What's new

Star Trek: Picard - Season One - CBS All Access - starring Patrick Stewart (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Okay, come on now...let's back up a second. We have a ton of hand wringing here over a character who appeared in one episode of a seven year series. Sure, it might be the easy way to create some emotion in Jean-Luc, but let's not give Rene (or Robert) more than they're due.

And yes, Jean-Luc should have taken more time to process their deaths. No argument. However, this all feeds into the Jean-Luc we knew for seven years. He says in Encounter at Farpoint that he's not a family man and is shown to not like children throughout the series-but he evolves somewhat over time. Family reunites him with his blood family and All Good Things... reminds him his command crew are his family, too.

At some point, though, the idea you won't have a "conventional" family hits you and you start thinking about the family name/family line. And then all of your hopes are pinned on one person (in this case, Rene). Family name and history is big for Jean-Luc, as we would see through the series. And when it hits you there is no one to continue the line, it's a gut punch. I watched Generations on Saturday night and came to the same realization; I will never have natural children and I only have a sister. The only people who can keep our family name going are two male cousins I haven't seen in easily a decade.

It does feed into the theme of Generations and the Nexus: going to a place where the missteps of your life can be fixed and replayed until you get the outcome you want. We saw that with Kirk and Antonia; we see that with Jean-Luc and Christmas. What else would be such a big pull for Jean-Luc that he might forget about Soran and the Enterprise? He has no massive "love that got away" (Vash and Janice Manheim don't count). He doesn't have a career regret (we covered that in Tapestry). So it's family and its history.

(psst...Geordi was also in a fire per Hero Worship a bit earlier than this fire, but that proves they do still happen.)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Sorry I must have missed it but why did you have to quit DSC?

With respect Tino, I quit because I found a character on the series outrageously annoying. I suffered through season one, but even with well written episodes she still bothered me so much that I had to quit watching.
I think it is great that people find Tilly sweet, and adorable. But I'm certainly not one of them.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I find her neither annoying nor sweet and adorable.

Shes pretty much a minor supporting character so it’s surprising to hear your hatred for her has caused you to stop watching this great Trek series.

Can’t you just ignore her and focus on the great aspects and characters of this series? Asking Respectfully of course. ;)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I find her neither annoying nor sweet and adorable.

Shes pretty much a minor supporting character so it’s surprising to hear your hatred for her has caused you to stop watching this great Trek series.

Can’t you just ignore her and focus on the great aspects and characters of this series? Asking Respectfully of course. ;)

I could I suppose. Maybe she will get killed off and my problem will be solved:D

I am going to keep my CBS AA sub until the new Trek series launches anyway so maybe I will reconsider watching Discovery between now, and then.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Sounds like the new series will be 10 episodes, and will be serialized.

“They are writing a 10-hour movie,” the actor says, referring to the writers’ room headed up by Discovery showrunner, Alex Kurtzman. Earlier this year, Kurtzman shared that the still-untitled Picard series will take place after the destruction of the Romulan Empire, an event that throws Picard’s life into turmoil. And that turmoil may take more than 10 episodes to resolve. “We’re hoping for more than one season,” Stewart volunteered.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...Erqd5o-f3JKzPw_nsyXumuFsirkaafvQC6riMcrGTJ5Ug

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I wonder if Picard will be battling Irumodic Syndrome in this, or is he not old enough yet? How far into the future was the “future” time period in “All Good Things...”?

Oh God, I hope they resolve that silliness. It didn't add anything to All Good Things.
But they will probably just ignore it. It isn't worthy of being referred to in any fashion.

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have not seen all good things in a long time. I seem to recall that Picard and Dr. crusher were married and divorced in parts of that episode. Wonder if we will see the good doctor

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I have not seen all good things in a long time. I seem to recall that Picard and Dr. crusher were married and divorced in parts of that episode. Wonder if we will see the good doctor

My opinion is that we will see the other six TNG cast members in one way or another. They were too important to Picard's life not to be included in some way, probably an appearance or two in various episodes. They will not be central to the story.

Jonathan Frakes, who directed last week's Discovery episode, said, when asked if he'd be involved, "I'm not allowed to tell you what my involvement is." Brent Spiner had signed up to play the vice president on TV's Supergirl, but bowed out before filming began, due to what he called "family obligations."

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm not assuming that anything that was seen in All Good Things has to come to pass. We're never told with 100% certainty that we're seeing an exact vision of what the future will be. I've always taken it that it was Q creating a future scenario and putting Picard through it, but that the events seen in the episode weren't just a flash-forward that needs to be taken as The Absolute Truth About What Happened After The Show Ended.

So while the disease Future Picard had in that episode made sense for that specific episode's narrative, I don't expect it to be something that he actually has to get.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm not assuming that anything that was seen in All Good Things has to come to pass. We're never told with 100% certainty that we're seeing an exact vision of what the future will be. I've always taken it that it was Q creating a future scenario and putting Picard through it, but that the events seen in the episode weren't just a flash-forward that needs to be taken as The Absolute Truth About What Happened After The Show Ended.

So while the disease Future Picard had in that episode made sense for that specific episode's narrative, I don't expect it to be something that he actually has to get.

This. I think it's even mentioned what Picard saw was a possible future in order to give the crew a chance to create a new future. And that has happened. As far as we know through the end of Voyager, Troi isn't dead, Worf didn't get estranged from Riker, Data isn't a professor and the Klingons didn't become "adversaries" again.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm not assuming that anything that was seen in All Good Things has to come to pass.

For one thing, Stewart said he will not have a beard as he did in AGT. He also said that he looks younger now than they made him look in AGT.

Speaking of the Inner Light, I was thinking about that one recently. My kids just turned 10. I thought, what if I woke up and found out that it was a dream of sorts, that I only lived it in my mind? That's devastating. Like, immensely, immensely devastating. How Picard could go back to work for next week's episode is beyond me. Anyone would be in therapy for years.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
We actually know it's not the future, because a retrofitted Enterprise-D is still in active service in that 2395, and the Enterprise-D was irreparably destroyed in Generations in 2371.

The Q Continuum's very act of putting Picard through that trial changed Picard, and because Picard made different decisions as a result, the timeline changed.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I agree that Q probably created a future that was a possibility, but not necessarily the actual one.

“The Inner Light” gave Picard a sense of what having a family was like. Not that that experience will mean anything in the discussion, just mentioning it.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking when the point was originally brought up. He lived all of that as memories, so Picard knows what having a family is like.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
BTW, I was thinking about this and I have a feeling the show will end up being simply titled "Picard."

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
A single limited run series would have been a dream come true - that they're leaving open the possibility to do three seasons is more than I could have hoped. I can't wait!

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks