What's new

Star Trek: Picard - Season One - CBS All Access - starring Patrick Stewart (2 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What’s most exciting to me about this is that they’re being so pro-active about moving forward instead of falling into that premium/streaming model of “we’ll make another season when we get around to it, could be next year, could be two or three years from now”. Some of that may be due to the reality that Stewart isn’t getting any younger, but whatever the reason, I’m glad that CBS All Access has some Trek momentum.

I had forgotten until just a moment ago that for last year‘s Discovery season, Id come back to earth from the high of a new episode by picking a TOS episode to watch immediately after based on whatever feeling the new episode left me with. I may do the same with Picard and TNG.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Apparently Kurtzman has said there are two more live-action series in development, in addition to Discovery, Picard and Section 31. Speculation is that they are the Starfleet Academy series that's been mentioned and a series about Pike's Enterprise.

StarTrek.com has a nice video about episodes of TNG to watch to get up to speed on Picard. Could offer insights to the story of the show:

https://intl.startrek.com/videos/watch-catch-up-on-these-episodes-before-star-trek-picard

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Apparently Kurtzman has said there are two more live-action series in development, in addition to Discovery, Picard and Section 31. Speculation is that they are the Starfleet Academy series that's been mentioned and a series about Pike's Enterprise.

StarTrek.com has a nice video about episodes of TNG to watch to get up to speed on Picard. Could offer insights to the story of the show:

https://intl.startrek.com/videos/watch-catch-up-on-these-episodes-before-star-trek-picard

I'm obviously in for any new Trek we get, but is there going to be an oversaturation point?

Assuming Discovery continues past season 3 (I don't see any reason why it wouldn't), two seasons for sure of Picard, the two animated shows, the Section 31 show, Short Treks and now two more? That's A LOT of new content.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm obviously in for any new Trek we get, but is there going to be an oversaturation point?

Assuming Discovery continues past season 3 (I don't see any reason why it wouldn't), two seasons for sure of Picard, the two animated shows, the Section 31 show, Short Treks and now two more? That's A LOT of new content.

Well, yes, but keep in mind that these shows only have 10-12 episodes per season, as opposed to the whopping 26 episodes per season in days of old. Also, CBS AA wants to keep people paying for their service, not just having them buy for a month, binge and cancel. Having a steady roster of shows will do that.

Also, in the news yesterday that Picard is officially on for a second season was the unofficial word that season 3 will happen as well.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Sure, it's less than half the old TV series order for a season. There is no series anywhere (outside of "reality," maybe) that has this many iterations slated for debut at the same time, though. They're not all targeting the same demographic obviously, but we're getting close to a full "old" season this year with Picard and Discovery. When you start adding Section 31 and those other shows, we may be looking at a time when there is a new Trek episode of some kind every single week of the year.

A steady roster of shows has to include other stuff and not just Trek, too.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeah, the Section 31 show is the one starring Michelle Yeoh (as Mirror Georgiou). Which is gonna be interesting indeed as far as setup goes, considering she
just ended up in the 33rd Century at the end of DSC season two.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was looking at some images from Picard and I couldn’t help but notice that the Borg implant on 7 of 9’s eyebrow has gotten a patina in the last 20 years. It’s also been modified a bit. Just kidding around as I’m sure the original implant eye piece either didn’t exist anymore, or more likely I’m sure Jeri must have one or two as souvenirs. So the new production people probably wanted to create an all new version.

I nicked this imaged from Trekyards.
EEB431B0-FC89-4C51-8072-F79D30C06FE4.jpeg

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was looking at some images from Picard and I couldn’t help but notice that the Borg implant on 7 of 9’s eyebrow has gotten a patina in the last 20 years. It’s also been modified a bit. Just kidding around as I’m sure the original implant eye piece either didn’t exist anymore, or more likely I’m sure Jeri must have one or two as souvenirs. So the new production people probably wanted to create an all new version.

I nicked this imaged from Trekyards.
View attachment 67185

I earn my No-Prize by figuring she's had it replaced at some point in the last 20 years with different tech.

I mean, her Borg implants were already breaking down after 3 years in Voyager. So odds are that ocular implant has needed replacing in 20.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
So I was curious what info might be up there already, on IMDB

Series Directed by
Hanelle M. Culpepper ... (3 episodes, 2020)
Jonathan Frakes ... (2 episodes, 2020)
Akiva Goldsman ... (2 episodes, 2020)
Maja Vrvilo ... (2 episodes, 2020)
Douglas Aarniokoski ... (1 episode, 2020)

actors (possible not accurate?) (not inclusive of all)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
So, what is wrong with that?

It's called over saturation. Spreading the franchise and the creatives too thinly. Diluting the brand.

Look what happened when they tried to do TNG movies every few years and ran DS9 and Voyager concurrently...along with getting Enterprise off the ground. Burn out on the creative side leading to reduced quality and audience apathy.

Yes, these are shorter seasons than anything done with the other shows.

And, for the record, I didn't say it was bad a thing. I'd just prefer to be cautious when the reinvention of the franchise is still getting off the ground.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It's called over saturation. Spreading the franchise and the creatives too thinly. Diluting the brand.

Look what happened when they tried to do TNG movies every few years and ran DS9 and Voyager concurrently...along with getting Enterprise off the ground. Burn out on the creative side leading to reduced quality and audience apathy.

I'd argue that the quality of the material is what had an effect on the audience. DS9 was very strong from its third through seventh seasons, but the TNG films only produced one movie that fans could all get behind and Voyager suffered from network interference and generally lazy writing.

Having a lot of product does not necessarily lead to audience exhaustion. Look at Marvel - they have been turning out great films, one after another, and each one grosses a lot of money. There has yet to be a Marvel film that has disappointed at the box office. Most fans seem to like what they've done with the franchise.

Yes, Star Wars had one stumble (Solo) at the box office, but it has otherwise been performing very well, despite a lot of content. (Most fans can't get enough of The Mandalorian, and Rise of Skywalker just crossed $1 billion at the box office.)

There is no reason Star Trek couldn't be the same way. Keep the quality high, and audiences will come.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I'd argue that the quality of the material is what had an effect on the audience. DS9 was very strong from its third through seventh seasons, but the TNG films only produced one movie that fans could all get behind and Voyager suffered from network interference and generally lazy writing.

Having a lot of product does not necessarily lead to audience exhaustion. Look at Marvel - they have been turning out great films, one after another, and each one grosses a lot of money. There has yet to be a Marvel film that has disappointed at the box office. Most fans seem to like what they've done with the franchise.

Yes, Star Wars had one stumble (Solo) at the box office, but it has otherwise been performing very well, despite a lot of content. (Most fans can't get enough of The Mandalorian, and Rise of Skywalker just crossed $1 billion at the box office.)

There is no reason Star Trek couldn't be the same way. Keep the quality high, and audiences will come.

Quality, sure. That has a huge hand in all this, going back to the Berman decades. All it will take for this new era of TV Trek to flounder is another Discovery Season 1, however, and then the fair weather fans CBS All Access so desperately wants will abandon it all. And the studio will say no one wants Trek and the cycle begins again.

All that being said, one week to Picard. :dance:

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck

Sorry, but I don't accept an example of that what they did in the past, with movies, 2 franchises active with 20+ episodes/season as a reason to be worried about multiple shows with half the episodes. Then throw in an animated kids show or 2. I don't see it. You also see people here with the wealth of streaming content available, that are probably not going to bother with the animated kids stuff.

The quantity is nowhere near the same. Maybe you would have a point if there had been ST on for a decade+ with 3 series or more.

We shall find out.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
That's fine. I never asked you to accept it. I used a logical example and you dismissed it. No skin off my nose.

You are right: we shall see.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck

You omitted the series. That is a bunch of stuff:

ABC:
Agents of Shield
Agent Carter
Inhumans

Netflix:
DareDevil
Jessica Jones
Luke Cage
Iron Fist
The Defenders
The Punisher

Young Adult:
Runaways (Hulu)
Cloak and Dagger (Freeform)

Planned (Disney+ unless otherwise specified)

Helstrom (Hulu)
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
WandaVision
Loki
What If?
Hawkeye
Ms Marvel
MoonKnight
She Hulk

That does look like saturation. OTOH, comics have been traditionally produced and consumed as different flavors for different people, so its not a direct parallel for the most part...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks