What's new

New Star Trek: The Motion Picture DVD INFO (minor spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
From that website.....
On the 18th of August, Paramount officially announced the 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' Director's Edition DVD and VHS, scheduled for release on the 6th of November.
What is this?!?!? I thought that Paramount had NOT yet announced a release date and that the one mentioned above was merely tentative.
------------------
Tobor realized the error in his logic and fully understood the penalty of death from EMP.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I thought that Paramount had NOT yet announced a release date and that the one mentioned above was merely tentative.
Scott,
You can read the official announcement here .
The details of the 2 disc set are:
Disk 1
— A group commentary by Wise, special photographic effects director Douglas Trumbull, special photographic effects supervisor John Dykstra, music composer Jerry Goldsmith and actor Stephen Collins.
— A text commentary by Michael Okuda, scenic art supervisor currently working on Enterprise and co-author of The Star Trek Encyclopaedia.
Disk 2
— Three new retrospective documentaries with cast and crew interviews.
— Original teaser and theatrical trailer.
— New Director's Edition trailer.
— Eight TV commercials from the original theatrical release.
— Five additional scenes (from the 1979 theatrical version) plus trims and outtakes.
— Eleven deleted scenes (from the 1983 TV version).
— Storyboard archive.
— New Star Trek series Enterprise promo spot.
The DVD is presented in widescreen format enhanced for 16:9 televisions. The audio is presented in Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround and English Dolby Surround. The DVD is closed-captioned for the deaf and hard of hearing and subtitled in English.
The DVD of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture — The Director's Edition" will be available for a standard retail price of $29.99 in the U.S. and C$39.99 in Canada. The film is rated PG in the U.S. and Canada for sci-fi action and mild language.
Hope this helps!
Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Is the alcove mentioned in the article the memory wall? I couldn't think of anything else in that movie that would be a memory wall.
------------------
Tobor realized the error in his logic and fully understood the penalty of death from EMP.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Hope this helps!
Neil
It does; thanks.
This is easily one of my most eagarly awaited titles. I keep expecting it to be delayed to a point of not coming out until next year.
Earlier this year (approx 6 months ago) there was a posting somewhere, perhaps on this forum, about the only negative being damaged and unuseable. At the time I figured this was B.S.; there is no way Paramount one have only one negative that useable.
------------------

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Earlier this year (approx 6 months ago) there was a posting somewhere, perhaps on this forum, about the only negative being damaged and unuseable. At the time I figured this was B.S.; there is no way Paramount one have only one negative that useable.
That was proven within hours of coming out to be a complete and total lie. The negative WAS NOT damaged. This was a rumor started by a poster at the TrekBBS as a way to lure the producers into releasing information about this release.
Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Jacob - thanks for the link!
Really looking forward to this - some good questions were asked.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I knew their would be other star trek fans looking forward to the dvd as much as I am. I thought it was a great article. I am excited about this title and Terminator 1.
wink.gif

JACOB
------------------
The #1 Unoffcial Site Of Sarah Douglas
www.angelfire.com/ca4/sarahdouglas
Please vote for the uncut version of Conan The Destroyer on dvd
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/002724.html

SpenceJT

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Spencer
Great article Jacob!
I've been anxiously awaiting this title since the announcement of the first DVD to bear the Star Trek title.
Does anyone find it ironic that the entire library of Star Trek movies will be available available before even one of the Star Wars movies?
After all, it was the success of Star Wars that made Paramount re-think their plans for the planned television series, "Star Trek - Phase Two" and green-light the production of theatrical feature.
I'd like to give Paramount a nod of thanks for providing us with the titles on DVD. Granted, bare bones as most of the titles are, they have given us something, until which time they are re-visited, and all given "Special Edition" treatment.
...and Star Wars has been where?
------------------
SpenceJT
Link Removed
"...now what's all this crud about no movie tonight!"
- Thank you Mr. Lemmon

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Hmm, they haven't exactly treated the other movies well, though, have they?
And now we get told they're going to do SE's on each one. If Lucas had done that (non-anamorphic, badly done prints - and he could have) we'd have been laying into him for the same old tired money-making venture he's always up to.
Frankly, the Star Trek movies have been release even more times than the Star Wars ones and at lease with SW it hasn't been in boxed sets that claim to be the complete set and then there's another from nowhere in the cinemas. Paramount's money grabbing knows no bounds for video sets.
I will gladly wait to see what Lucas does in his limited situation (his company only does one thing at a time due to staff I would think - and we've got Episode II coming).
One day I hope to own all the even numbered Star Trek films in beautiful anamorphic video, hopefully with extras.
Theo
[Edited last by TheoGB on September 10, 2001 at 07:01 AM]

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
After all, it was the success of Star Wars that made Paramount re-think their plans for the planned television series, "Star Trek - Phase Two" and green-light the production of theatrical feature.
Well, actually what made Paramount pull their plans for "Star Trek - Phase Two" was the collapse of their plans to make a 4th Network at the time. Much later revived as UPN, after the success of Fox, at the time their plans for a new network just did not gel.
However, it WAS the success of Star Wars that led them to move the story onto the big screen, which is where it had originally been heading until the new network idea came along. In fact, the first thoughts about making Trek return as a film included a short list of Writers that included George Lucas! And a short list of Directors that included both Lucas and Speilberg! And Wise, course. When they went to TV, then all that was abandoned and models, props, costumes were made, stories written, and actors hired. Among them were the actors who ended up played Collins, Ilia, and Xon (Spock's replacement, since Nimoy declined to return) in ST:TMP. Well, the network plans fell apart. So Paramount says to themselves, "we've got this much done and SW was such a huge hit, so we'll go on with it but as a movie". THEN Nimoy decided to return after all, since it was considered a 1-shot. So they killed Xon in a transporter accident early in the story. Collins and Ilia stayed put, and so did Chapel's promotion to Doctor and Chekov's move to Weaponry.
There. A bit of Trek history from a true geek, right out of the books published after the films got started, but before TNG came along. :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks