New Sub worth it?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mark*M, May 3, 2004.

1. Mark*M

Mark*M Auditioning

I have a 27X25 basement with 7 foot ceilings that is carpeted and insulated throughout. I have a Kenwood VR-510 Receiver, Klipsch RS3II fronts,RC3II center, RS3II surrounds, and a Sony SAWM40 12" Sub (120 Watts).

As you can see by my equipment, I am no audiophile. I purchased what I have because it seemed to the best quality for what I was willing to spend. My sub is the last piece of my original equipment. The sub seems adequate, but I can't "feel" it.

After reading about the SVS subs on this forum I was thinking of purchasing a PB1-ISD. I guess I need to know if this would be a "night and day" difference? Would I feel that sub in my large basement?

Any help here would be appreciated.

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

The difference between the Sony and a PB1-ISD will be night and day. For sheer SPL's and response down low the Sony, while a good little sub for not much money, is not even close to the SVS. That is a big room however, so even the SVS may struggle to get reference bass.

3. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Our basement is about the same in cubic feet... I would recommend the 25-31 PCi... it will have the highest output from 25 HZ up of any standard driver SVS ... and will give you really powerful bass in that room !

4. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Yes it will be worth it. You may need to give your ears a chance to adjust from the boominess of the Sony to the clean, deep bass of the SVS.

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Personally, in a basement of that size, I'd spend my $$ on an infinite baffle setup. Best bang for the buck in this situation - and plenty of bass that you should be able to feel.

6. greg baker

greg baker Stunt Coordinator

Craig I thought the PCI 25-31 and the PB-1 had almost identical characteristics for output. Is there a small difference in the two?

Greg

7. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    Greg - Yes, the slightly larger internal volume and signifigantly larger porting area will give more output in the 22 to 30 Hz range with the cylinder...

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've heard the WM40 and 25-31. The WM40 doesn't even begin to approach the capability of a 25-31.

9. Mark*M

Mark*M Auditioning

That is what I wanted to hear. My Sony has done me well. I have performed the mods suggested on other forums and that definitely cleaned up the sound, and removed boominess. However, there is no "punch" and it seems I just don't even hear some low end effects at all.

I will be ordering my SVS PB1-ISD tomorrow and hopefully my wife won't notice the change???

Thanks for the push.....

10. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

pb1 is good - i like the 22-31PCi better though - cheaper and easier to corner load. but hey, go for what u want! [​IMG]

11. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

You would be hard pressed to hear anything more than subtle differences between these three subs:

25-31 PCi
    PB1-ISD
    "22-31" PCi (a 25-31 PCi with a factory 22 Hz tune – longer vent)

They all employ the same driver, vent size, and amplifier.

The cylinders are a bit less expensive to manufacture, so they offer a slightly higher performance/$$ ratio. And they have a smaller footprint. The box is more traditional, and a box design is important to many prospective buyers.

Since they will all offer very similar performance, I think aesthetics and personal preferences will probably influence your final decision the most.

And yes, any of the three will completely embarrass the WM40.

Regards,

Ed