What's new

new study says alcohol damages hearing (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It must have something to do with the repeated movement that causes the harm to your senses. Lifting the glass up, down to the table again, lifting it up... down... up...down.

What was that other activity again, the one that would make you blind?

Cees

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

:laugh: Yet again. What is it with you people always
bringing up my name in any thread that has 'Beer' in
the title? ;)

Currently, I'm in the process of getting a patent for
my beer can hearing aid. For those that love beer and
want to hear.

You know what's really great, my favorite brewery,
The Steelhead, just started serving breakfast,
going on Saturday. Beer-battered French toast.
I should be completely def by 40. :)

Peace Out~:D

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

Because we know you'll be around sooner or later. Probably sooner...

as leon the crack head put it "IS THIS THE 5 O'CLOCK FREE CRACK GIVEAWAY?!"

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
good......another reason for me not to touch that crap.

What's the appeal with alcohol anyway? Is it the taste? Is it the loss of inhibition? The social aspect; it's more fun if everybody gets a little smashed?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Great comments guys. I was deaf for two years when I was a kid and all these comments about hearing loss are just ****ing hilarious.

Say, what about a few jokes about drink driving accidents to complete the jollity?

Trust me, if you'd ever had to miss hearing for any length of time, you wouldn't make a joke about it.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I was unable to walk for several months when I was 24, yet I can laugh about it.

I guess I'm just thicker skinned and know how to laugh at myself. Also knowing that humor (which may seem cruel) is natural in most humans and I try to cut people a little slack every now and then.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

So it's okay if we have a few racist humour threads?

The occasional good-natured joke doesn't offend, I agree, but when it becomes open season for jokes about minority groups it becomes offensive.

John Watson

Screenwriter
I share your opinion Mark, there's no need to be defensive.

Lot's of people these days are too sensitive about what is offensive.

:frowning:

I would like to see a book on examples of "gallows" humour, as found in all professions/occupations.

I used to be an office space planner for an (unnamed) government organization, and eventually coined a phrase that represented my efforts to find a modus vivendi among many competing clients fighting over the same office space as "trying to do Rubic's Cube in the dark".

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
But that's the problem. What signifies a "good-natured joke"? No matter who you make a joke about, there will always be someone to get offended.

IMO, this thread seemed to be in "good-nature". I would agree if someone was intentionally cruel about it, but I highly doubt anyones intentions here was to be cruel.

This thread is merely making fun of those who loose their hearing from drinking (because it's a funny notion to us) and not at anyone who is (or has been) deaf.

It's a subtle line, but I doubt anyone here is intentionally making fun of the deaf. It's the overly sensitive people who are the ones who are turning our good-natured humor into some sort of an attack on a larger group.

p.s. There are tons of threads about the stupid things people do. What about those hidden camera shows that show people doing stupid things? Should we stop laughing because stupid people would get upset that we are laughing at them? Should we all feel like crap (and lousy human beings) because we sometimes laugh at the misfortunes of others?

Have you ever noticed how many jokes there are about death, being married, being single, etc. in sit-coms? It's funny how the death jokes don't seem as funny when you loose someone close to you, but you eventually get over it and realize that you do the same. That's why I don't get too mad at other people when they are laughing about something I have personal feelings toward.

Again, that's just human nature.

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
So is this why men with nagging wives drink so much?

WC Fields also once said:
"Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were forced to live on nothing but food and water for days."

BTW, I don't drink very much myself, in case I'm giving the wrong impression here (not married either :) )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks