New Subwoofer box design

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by MikeGee, Aug 24, 2005.

1. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

Hey guys here is my problem.

The subwoofer in my car works fine except for the fact that the box keeps moving around. I've tried many things to keep the box in place, Velcro, and even putting L brackets to hold it down however its not holding up as i'd have hoped.
    i have 1 12" subwoofer and i'm looking at making a longer box just for more stability. Do you think that this might be a smarter move to keep the box steady? It seems to be my only resort.
    Oh and if you are wondering why it moves around so much its because i run this car in autocross once in a while and it sees alot of wild turns.
    Any help would be appreciated

2. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

Never, ever, ever autocross or race with heavy loose items in the car. Put quick disconnects on the box and take it OUT when you race!!! You mentioned L brackets, I assume you bolted the bracket to the box and then to the car...so what went wrong with this solution???

3. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    If your Autocross group is legit and endorsed by the SCCA, they would make you take out any stereo stuff from the trunk to autoX anyway, no matter how well secured.

4. Matt_Beals

Matt_Beals Extra

why would you want to race with that much extra weight in there anyway? You do know it's 100 lbs per tenth in the quarter

5. Bob~C

Bob~C Auditioning

Actually, I am a Solo Safety Steward, and I tech cars for our Badlands Region events. A subwoofer in the trunk is fine, as are amps and other stereo equipment, as long as they are securely fastened to the car, and do not move or pose any safety threat. That said, almost everybody who autocrosses removes the sub (and spare, and other items) from their trunk, mainly for weight issues.

Personally, I have devised a system where I can remove my sub and sub amp in about 2 minutes. It is securely fastened in place for street driving, as well. Each car will require a unique solution for this, but a relatively easy, generic approach is to screw your sub amp to your sub, and then place a quick disconnect plug in the wiring to the sub amp. I use a system of screws into the mdf false floor of my trunk to secure the sub box. The top is also secured through a short length of rubber hose which is bolted to the top of the box, and then attached to the rear seat bracket stud with a wingnut. Shoot a message my way if you want more information or pictures.