What's new

New sub project underway!!! Pic!!!! (1 Viewer)

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
I wish I could take credit for the fine cuts on the MDF. It's that (and I believe it is now discontinued) Tempest kit from Parts Express that I've finally gotten around to putting together.

The cuts in the kit are very accurate. Just a matter of glue and nailing.

Steve

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Another pic:

[url=http://img164.exs.cx/img164/5523/img000020ab.jpg] [/url]

I really don't know what the heck I'm doing with it though. Just lining the walls with that foam stuff from Parts Express and plan on leaving it sealed. I don't have a clue on how to "tune it", so guess I'll just have to leave it sealed.

Cabinet is a Parts Express 3.0 cubic foot behemoth. It is very heavy.

Anyway, I'll send a couple more pics along with the progress I make with it.

Steve

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Optimum size sealed enclosure for the 12" DVC is 1.2 cubic feet. Anything larger and you are at risk of bottoming the driver. This was deterimined a couple of years ago on the PE tech talk board.

Since we know it's a 3 cubic foot cabinet, you can tune it by putting in a 3" PSP flared port (available from PE). This will give you something very similar to the Adire Alignment designed for the Shiva.

-Robert

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Robert. Guess I'll get the ole' Parts Express catalog back out!! Needed "feet" for the sub to sit on, anyway. Was going to make them, but since I'll be looking into a port, guess I'll just have them send me some "feet" as well. Thanks.

Steve

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Oh man, I just knew this was going to happen.........the reason I've been putting this project off is because of all the different "ways" I could go with it.......sealed, ported, etc.

I looked in the Parts Express catalog and am not sure which one to order. Any help on this?

Any other suggestions or things I'm overlooking? Thank you.

Steve

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
3" flared port

You will have a little less than 85L when you subtract the port displacement. Comparing that to the Adire Alignment, you will be tuned a little higher than 20hz.

-Robert

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks a lot for the link, Robert. Now, with my current configuration, driver mounted on the bottom of the cabinet, plate amp in the back, where do I mount the port? On the front?

Sorry my questions are on the border of pre-school. Even though I know next to nothing about how to build this stuff, I still, have a lot of fun doing it!! :D

Thank you.

Steve

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mount the port where ever you have room to put it. Inside the box, make sure the opening is not obstructed by a brace or side.

Leave the port the same length it comes. No need to change it.

-Robert

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
One more question...........how to cut the hole for the port? I had real good luck cutting the hole for the driver since the circle was so large, and, if I was off just a little, it wouldn't matter. Used a jibsaw.

But a small hole like that.........what to do?

Thanks.

Steve

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Dang, one more question. I have lined two walls with foam. Is this the best thing to do? Line all the walls.....line none? Any guidance on this one!

Thanks again.

Steve

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Cut a 5.75" diameter hole for the port. It has a flange that will cover the opening if it isn't perfect. Use a jig saw blade designed for cuting circles. link It's the 6th blade in the picture.

Just line the walls with open cell foam.

-Robert

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I'm very happy with the quality of the kit. The cuts are spot on. I don't know if this kit can be found anymore or not. I can't remember seeing kits that were 1" thick anymore. Lots of 3/4", but not any 1".

Once I get the cabinet finished like I want and mount the driver and amp, gonna need a fork lift to move it around!! Dang this is HEAVY!! ;)

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks