What's new

New Sub? Velodyne DPS-12 (1 Viewer)

carl_lunenfeld

Auditioning
I have an opportunity to get a Velodyne DPS12 for $220 brand new. It's an accommodation from work.

I currently have 4 B&W 601s3 and LCR600s3 with B&W ASW300 sub.

The deal looks to good to pass up. Should I be concerned with going from 8" to 12" sub and creating a lopsided system. Or is that configurable.

I have a Pioneer Elite VSX33TX. The setup is about 3 years old. It's been moved from a small living room to a larger basement.

I've always been satisfied with my bass and never considered an upgrade until I saw this offer.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Carl

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like a great price, carl! I suggesting giving the Velodyne sub a try, as moving forward you will not be left with uncertainty or regret that may have come from passing up the offer.

Sincerely,

steve nn

Senior HTF Member

Not to worry! Just be sure to calibrate and find the best placement if you have options. You could run a 18" sub and you would be fine - well - as long as the sub is decent!

AngeloEug

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Carl,
I think that you will enjoy your new DPS. I was running a DPS10 for some time and found that it was very easily matched to both small and large speakers. Giving the illusion of much larger front speakers.

I also at one point owned B&W 601S3's and found that they were not lacking in the bass dept. on their own. Running them with the Velo should give you pleasing results.

The only drawback, if any, might be the "speed" of the 12" vs. the 8" driver however the low-end response and pure output should make up, if any, negligable differences in that dept.

I'm making the assumption that you will use this with HT as well since you've got 4 601's rather than just 2 for 2 channel material and will find yourself smiling on many occasions.

The one thing that I disliked about the DPS series is that there is no manual level adjustment...it is all done "digitally" via the buttons on the front of the sub. There is no indication as to the level other than the most extremes of full gain and 0 gain.

Other than that I do believe you'll enjoy the minimal investment of $220 for such a unit.

In the worst case, you can purchase it, decide you don't like it and sell it for a profit STILL. In fact, you can swoop up quite a few (unless there is a limit) and possibly make a few hundred bucks farely quickly via ebay or on such forums as this one.

Give it a try, the worst you can do is make money off of it.

HTH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks