New sub design (Eclipse 15"), critique this design pleaes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ArmenK, Mar 20, 2002.

1. ArmenK

ArmenK Stunt Coordinator

I plugged in all the numbers into Unibox and the graph looks pretty good, let me know what you all think
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rudy H

Rudy H Stunt Coordinator

Check your actual driver excursion in the excursion graphs....also note that 29.7mm of XMAX is probably off...by quite a bit. I doubt that's the Xmax spec, but rather an Xmech/Xsus (suspension limit) spec.
    Also note that UniBox operates in 1way values for it's Xmax and excursion graphs, not 2 way. Peak to peak values would need to be divided by 2. And the reading from the excursion graph would need to be doubled to get your total excursion at whatever frequency.
    Rudy

3. ArmenK

ArmenK Stunt Coordinator

hah, Viperoni, awesome. Seen you around ATOT alot, your posts are great and so is your webpage [​IMG] The Xmax I plugged in was the one that I found at 2 places that list the specs for this driver. They are labeled as one way so I assumed they were correct, even though those are some huge numbers. I dont know what other numbers I could use...

4. ArmenK

ArmenK Stunt Coordinator

alright, I found out that Eclipse posted some bogus numbers on their website. The actual Xmax is about 14mm, not 29. Need some more adivce on the enclosure. Im gonna order the Nady 1400 watt amp that was disccussed in another thread. Using that to power this monster I think I can get some decent results.

5. Rudy H

Rudy H Stunt Coordinator

Told ya, just look at the surround, there's no way it could possibly support that much excursion.

I wouldn't go with that much power either, you'll be able to bottom it like there's no tommorrow.... not good.

6. rich r

rich r Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,

Just wondering what ATOT is ???

7. ArmenK

ArmenK Stunt Coordinator

ATOT is the Anandtech Off-Topic forums, a place where geeks discuss various subjects [​IMG]

8. Rudy H

Rudy H Stunt Coordinator

Armen I just looked at your settings, your series resistance is WAY too high. Lower it to around 0.2ohms, which is much more accurate, and you'll see how your box sizes change [​IMG]

9. ArmenK

ArmenK Stunt Coordinator

after plugging in the new Xmax and series resistance numers (thanks Rudy), the excursion graphs show way too much excursion, im kinda lost, what should I do?

10. Rudy H

Rudy H Stunt Coordinator

Go with a smaller vented box.

You might have to do something like a 5cf @ 30hz kinda box, but I'd probably stick with a sealed box.