What's new

New Star Wars films from Game of Thrones writers (2 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
As someone who's not a Game Of Thrones fan, this isn't welcome news to me. And for Game Of Thrones fans who are being asked to wait more than two years for six episode seasons, I can't imagine it's welcome news for them either.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As someone who's not a Game Of Thrones fan, this isn't welcome news to me. And for Game Of Thrones fans who are being asked to wait more than two years for six episode seasons, I can't imagine it's welcome news for them either.
I'm not a big fan of Game Of Thrones either but I think my problems are related to the source material than the writing so I don't really have an opinion on what they'd do relying on their own ideas.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm more warm toward this project than the Rian Johnson one. After The Last Jedi and The Brothers Bloom, I realize that his humor is off and I'm not really on the same wave length.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
What I love about this is that Lucasfilm seems to be getting people whose work is fairly different from each other. Abrams isn't Edwards and Edwards isn't Johnson and Johnson isn't Howard and Howard isn't Weiss & Benioff. That should help keep the movies feeling more new than if every writer or director was someone who commonly makes $200 million movies.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm on board with this. I've really enjoyed "Game of Thrones". While the later seasons have had problems that the earlier seasons (adapted from GRRM source material) did not, they've also had their own worthwhile pleasures.

The one thing I don't like is how Lucasfilm appears to be targeting Marvel-esque saturation for the Star Wars franchise, with 1-3 films a year. I miss when Star Wars was an event that you had to wait for.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
The Marvel formula has worked pretty well for them so I can see why they'd want to do it. I can see people getting a little tired of it all at some point. I'm just about there myself with superhero stuff.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The one thing I don't like is how Lucasfilm appears to be targeting Marvel-esque saturation for the Star Wars franchise, with 1-3 films a year. I miss when Star Wars was an event that you had to wait for.
It's probably not firmly nailed down yet but I'm curious how long it's going to take these and the Johnson trilogy to come out. At best, they could each do a movie every other year and a "series of movies" probably means 3 or 4 movies so I'm thinking it'll be nearly a decade from now by the time all the recently announced movies finish up.

Another thumbs up is that these movies apparently aren't going to be tied-in to the existing movies or at least not in the way that Rogue One or Solo are.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Good news from my pov. Looking forward to quality Star Wars movies every year for as far as the eye can see....!!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't watch Game of Thrones, so really don't have an opinion on this since I don't know their work. I'm glad to see Lucasfilm expanding the franchise in new directions, but I wonder how this will correlate with Rian Johnson's new trilogy. It sounds like they are separate entities, but how will that work in terms of a release schedule, and in terms of introducing them as separate entities to audiences, but still retaining the Star Wars brand? I imagine these are questions Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm are dealing with, since they are going to have to be answered. Also, how much is too much?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Also, how much is too much?
I think in the next few years, there will be a number of big budget movies that lose alot of money and Disney will realize that Marvel & Star Wars need to pump the brakes to keep them profitable and to maintain their audiences. Nothing stays at the top forever but those two franchises can weather a storm better than anything else.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
How is this possible that they announce these projects before anything has been done and set in stone, they risk they could get canceled, yet they don't announce the Obi-Wan project that is almost shot. ;):P

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
How is this possible that they announce these projects before anything has been done and set in stone, they risk they could get canceled, yet they don't announce the Obi-Wan project that is almost shot. ;):P

I want the Obi-Wan project more than most, but with even Ewan McGregor saying he knows nothing about it, it's hard to see how it starts filming in 2019, as reports suggest.

Also, the projects announced (the Benioff/Weiss films and the Johnson films) have no details, only talent attached. Literally anything could happen with those projects.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
So, since the Disney take over we've had....

2015 The Force Awakens
2016 Rogue One
2017 The Last Jedi

And already finished or in production are...

2018 Solo
2019 IX (which doesn't have a title yet as far as I know.)

After that things get kind of vague, but....

2020 Is an Obi-wan movie in Dec. 2020 possible? Perhaps. If they are writing the screenplay now, and finish at the end of 2018, preproduction could happen in early 2019, filming in mid to late 2019, and a year of postproduction could get it to the theaters in 2020 for a December release. Seems possible.

2021 By December is it possible that the first new Rian Johnson trilogy movie could happen? I'm thinking yes. He's probably writing it now, but won't need to be done with writing the first screenplay with his team and mapping out the other two until the end of 2019, which gives him two years. Time enough imho in this new Kathleen Kennedy hyperspace Star Wars world.

2022 And here's where maybe we might see the first Star Wars movies by the GoT guys? Seems potentially possible, if it's a December release....

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I could be totally wrong but I think if they're announcing Johnson and Beinoff & Weiss' movies, those are the next ones after Episode IX with Johnson's trilogy starting in 2020. It just seems like if they were doing an Obi-Wan (or Boba Fett or whoever) movie that they'd have announced it prior to ones that they plan to follow it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks