New subwoofer project suggestions........

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Chris Brock, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

I am planning on starting a new subwoofer project. After some research I think I am looking at using a 15" Dayton DVC and housing it in a ported enclosure with 8 cubic feet of internal volume, I would tune it around 20hz and I would use a Rythmik 350 plate amp from acoustic-visions. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments about this project?

Thanks!!

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Should be okay although I've no experience with the Rythmik amp. I have heard good things about PE's 250W amp which has found favor with many builders. Your proposal looks to be straight out of WinISD. It's similar to the Adire Tempest 214 liter vented enclosure which I've built. Will you be using one vent or two? What about stuffing?

3. darren_s

darren_s Agent

Only comments I can make is that is one big box, I made a 5 cubic foot box and need a dolly to move it around LOL.

4. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

I'll second Darren -- assuming the box will be made out of MDF and well braced, 8 cubic feet will weigh a ton.

How do you guys move these things around? I built a sub in a 20" cube (internal). Anticipating how heavy it would be, I put mine on wheels so I would be able to move it around and then had to buy a hand truck to get it up from the basement!

5. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Hand truck and French doors. I had to install the French doors to get the big screen in anyway. [​IMG]

6. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

My AV15 sub has an internal volume of around 8.5 cubic feet and two layers of MDF with bracing! It isn't too hard moving it around with the hand truck. You could do just one layer of MDF though, and get rid of a bunch of weight, just brace it good. I don't think you will need the rythmik amp, the PE 250watt amp would do fine. The rythmik is a great amp though, it's what I use with my AV15.

7. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

thanks for the feedback guys!! actually back in my younger days i used ot be big into car audio. at one point I have a Mercury Mountaineer with 4 15" subwoofers in a wall build behind the front seats. total internal volume was right at 25 cubic feet and all the walls were 1.5"MDF with bracing all through it. It was powered by about 8000wrms. i consistantly hit over 155db at 30hz.

anyways, that said, 8 cubes seems like a nice size! hahah

I am actually planning on doing a slot port at the bottom of the box that is 3" tall and 12" wide. so that will give me 36sqin of port area. As far as the amp goes I think I am more interested in the Rythmik just because it is less commin and it would just be a little different then the norm.

8. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

If you want to save a few bucks , the 360W MCM plate amp is $139 shipped if you order by tomorrow. It saves you about $30 if you take order before the free shipping ends tomorrow.