What's new

New Superbit Deluxe Titles-9/17 (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Hey
In case you didn't know yet, Columbia will release The Mask of Zorro and Snatch as Superbit Deluxe titles on September 17th. The same day, Panic Room will arrive as well as a possible Superbit title. Finally, Columbia is doing Superbit right.

My DVD Collection
To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men.

Ken Bentley

Second Unit
hey great news thanks... i almost picked up the mask of zoro the other day. thansk for the info... saves me some money...fo rthis superbit version

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Bad news for me though since I already own the special edition of Zorro. Oh well, to the auction block it goes.
Unless someone else wants it.

My DVD Collection

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Well, if you think about it.
Mask of Zorro is a GREAT choice.
Now we won't be stuck with a useless P&S copy:)
I'll buy Zorro, but not Snatch.
Snatch has great extras.

Han

Second Unit
You know, I wonder if DTS geared titles are allowed to satisfy the DVD specs' requirements by making a commentary track as the required Dolby Digital track.

One thing I don't like about these superbits, deluxe or otherwise, is no commentary. How much room can a DD 1.0 or 2.0 commentary track take up?

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Wow!

Columbia Tri-Star makes us buy The Mask of Zorro with a dts soundtrack AGAIN!

The original release was a Deluxe Widescreen Presentation in 16:9 with just a short featurette and Dolby Digital English audio only.

The "Special Edition" added a dts soundtrack, audio commentary, documentary, and a pan & scan version of the film.

I'd love to know how they could possibly improve the dts soundtrack on the current special edition disc.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I'd love to know how they could possibly improve the dts soundtrack on the current special edition disc.
A DTS soundtrack, being fixed bitrate, can't be improved just by giving it more space, unless they upped it from half-bitrate to full-bitrate. Video, being variable bitrate, is where improvement is possible.

DJ

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I don't think that Zorro really warrents another DVD. There have alredy been two releases of the title on the format, and the most recent special edition showed the movie in the best way it will look on DVD. Besides the commentary and the full-frame presentation on disc 2, there are only a couple of extras, nothing to really warrant a Superbit Deluxe. I don't imagine the sound improving much on the disc,since it already had a DTS track which was quite good Only the picture will improve, although I think slightly.
I can't say the same for Snatch since I haven't seen it.

My DVD Collection

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Digital Bits and DVD File confirm Panic Room will street as a superbit on Sept 17th, with a 2 disc SE to follow (date for the SE unknown).

Dan

carl.k

Auditioning
Think Columbia Tri-Star will ever give us Superbit releases of classic films like ON THE WATERFRONT, EASY RIDER, THE DEEP or FIVE EASY PIECES?

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I don't really think On the Waterfront or Five Easy Pieces would benefit from a DTS track. Superbit titles seem to be confined to more recent, "blockbuster" films. I think the oldest film is "Dracula". They are certainly chosing odd titles (Anaconda, which practically no-one likes) or completely unnecessary ones (as noted Mask of Zorro already has a DTS track on the existing SE and looks fine).

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I think Coulumbia needs to get straightened out in regards to DVD releases. For a while they did ok, releasing a title as just a bare bones or as a special edition, depending on what the movie warranted. Then came the Superbit releases, which has yet to catch on to consumers or offer a decent title from the studio. Now, to much disappointment to DVD consumers, they release a bare bones edition and announce a special edition is on the way. I think this needs to be sorted out. If you are going to release a title, do it and leave it at that. In the case of Panic Room, they release the Superbit FIRST, then the special edition later. This is even more of a hassle, since those who want a more quality title and get there moneys worth have to wait longer than they should, and only those interested in Superbits and care about the quality benefit more from this. In the case of Black Hawk Down, they release an empty title only to announce a special edition at the same time. Now a compromise: spend money now to have the movie, or wait and get your moneys worth, even if you have to wait a while. I think this problem needs to be brought to Columbia's attention immediately, because this is causing more of an upset among consumers than a benefit. Very few people know about these details since they are mostly restricted to the internet community, leaving the general public in the dark. They have no idea that they are being cheated out by nothing by a marketing strategy designed to make the most money out of situation.

My DVD Collection

DanR

Supporting Actor
I have had Mask of Zorro SE on my list of titles to buy for almost a year now. The only thing that was hlding me back was that Obi noted in his review that some of the fine video detail from the 1998 DVD was missing in the SE. Now, it seem I will get the best of both worlds, sans the commentary. I'm definitely purchasing Mask of Zorro Superbit Deluxe.
I'm considering Anaconda Superbit as well. It's a guilty pleasure movie for me. :)
Regards,
Dan

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I don't think that Zorro really warrents another DVD.
Exactly! It doesn't warrant another release. This will be the third time Columbia has released Mask of Zorro. The current 2-disc set already has a phenomenal transfer and surround sound. Columbia is slowly becoming the worst studio at releasing DVDs. Start putting out some product that hasn't been released 2 or 3 times already you ding-a-lings.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The current MOZ (2 disk w/s & p&s) has a commentary. Where will the commentary be on the superbit deluxe then, on disk one with the movie? I was unaware that there was a lack of fine video detail with the SE as compared to the original version. What a blunder if true. This does not make any sense at all, especially given CTS's description of the SB process alotting more space for video.Link Removed

DanR

Supporting Actor
I've gone to over a 1/2 dozen stores in Chicago and it's suburbs (including Best Buys, Circuit Citys, Tower Records, Sam Goody, etc) and not one fo them has Mask of Zorro Superbit Deluxe. I'm really irritated right now. I don't think they're all sold out either. I think these stores just aren't carrying them or getting them on the shelves on time. Panic Room and Anaconda are all over the place. Anyone else having this problem woth Zorro?

Regards,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks