What's new

New Subwoofer Questions (1 Viewer)

ChrisAMar

Auditioning
So I just received a new subwoofer in the mail today, and the moment I turn it on, there is a slight humming noise. It's not caused by the cable hooked to my receiver since there is still humming when not hooked to my receiver. Anyone have an idea what could be causing this. Also, just another small question, what is the phase switch for (Normal and Reverse) on the subwoofer.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

So I just received a new subwoofer in the mail today, and the moment I turn it on, there is a slight humming noise. It's not caused by the cable hooked to my receiver since there is still humming when not hooked to my receiver. Anyone have an idea what could be causing this.

Also, just another small question, what is the phase switch for (Normal and Reverse) on the subwoofer.
__________________________________________________ _________

1-. Try connecting the subwoofer to the SAME power outlet as the rest of your HT gear.
Barring that, "lift" the ground prong, if the power cord has three prongs, by using an adapter (easily found at Rat Shaks, Home Depots, etc.).
Hum is usually, although not necessarily so, associated with ground loops occurring in your system when audio components, some with grounded chassis and some with ungrounded chassis, are connected in different AC power outlets.

2-. Toggle the PHASE switch back and forth until you hear the more robust bass signals possible from your usual sitting location. Leave it on whatever position produces the "best" sound.
There are more "scientific" methods to attain proper bass signals phasing, but that's way beyond the scope of this little bit of help... :D

-THTS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks