New sub, opinions please?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Daneel, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Daneel

Daneel Stunt Coordinator

I just bought this from a local hi-fi shop. It's a one off using a Mackie 12" driver (no more details than that) and his own 140W amp. Dimensions are 625mm tall and 474mm width and depth. I'd guess it weighs somewhere between 30 and 35 kg.

The design is something I've never seen before. It fires upward onto a dispersion plate which is like an upside down pyrimid. There is no crossover or anything fancy. Just a single port at the rear (about 3-4" I think, not measured), a low level input and a gain control.

The only thing I've compared it to is my Velodyne CHT-10 which it comfortably beats, though I'm judging purely by ear.

It is designed for hi-fi rather than HT use.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rob Formica

Rob Formica Stunt Coordinator

There is no doubt that it is a DIY sub, probably using a Mackie driver. Mackie makes mostly pro and studio gear... although it is possible that the 12” is from one of their subs, it is also possibly from a bass bin (more efficient but less bass extension). That would explain the 140W amp.

Unfortunately without knowing a little about the driver itself or the volume of the cabinet, it’s hard to comment on it’s potential performance. It’s one of the things which often limits the resale value of some great DIY subs...
    Later...
    Rob

3. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

If the speaker is the same as Mackie uses in their new line of powered subwoofers for studio use, it could have great potential. I believe that Mackie sourced these drivers from RCW (German company that makes prosound, and hi-end drivers. If the driver is a "typical" prosound woofer, then the low-bass potential is limited, if it the high-end RCW driver your sub should compete very well with the likes of Adire, Stryke, and PE DIY subs.
    JP