What's new

New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones writers (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Inflation adjusted. US only. Last Jedi is right in the middle, which I'd say makes it very successful.

TPM made more, so I'm not sure how much money a movie makes determines how good it was. Mark Hamill put it best, talking about TLJ when he said that Disney doesn't care how good the movies are, they just want to make money.

On a different subject:

Something else I was thinking about: Spock, Thor and Luke. All heroic figures, written against established type in a movie.

I think of Spock in TMP. He's nothing like the Spock I remembered from the original series. Yet his desire to purge emotion and embrace pure logic was perfectly plausible because it had already been motivated in the TV show, which beautifully and consistently dramatized the conflict of his dual nature. Spock has a powerful arc that basically concludes with the idea that logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.

Same with Thor. Arguably, no one fights harder or has more terrible things happen to them in the MCU. But he never stops fighting, even after The Snap. He only gives up when Thanos destroys the stones. But once there's a viable plan of hope, he's back on the battlefield, beer belly and all.

As for Luke, Bryan^H you made a terrific point: His arc's not done yet. Thanks for not dismissing my POV. I appreciate the gesture and the comfort.

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Original fan here, I was 19 when Star Wars opened. I was enchanted by the worlds created in the original trilogy. I was excited when I heard there was going to be new films. My son was exposed to the original films on VHS tapes and he was approx. 3. We were not thrilled that the next set of films were prequels. We knew the history and didn't necessarily need to see it.

The prequel films have their moments, but they are to few. When a new series of films were announced, we were guardedly excited. Finally an honest to goodness exploration of the Star Wars universe with all of the main principals returning. We envisioned new adventures with a younger generation in tow. That is not what we got.

We were both overcome with emotion when Han and Chewie were reunited with the Falcon and kept waiting for Luke. I do know that we expected to see Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie, C3P0 and R2D2 all together on screen. Not necessarily cheated, but definitely disheartened. These guys were the original trilogy. The ending of TFA shot that reunion in the foot.

Robert and I were still hoping to again see magic with Luke training Rey. All we got was a whiny character where a great Jedi once stood. The third movie is upon us and we are not excited at all. We will probably see it, more out of completion than actual anticipation.

I never thought I would get "meh" over Star Wars, but I have reached that point. Not sure if this validates anyone else's points or not, just one original fan's feelings.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
As for Luke, Bryan^H you made a terrific point: His arc's not done yet. Thanks for not dismissing my POV.

I love The Last Jedi (I have watched it 16 times so far with the majority being 3D mainly followed by 4K). So your thoughts on it are intriguing, and honestly bring me to a deeper thinking of the film which I appreciate.

After watching the movie many times, I got a very strong feeling that there is indeed an outline to this trilogy. Too many intentionally vague scenes/dialogue followed by deliberate, and unexpected bold changes. And that my friend is the perfect structure for a satisfying payoff for the third installment.

JJ's "Mystery Box" (in this instance anyway) is not in effect.
I know he and Rian had a sit down with a discussion about how this is going to end. They had to have--after all, a multi billion dollar series of movies without use of a compass isn't smart business.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm an original fan as well. I was 10 when Star Wars premiered, and I've eagerly anticipated every film since. The Last Jedi was the only time I can remember sitting in the theater and thinking "that's it?" Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but it didn't blow me away or even thrill me, which the stand alone movies (Rogue One and Solo) did far more. Part of it was the handling of Luke. After the OT, I thought Luke would be anything but a reluctant hero. If something changed that in the intervening 30 years, we should have seen it. Part of it was the handling of Rey. I feel TFA set up a real mystery with her backstory (JJ Abrams and his goddamn mystery box; how I hate that) and Johnson fizzled it out. It was a huge let down, and really destroyed expectations. Lastly, I disliked the "chase," which wasn't much of one. I found the central premise of the movie implausible, that the New Order ships would pursue and not be able to catch the Resistance fleet as it crawls along. Star Wars movies have always been about speed, up until this one.

I'm also disappointed, as I know Mark Hamill is, that Luke, Leia and Han never got a reunion on screen. What a missed opportunity.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Part of it was the handling of Rey. I feel TFA set up a real mystery with her backstory (JJ Abrams and his goddamn mystery box; how I hate that) and Johnson fizzled it out. It was a huge let down, and really destroyed expectations. Lastly, I disliked the "chase," which wasn't much of one. I found the central premise of the movie implausible, that the New Order ships would pursue and not be able to catch the Resistance fleet as it crawls along. Star Wars movies have always been about speed, up until this one.

While I actually liked the way Luke was handled in TLJ (and I'm the same age as you), I agree with much of this. Johnson was the wrong choice to follow up what Abrams had set up. I think a lack of an overall coherent vision for the whole trilogy from the beginning has been tragic. And the slow chase/hyperspace tracking plots (which was borrowed directly from an episode of the Battlestar Galactica reboot.) had a decidedly un-Star Wars like feel to them.

That said I would still enjoy seeing what Johnson could come up with for a trilogy of his own. There is a lot in his take on Star Wars that I liked, too.

I'm also disappointed, as I know Mark Hamill is, that Luke, Leia and Han never got a reunion on screen. What a missed opportunity.

Agreed. However that is all on JJ Abrams and his decision to kill Han before that could happen.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Agreed. However that is all on JJ Abrams and his decision to kill Han before that could happen.

Oh yes. I haven't been any more thrilled with Abrams than I was with Johnson. I will, however, go see new Star Wars films by both of them.

It's the lack of a defined vision for this trilogy that really hurt TLJ more than anything.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I'm an original fan as well. I was 10 when Star Wars premiered, and I've eagerly anticipated every film since. The Last Jedi was the only time I can remember sitting in the theater and thinking "that's it?"
Even the prequels?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure it's validation I want. I just want to be heard by people I respect.

I think we all do.
Alan
I agree wholeheartedly. The reason I was hesitant about visiting the Star Trek Discovery thread (while I was still watching it) was that my negative reactions to many aspects of the series were met with scorn, and a mocking attitude from a few members.
Worse, I was threatened of being banned from the thread after I told someone to just "ignore" my posts...as they couldn't have a conversation with me anyway. I have pretty thick skin, but that hurt.
Back to "The Last Jedi" I love it, and you don't. We are still communicating in a friendly, and kind manner with completely different views of the movie. I wish every member on here were as welcoming and receptive as you are.
Respect.
Imagine that.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Even the prequels?

Yes, I enjoyed the prequels, even if I would have done things differently. In the cases of I and II, the excitement of having a new Star Wars film after so long carried them. The more I saw them though, the more disillusioned I was with them. As for Episode III, I loved it the first time I saw it and I still think it's a better movie than Return of the Jedi. (BTW, Episode I would be my least favorite Star Wars film, mostly because the tone of the movie doesn't fit the others. It's like it belongs somewhere else. ROTJ has a very similar problem with tone.)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That is not a legitimate journalistic outfit. Additionally, that “article” only cites a YouTube video as its source, and the video in question offers absolutely no evidence whatsoever and is in itself also not a legitimate journalistic source.

This means even less than if the National Enquirer had run it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I've said this before and I'll say it again: I don't think Lucasfilm is going to make any announcements about the future of Star Wars until after Episode IX. If they're smart, they're going to make the narrative this year all about the end of the Skywalker saga.

The first new slot Disney gave them to fill is December 2022. In order for that to be completed on time, they should probably be shooting that at some point in early-to-mid 2021. There is no reason for us to expect an announcement this year.

That doesn't mean Johnson's trilogy has been cancelled. It means he's working on Knives Out right now. Kathleen Kennedy said at Star Wars Celebration that she would be sitting down with Benioff and Weiss and Johnson to discuss the next ten years of Star Wars films. All of those guys have seats at the table with her for that discussion. Until Lucasfilm announces the results of that meeting -- which, again, does not need to be this year, I see no reason to think that anyone's projects have been cancelled.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok, now.....when do you think they are going to fire Benioff and Weiss? :D:D:D;)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I watch the you tube video that was used as the source for that "article" all the time and all he said is that he heard that the three release dates are for the Benioff and Weiss trilogy and he has no idea if the Rian Johnson trilogy is actually cancelled, postponed, or haven't been scheduled yet. He is also against things being reported as "confirmed" unless the source is the studio or a major trade like variety or deadline.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So it's also confirmed that Star Wars will really take a break. No more Star Wars movies until then. Not even Stand-alone ones.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So it's also confirmed that Star Wars will really take a break. No more Star Wars movies until then. Not even Stand-alone ones.

I thought that was clear from when Iger said Star Wars would take a "hiatus" a while back. I think Solo soured them on standalone films. I also don't think Disney is interested in making a mid-level Star Wars film. They want them all to gross $1 billion or more. The way to ensure that is to make them rare/special and not something you see every day, so a hiatus makes sense.

It is a surprise to me that Iger would confirm this so soon when there really was no need to do that now. Since he is now confirming that Benioff and Weiss are up next, it will be interesting to see what Johnson does next. I will not believe that his trilogy is cancelled until he and/or Lucasfilm say that it is, but I also don't think he's going to want to wait around for Benioff and Weiss to finish. It seems obvious to me that Benioff and Weisss and Johnson were hired when the plan was still to make one Star Wars film per year, in which case they would have needed multiple creators working at once. Now that they're backing off of that idea, their inventory needs have changed.

We'll see what happens.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I thought that was clear from when Iger said Star Wars would take a "hiatus" a while back.
I didn't think he means all movies. I thought he meant only saga movies.

So Johnson has to wait until at least 2026? For 8 years... for the release. Almost a decade to wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks