What's new

New Sub - Please take a look at the spl's (1 Viewer)

Dom H

Agent
MJ Acoustics Pro 50
Denon 3802
Room aprox 13'x12'
Link Removed
I am thrilled with the British Pro50, okay it's small (8" 50watt sssh!) but it's very tight and has superb transient response. The thing is the readings are a little confusing, why am I not getting a sharp rolloff ~25Hz?
Any comments on the readings and any extra thoughts on reducing the hump around 60Hz (I think they are combining with my mains x-overed at 80Hz) altering the phase has reduced it slightly.
Dom.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Not bad, fairly flat, seems a little low though. You could probably EQ that hump. I'm having a hard time to believe that 8" sub goes that low (16hz) your probably hearing harmonics right up to 25hz or so. You have a small room which helps you out.

You may want to actually run the tests at 0 or -10db, -30 is a little low to give actual readings in my opinion.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
If the room is fairly sealed...no large openings to other areas...rom gain will start in the mid 40s. Adding (in theory)12dB/octave. In the real world...figure 9dB/octave max. But that is still 9dB by 22hz and about 15dB by 16hz.

If you can measure the subwoofer outside(50-60ft from the nearest reflective boundary) this will give you an easy way to find out what the room is adding to the low freqs.

TV

Dom H

Agent
I have updated the file for my usual listening level -10dB (if my amp is callibrated to dolby 105dB, what volume will a cd of tones be with the volume at -10dB, 95dB?)
What is going on, how am I getting a flatish response all the way to 16Hz from an 8' sub with 50 watts?!? The door was rattling like crazy at 16Hz!
here is the sub MJ Acoustics Pro 50

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'm somewhat skeptical of the ability of an 8" driver and 50 watts to produce much useable output @ 20Hz and below.

Dom H

Agent
I have repeated the test at least half a dozen times all with similar results. I also have double checked the RS spl meter corretion values.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks