternity

Heavy Metal

Labyrinth

Legends of the Fall

Seven Years in Tibet

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
WOAH MAMA!
Dark Crystal & Labyrinth Superbit DTS.
This is a little too good to be true.
Looks like I'll have to buy these and stick my other versions in a 2 disc case, cause I still want the extras.
I thought Heavy Metal was already announced for next week???

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
This is in no way knocking the film itself, but what exactly is the point of a Superbit version of From Here To Eternity? Do we really need a DTS track for a movie made in 1953?

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Finally can get one that is not a flipper.
What's the differance? The movie is now gonna spread out over two dvds rather than 2 sides of 1 dvd. I imagine both discs will be dual layered, thus highly raising the bit-rate over the current version. But people looking to buy it just because they don't like flippers are not going to be gaining much.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
heavy metal 2000 superbit comes out next week.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
This is interesting news, and shows CTS perhaps experimenting a little. From Here To Eternity will be their first Academy Ratio Superbit title, and with this and Labyrinth originally presented on DVD in mono and Dolby Surround respectively, these may be their first pair of non-5.1-channel Superbit titles.

Adam

Zane Charron

Second Unit
Clear me up on this please. For Superbit titles do they actually do new transfers and tweak the picture or just ditch the extras and maximize the bit rate?

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I always thought that the audio on the current Labyrinth DVD was extremely poor and muffled (even for Dolby Surround). The picture wasn't exactly brilliant either. If CTS can work some magic into the Superbit release then I'll be happy to repurchase. Original Artwork on the cover would be nice too... ;) I shall keep a keen eye on the advance reviews come Spring.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
in the case of FHTE, is this a superbit in lieu of a full blown restoration?
i still haven't sat actually down to watch the current disc yet, but flipping thru it when it came out, it seemed if there were problems, they weren't due to lower bit rates.
i realize they (superbits) have many fans here, but i've been fairly underwhelmed with what i've seen so far.
although i'm all for the idea of focusing on quality catalog titles over some of the big budget crap they've been concentrating on-
this one has me really scratching my head.
i'll be very surprised if this one, as a whole, looks better than any of the classic Warner catalog titles released recently.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
I may get Das Boot, depending on price. I haven't bought the DC yet due to knowing it would be hard to find time to sit down and really watch it.

However, the widescreen review info has stated that the DC is pretty darn good. That being said, who knows what I'll do. With a commentary that would likely be lost, and the overall good quality of the DC, I still may hold off.

Widescreen review info via Amazon:

Widescreen Review:
Picture Quality: 5 (5 is the highest rating)
The anamorphic widescreen DVD, when viewed through the component video output, is dramatically sharp and detailed. Sourced from a Sony HD transfer with newly restored elements edited into this 209-minute epic, contrast and shadow detail are well resolved, as is color resolution. Subtitles are easily read on the DVD. The anamorphic and letterbox aspect ratios are matted at 1.85:1.

Sound Quality: 4.5 (5 is the highest rating)
The movie was shot silent (because of exaggerated camera noise in the submarine interiors) and completely looped in German and English. The DVD's exclusive Dolby® Digital 5.1 discrete soundtrack is terrific. This masterful piece of restoration work includes a mix of new, more authentic sound effects to enhance the emotional impact of the film. The discrete soundtrack reflects the full extent of the re-designed, re-recorded and re-mixed soundtrack. Surround envelopment is superb and enhanced with .1 low frequency effects. The music score is generally wide. Dialogue on both versions sounds virtually identical in spatial integration, and sounds incredibly natural overall.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
The Dark Crystal's current DVD has terrible picture and sound if you ask me...a new SuperBit is very much wanted in my house.

I will also be picking up Labyrinth, and I agree with the person above who said the sound seems muted on the current disc. I wanna hear David Bowie in dts 5.1!

I have been avoiding a purchase of Das Boot in hopes that something better comes out soon and looky here...definete buy for me!

I'm a fan of the SuperBit line and can't wait to add these three to my other 3 SuperBits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks