1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

New Stewart Gray-Tinted Screen?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Mitchosky, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I saw mention of a new screen from Stewart that, like their current GrayHawk, has a gray substrate to improve black levels from fixed panel projectors. However, unlike GrayHawk, it has a higher gain at 1.3 (vs. 0.95). I have to assume that this really helps contrast ratio by improving black levels while not sacrificing image brightness. Does anyone have further information on this product?

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The firehawk just started shipping. People seem to really like it. If you drop by Stewart, you can see it.
    Here's a little of the info:
    http://www.stewartfilm.com/engineeri.../firehawk.html
    What kind of projector are you using it with?
    I was trying to decide whether to get the grayhawk or the firehawk, but ended up upgrading my projector.
    The screen size I have is only 80" diagonally (the biggest that will fit in that corner of the room).
    I used to have an Epson Powerlite 7350:
    1600 lumens
    XGA native
    1.3" TFT LCD's with MLA
    300:1 on/off contrast

3. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

The Firehawk is specifically made for use with DLP projectors. It is NOT recommended for use with an LCD projector. A Grayhawk is a much better match. At this time, the Firehawk is not offered with Stewart microperf. Good luck.

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

5. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Bill,

The Firehawk is made for low lumen projectors -- it just happens that most of them are DLPs.

If you push an LCD (or LCOS/D'ILA) to a large enough screen, the utilization of Firehawk might be warranted.

I'm a Firehawk Beta Tester. It's a nice improvement over the Greyhawk with my NEC LT-150 projector. There's a very, very slight hot spotting with 90 and 100 IRE fields, and has never been visible on any program material.

The added gain adds a bit of punch to the image that was lacking on Greyhawk, for higher contrast.

Hope this helped.

Regards,

6. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

John,

I like the specs of the Firehawk for DLP. However, Stewart is recommending the Firehawk for use with non LCD based projectors. I've recently spec'd out tow systems for clients and in each case Stewart made the above recommendation. Regards.