What's new

Star Trek: Picard - Season One - CBS All Access - starring Patrick Stewart (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s rare that I want toys or official products from anything these days but my wife has a good track record of surprising me with one of them when I do. I have the Bluetooth communicator designed from the original prop that looks amazing and I almost never use it but damn it looks cool. And the black undershirt from the reboot franchise (I liked the subtlety of it, you can wear it out without people realizing you’re in official movie uniform gear). There’s a tribble hiding somewhere (hopefully still just one). And now this. I think those are the best gifts - the things you really want but serve no practical purpose and you can’t really justify getting it for yourself. It’s nice to get permission to be a big kid and play pretend for a few minutes every now and then :)

As long as we gotta wait til Thursday for a new show...

What Trek or TNG toys or props or whatever do you have or wish you had?

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
If I could afford it, and had the display space, I'd love to subscribe to the Eaglemoss Star Trek ship collection. I want them all! At the very least, I'd love to buy the Enterprise NX-01, 1701, 1701-A, 1701-D, 1701-E, JJ versions, Voyager, Defiant and DS9 models from Eaglemoss.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My recent collecting as focused on hard to come by things that are not mass produced. I’ve posted before that I managed to find the Ganine Chess pieces used during TOS that Charlie melted. That one was hard but finally got a set a few years ago. Found a seller on eBay who also was selling the pawns and knights. I picked up an extra couple of pawns as my initial set was missing one pawn. Perhaps harder is the coffee carafe used during TOS in scenes in Corbomite Maneuver for example. I found a carafe in great shape. But missing the lid. Still need to find the sugar and creamer containers in the set. My next efforts will include making replicas of the phaser and communicators.

About the Eaglemoss ships, I’ve watched those releases and until recently, I wasn’t sure I was interested. Of late, I started to recollect small die cast cars I had as a kid. So I am rethinking the Eaglemoss ships and maybe a few ships could be fun. :). I am reverting to my happy childhood.
0F179F5C-B55A-427E-9539-365272542251.jpeg

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It’s rare that I want toys or official products from anything these days but my wife has a good track record of surprising me with one of them when I do. I have the Bluetooth communicator designed from the original prop that looks amazing and I almost never use it but damn it looks cool. And the black undershirt from the reboot franchise (I liked the subtlety of it, you can wear it out without people realizing you’re in official movie uniform gear). There’s a tribble hiding somewhere (hopefully still just one). And now this. I think those are the best gifts - the things you really want but serve no practical purpose and you can’t really justify getting it for yourself. It’s nice to get permission to be a big kid and play pretend for a few minutes every now and then :)

As long as we gotta wait til Thursday for a new show...

What Trek or TNG toys or props or whatever do you have or wish you had?

There was prop replica of the Picard's flute from "The Inner Light" a while back I missed out on. I haven't checked E-Bay for it yet. I believe the real prop sold for $50K, so that was never an option.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not an expert on streaming but it looks like you can sign up for some of these streaming sites (such as CBS Access) through Amazon Prime (they call them Channels). I'm thinking that these can be accessed directly through your Prime app, rather than needing to download another app and subscribe separately to a different streaming service?

CBS Access seems to be $5.99/month through Prime, after a 7-day free trial.

I might be interested in something like this, but have little to no interest in needing to find a Roku or something similar that needs to be attached to my TV in order to access every individual streaming option offered separately by every network or studio.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Unbelievable!

I don't watch many of their videos, but they are very passionate about Star Trek so that always has my attention. Strange that Star Trek fans that obviously have much love, and admiration for the brand (never a bad thing) can see the same pilot episode for "Picard" and see something so entirely different from other what other Trekkies are viewing. I watched the entire 47 minute video mainly because I just couldn't believe the words coming out of their mouths. I was fascinated by the whole thing.

At around the 21 minute mark I thought the guy was going to cry.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Unbelievable!

I don't watch many of their videos, but they are very passionate about Star Trek so that always has my attention. Strange that Star Trek fans that obviously have much love, and admiration for the brand (never a bad thing) can see the same pilot episode for "Picard" and see something so entirely different from other what other Trekkies are viewing.

I won't ever admonish someone for their love of a thing. But come on...this is a TV show. I know it matters a lot to all of us, but cripes. it's not worth all that. (Shoot, I cry at the drop of a hat, too.)

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I’ve been revisiting (and in many cases watching for the first time) the extensive bonus features on the TNG Blu-rays. One of the most interesting features was a writers room discussion, and Ron Moore and Brannon Braga are among the participants (they wrote both the TNG finale and Generations). They described writing Generations as being a difficult and uncertain process where they were trying to figure it out the whole time over months (it was started before the last season began). They didn’t expect to be asked to write the finale, but when they got that call, they said it ended up only being a matter of days and flowing right out of them.

I like so much of what’s in Generations. I’m a big fan of both eras, but still, I kinda wish it had just been a TNG movie just to have given those characters more room to breathe. But even having to share screen time, I was glad that they decided to bring some closure to some open TNG plot lines. I love the Data stuff. And I completely agree that it was great that they used the TV Enterprise instead of an unexplained retrofit for a theatrical screen.

I've always liked Generations. To me, it's more reminiscent of The Motion Picture in that it tries to address big ideas (very different ideas, but big ideas nonetheless). Didn't care for them throwing in a "bad guy". But, I agree that Shatner was great, and the whole sequence with him and Picard was the best parts. Like The Motion Picture, I liked Generations more each time I watched it.

It was also nice to see the big model of the Ent-E used in the film after years of them using the smaller replacement model with the thicker surface details that, to me, looked really bad on the TV screen (and the production team said they used the smaller model because they thought the details were better suited for the TV screen - I don't know what they were looking at, but they were dead wrong).

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Unbelievable!

I don't watch many of their videos, but they are very passionate about Star Trek so that always has my attention. Strange that Star Trek fans that obviously have much love, and admiration for the brand (never a bad thing) can see the same pilot episode for "Picard" and see something so entirely different from other what other Trekkies are viewing. I watched the entire 47 minute video mainly because I just couldn't believe the words coming out of their mouths. I was fascinated by the whole thing.

If it says "RLM" on the label, just toss it in the trash where it belongs. The thumbnail on that video says it all. Not worth clicking.

They’ve always been cranky, attention-seeking drama queen shit-grognards with an arrogant, stopped-clock correctness about them. The paucity of their imaginations and inability to engage with film except in the very narrow-mindedest of terms has been clear for nearly a decade now.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm not an expert on streaming but it looks like you can sign up for some of these streaming sites (such as CBS Access) through Amazon Prime (they call them Channels). I'm thinking that these can be accessed directly through your Prime app, rather than needing to download another app and subscribe separately to a different streaming service?

CBS Access seems to be $5.99/month through Prime, after a 7-day free trial.

I might be interested in something like this, but have little to no interest in needing to find a Roku or something similar that needs to be attached to my TV in order to access every individual streaming option offered separately by every network or studio.

Yes, that’s exactly right - you can get CBS All Access as its own app, or subscribe to it within the Amazon Prime app. I think 5.99 is the “with commercials” plan and 9.99 is the “commercial free” plan.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I admit to owning and displaying on the mantle a Horga'hn. I looked for one for 25 years, found one and bought it. (Not a real prop and not expensive; I think it was $30.) It's full size, about 10-11 inches, and matches some of the other tiki stuff we have.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I admit to owning and displaying on the mantle a Horga'hn. I looked for one for 25 years, found one and bought it. (Not a real prop and not expensive; I think it was $30.) It's full size, about 10-11 inches, and matches some of the other tiki stuff we have.

Oddly enough, after 30ish years of being a Star Trek fan, all I have is a Comm badge.

No, my big goofy memorabilia is a full sized Tom Servo replica.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

That’s awesome. Those are my favorite kinds of memorabilia; the ones that you can mix in with the rest of your stuff without it screaming “prop” or “licensed merch” (not that there’s anything wrong with that).

I have tiny plastic replicas of the original TOS ship, the phaser and the shuttlecraft. I like randomly placing them around the house where they’re not noticeable, and I’ll forget they’re there, and then every once and a while I see the Enterprise as I’m doing some chore and it’ll make me smile for a second. Nerd alert and all that but I’m too old to care what anyone else thinks! *

*anyone but my wife, by her grace may I get away with such shenanigans and don’t I ever forget it! :D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That Kurlan Naiskos reminds me of the porcelain tea set Picard uses. I thought that’s another cool screen used real world product that would be cool to own. I mostly focus on TOS, but that’s a nice set.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
The "humor" driven by Data's personality chip lands with a major thud for me, much like the humor involving C3P0 in the Star Wars prequels.
Agreed, horrific is a pretty apt description of that part of the plot. Removing it would have hurt absolutely nothing.

And the film is in desperate need of a real final act. Everything about the final confrontation with Soran screams, "We ran out of money and time." There are episodes of TNG with more epic set pieces that this one has, a few gang planks thrown up in the desert somewhere. And killing off one of the most iconic characters in the franchise in such an underwhelming way was a travesty.

While James Kirk gets a shitty death, the character up until that point is written beautifully in his twilight years, and William Shatner is really terrific. Given the Kirk's personality, and given Shatner's ego, I could have easily seen a scenario where the passing of the torch between captains was done begrudgingly, with some resentment. But if there was any, it certainly doesn't show on screen. The opening sequence of the Enterprise-B allows Shatner to play those feelings of not being the guy sitting in the captain's chair anymore, but not in selfish or self-centered way. Instead, there's just the melancholy passage of time.

Are you aware that that finale was a rewrite? IIRC when they screened it just about every reaction was bad. They had some different death which was non-descript for Kirk, so they rewrote it.

But according to this, it was to have been entirely different, I think this must have been a really early concept, to work 2 Enterprises in:

The death of Captain James T. Kirk (William Shatner) in Star Trek: Generations remains one of the most notorious misfires in the entire Star Trek franchise, but that wasn’t always going to be the case.

At the Star Trek Las Vegas convention, Brannon Braga, one of the most significant creative voices in Star Trek history, reflected on his and Ronald D. Moore’s work on the series finale of Star Trek: The Next Generation, “All Good Things,” and the first movie to feature the show’s cast, Star Trek: Generations.

“It’s kind of a blur, it just worked,” Braga said (via Trek Movie). “We wrote ‘All Good Things,’ it was a pure piece of writing, it was beautifully made. Whereas Generations was a little more laborious and serving a lot of things and I think that shows.”

It shows nowhere more than in the unsatisfying death of Kirk, who was crushed under a bridge saving the inhabitants of the planet Veridian IV. Braga revealed that wasn’t his and Moore’s original plan for Kirk’s death, and the scenario they originally imagined sounds much more worthy of the character.

“I think Ron and I envisioned the two Enterprises kinda locked in battle and somehow they would meet, but they would get together and fight the bad guy, and Kirk would go down on his bridge, instead of a bridge falling on him,” Braga explained.

Kirk dying on his bridge, perhaps even going down with his bridge, sounds like a much more powerful ending for Kirk than what ultimately made it into Star Trek: Generations. Unfortunately, fans will have to live with the death Kirk got on screen.

https://comicbook.com/startrek/2017/08/13/star-trek-generations-kirk-death/

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Controversial opinions get more views, I guess.

I just so badly want to be the third guy in that conversations with them!
Just ask them simple questions, and fact checking them as they ramble off their opinions-
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Where do you see racism, or Xenophobia?"

"So Starfleet has made a bad call...hmmm that has never happened in any of the Star Trek shows or movies before"

"Picard doesn't like Data? Did You happen to see The Measure of a Man in which he puts his reputation on the line to keep him aboard the Enterprise by chance?"

"Did you not see the kindness, and warmth, and ultimate maturity of character in Picard? He almost acts as if he has lived two entire lifetimes...oh wait, he has. And it really shows in this one 45 minute episode"

"The Data reprimanding is a result of Data's unique child like innocence. OF course he will make a few mistakes along the way, and of Course Picard being the captain had to act as a father figure on Data's learning experiences. Picard also recognizes that Data is the most powerful member of the Enterprise crew, and the biggest asset!"

"The episode is The Savage Curtain, and it isn't corny"

Last edited:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
That's the thing about bringing back beloved characters after 20 or 30 years, you're gonna get a group of fans who rail against how those beloved characters are depicted in newer stuff because it doesn't fit in with the unchanging, amber-encased versions they've had locked away in their heads for decades.

Imagine if The Undiscovered Country came out today, and how fans would react on the Internet to the way Kirk was written. They'd be having massive cerebral shit-hemorrhages:

Of course, now that film is 30 years old and has settled into so many fans' minds over the years, especially newer fans post-1991, there simply isn't much outrage over it these days. This is why I wonder how Picard and Discovery will be perceived by future generations, when both shows are just seen as part of the greater franchise, rather than brand-new, breathlessly-anticipated TV series that had to live up to certain near-impossible expectations of those who had already been fans for decades.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks