New stereo system

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Aaron_*P, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Aaron_*P

Aaron_*P Stunt Coordinator

Ok, got the home theater (Def Tech ProCinema 80, Yamaha RX V2200, Infocus Screenplay 7200 Projector). Replaced the 11 year old tv. Now it is time to replace the 15 year old stereo system. Since we recently got the home theater with pretty nice audio, I don't need an incredible stereo system, just something relatively good. My total budget is about $600 (I know this is small so I may be able to get a little more if needed). What is needed is a 2 Channel Receiver, 1 Pair of good indoor bookshelf speakers (certain members of the family prefer the size on the smaller end), and 1 Pair of outdoor speakers for the new deck (speakers will be mounted under a covering, however they will still be exposed to some ellements). I know the budget is small so I was thinking something around $150 for the receiver, $150 for the indoor speakers, and $300 for the outdoor speakers (the outdoor speakers will receive much more use than indoor). I will post a link to this thread in the speaker forum also as it concerns speakers and a receiver, rather then starting two independent threads.

2. Shannon S.

Shannon S. Stunt Coordinator

Most speaker companies make an outdoor speaker. I would check out Infinity, Paradigm, and B&W websites. Also, these are listed from cheapest to most expensive. The Nad c320BEE is the stereo integrated reciever that I use for my bedroom set. It may bee a little out of your price range for both receiver and two sets of speakers, but you may want to check it out also.

3. Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D Stunt Coordinator

Wow 600 bucks is a definate challenge.

-Denon has a 2ch reciever for $249.00, model number DRA 295, it is 50x2, Preamp outputs for Second room listening or for future upgrade path • Banana plug compatible speaker connectors • Remote In/Out ports • A/B Speaker selector. So thats not too bad of a price. I have had a denon reciever for the last 3yrs and haven't had 1 single problem. And I push it HARD.
    www.usa.denon.com

-Kenwood has a reciever for $170.00, model number VR-705-S. It isn't a two channel, but that could work out in your favor. You would be able to push 4 speakers with 4 amps. I don't know if it has a A/B speaker switch. See it at www.kenwoodusa.com it is on the second page under recievers.

For your indoor speakers your choices are better.
    -Rocket by Onix is a choice. Have heard nothing but good things about Rocket speakers. The model number for this pair is ELT-1 for $249.00 Go to www.av123.com for more info

-Another choice are the PSB Alpha Intro LR, they don't list a price for them. ButI know there old Alpha Mite were not expensive and they sounded very good. www.psbspeakers.com

-NHT SB1, since they don't list there prices on there website I don't know if this would work or not. go to www.nhthifi.com and see where a dealer might be near you. I have NHT and love them, not the SB1, but I do have the SB2. Very nice speaker.

So there are a few choices for indoor speakers. I think of those 3 choices the PSB would be the least expensive. But the NHT or the Rockets.

As outdoor speakers go, Niles and NHT make some of the nicest I've seen. Howevere they tend to be pricey.

-NHTs outdoor speaker is simply called the Outdoor 1. But once again there are no prices, so maybe if you call a dealer they can give you a price for them as well.

-Niles has one called the OS3. It is a indoor/outdoor speaker. I know for a fact that this is a good speaker. But I don't see a price anywhere. Their website is www.nilesaudio.com

I found this website that has a bunch of different outdoor speakers on it. www.hififorless.com maybe it can give you some more ideas. Since I know very little about outdoor speakers. Good luck, hope this was a little helpful.

Mike

4. Mike Knapp

Mike Knapp Supporting Actor

Mike
    I would go to Audiogon or E-Bay and pick up a vintage Marantz or Pioneer receiver. You wont beat the sound from those, they look ccol as all get out and they can be had for under 75 buck most often.

Then, I'd look at a pair of Epos bookshelf speakers. Available all over the net for about 299.00. Or even some Rocket ELT's. Great sounding speakers for a den or small system.

As for the outdoor speakers, I cant help you there.

Mike

5. Mike_J_D

Ok....listen if you didn't really want our advice then why did you bother posting. It is frustrating when you post a reply and that person never replys back. I don't care about the time that I apparently wasted trying to help. I just don't like people posting a question and never checking back to see the responses. And maybe I'm the only one who feels this way. But this happens a lot on all kinds of forums. And I'm venting this here because this is my one true passion. And I hate wasting time and knowledge on people who don't care enough to check their own posts.

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Maybe you were so clear and concise in your explanation he had all his answered questions after he checked them, but something came up before he could say thanks... Maybe he was so excited by the great info you have, he wanted to get started on shopping and installing it right away. [​IMG]

Its the internet, how can you assume he didnt check the thread at all? Let alone getting mad at him...

7. Kevin*Ha

Kevin*Ha Agent

FYI av123 just 'announced' an outdoor speaker. Here was the tidbit posted today:

"We will have some super waterproof Outdoor Speakers in the next 120 days… (you will not believe this product… and the vendor has graciously allowed me to re-design what he HAD built, and now we have a Rocket Worthy Product)… as well as several in-wall solutions that will have our custom touches as well… The prices will really embarrass the competition… and the performance is worthy of our name for sure in all cases. "

Judging by the quality of their other products these will likely be a contender.

8. Aaron_*P

I'm sorry I did not reply. All of the information was so incredible I didn't feel a reply was needed. I'm still new to this forum, and if that was bad ediquite I will try to improve. Thanks again.

9. Jeff Hipps

Jeff Hipps Stunt Coordinator

You might want to consider the Sherwood RX-4103. 105 Watts x 2 with A/B (both or neither) speaker switching available from the remote control.

Available at CC and elsewhere. The last time I looked the price at CC was under $100.

Jeff

10. JeromeS

JeromeS Stunt Coordinator

I would second Mike Knapp's suggestion of getting a vintage receiver. I recently got a Pioneer SX-750 for $50 and it sounds great. Plus with a vintage Pioneer or Marantz you'll get a pretty good tuner. Most will have between 40-80 watts but you'll find that this will be enough for your application.

As for bookshelf speakers, I don't know how you would feel with "B" stock(minor blemishes) or refurbished(returns) speakers but getting some will save a nice chunk of change. I'm thinking of getting some Axiom's from their factory outlet page.

11. Mike_J_D

And all I was saying is if you did a Thank You might have been in order. Thats all I wanted. Sorry for being so pissy. Sorry for being an asshole

12. Aaron_*P

Mike - Thanks for everything, you put alot of hardwork into your reply and a thank you was in order, don't worry about what happened.

My current setup that I'm looking at is (haven't bought yet):

Niles OS3 Outdoor Speakers from one call for $207
    http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_1198.htm

I'm looking at two choices right now for the receiver.

A Denon DRA-395 refurb from http://www.dakmart.com/website/ItemD...=26043&cID=111 (authorized dealer listed on denon website) for $180. The output power on the receiver is 80 watts, the speaker power handling however is only 75 watts, will this be a problem as long as I don't turn it all the way up?

Or a Harmon Kardon HK3375 from http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/shop...=198746#scroll for $155 (also factory refurbished).

Any recommendations on either would be highly appreciated.

Still researching and deciding on indoor speakers, but seriously considering NHT SuperOneXU for $255 (pair) from
    http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_1089.htm .

This brings the total to $642. Below budget!!!

13. Mike_J_D

Aaron if it were me I would go with the Denon. The NHT SuperoneXU is a great little speaker. Good luck. Sorry about my attitude, thanks for understanding.