What's new

Star Trek: Picard - Season One - CBS All Access - starring Patrick Stewart (2 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Of course they’re Star Trek.

I completely understand they’re not to everyone’s taste and that’s fine. Discovery, for instance, isn’t often to my taste.

But they’re still Star Trek.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Also, this week it was announced that Bruce Boxleitner of Babylon 5 fame would replace Brent Spiner as the Vice President on TV's Supergirl. Spiner cited "family obligations" for having to drop out. When someone tweeted that he would be in the new show, Spiner said he couldn't say anything until he was granted immunity.

Can't wait to see the make-up budget to make Spiner look 20-30 years younger. He was already starting to look too old for the part in the last couple of TNG films.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t think they have to do anything crazy with the makeup. All they need is one throwaway line from Data about how he has changed his appearance to age to allow himself to be more human. (Similar to how Data chose to go grey in the “future” sequences from the TNG finale “All Good Things”.)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Report out of NYCC says the Picard series is not envisioned as a limited series but something that could run several seasons.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
By the way, when I saw Wil Wheaton at the Baltimore Comic Convention in September, he said he was very excited hearing about it. He doubts he would be asked to appear. Regarding the TNG cast he said, "the opportunity to return to the best part of their lives - they would jump at the chance." So, if asked they will most likely appear.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I watched the first Episode and decided then and there It was awful

The actual first season is radically different from the first episode ("The Vulcan Hello"). This episode, and the second part, are bright, shiny optimistic stories compared to what happens later in the season.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
There is also this word on additional Trek projects, buried at the end of the Hollywood Reporter article:

The Picard series is just one in Kurtzman's Trek empire. It will join the flagship series Star Trek Discovery, as well as Lower Decks, the upcoming half-hour animated comedy from Mike McMahan (Rick and Morty), and the shortform entry Short Treks. Other projects in development include a second kids-focused animated series (that may live outside of CBS All Access), a Discovery spinoff starring Michelle Yeoh and the younger-skewing Starfleet Academy from Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage (The O.C.).

https://www-hollywoodreporter-com.c...&amp_js_v=0.1#referrer=https://www.google.com

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Some news on the new Picard show:

http://trekcore.com/blog/2019/01/pi...C6yzGu07SKQiMvXlcCD3ZvGYcsrtuPpasxtqIcFU0t-R4

It seems the destruction of Romulus in 2009's JJ Abrams film will feature prominently in the new series.

This is a good omen because we'll be getting something in the established 24th century, after everything we've already seen in the Prime Universe. There's almost nothing in live action canon about the post-Voyager years. This time period allows for a lot of guest shots from established characters and places while continuing to stretch forward (and not back).

It should also put the asinine argument about "Vulcan is gone" to rest from the Kelvin timeline. In the Prime Universe, Romulus is gone, not Vulcan. Everything else is still there (sans Prime Spock).

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
For all that I would love to see more Patrick Stewart, he is now another 30? years older? A few months ago I watched the TNG 30th Reunion in Vegas. It was entertaining, and of course a little bit revealing to see all those faces aged up compared to when I watch them on NetFlix.

So, if this going to be about Picard around TNG time, there will need to be a bunch of makeup work. It its Admiral Picard we shall see.

Unrelated Patrick Stewart note.

For the first time, I watch Smiley's People with the GF. It took about 3 or so days. In the last episode, I was watching the end when Karla is coming over the bridge and I said "Huh, that looks like Picard!", I was presently surprised to see that I had guessed right, a few minutes later ...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So, if this going to be about Picard around TNG time, there will need to be a bunch of makeup work.

I think they've commented that the show is taking place in roughly the amount of real-world years that have passed since we last saw the crew onscreen, so with Nemesis being nearly 20 years old, this show will be set that far after Nemesis.

They did something similar with the Twin Peaks revival, choosing to set the new series in the same amount of years that had passed since the show went off the air originally.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Is there a release date for this series?

Just "late 2019."

I've seen comments that the show could take place in an alternate timeline, given the legalities between CBS and Paramount. I don't know anything about that. I do know that the average viewer doesn't give a damn about that stuff. The success of this show will be driven by people who enjoyed The Next Generation enough to subscribe to CBS AA. Those people want a straight up continuation of the character they followed for seven years on TV, not some alternate history nonsense. The powers that be need to get this message quickly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks