What's new

Star Trek: Picard - Season One - CBS All Access - starring Patrick Stewart (2 Viewers)

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I pretty much despised every frame of Nemesis. Anything they can do to undo that movie, I will support. I hated that Data died. It seemed so pointless. Like they were saying "We're ending the TNG films, so let's kill off a beloved character." I really hate that sort of thing.

Agreed, it was just as pointless and stupid as Tripp's death in the Enterprise finale.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Without the addition of past characters this series would look much less attractive to me. In fact, the only reason I even got excited by the trailer was the presence of Data. And Jeri Ryan who is clearly a long way from 'Seven of Nine'.

Nice contradiction there.

I am not interested in seeing past characters <> I was excited by seeing past characters

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
This is just the beginning. Going forward, most if not all quality shows will be on for-pay streaming services. This is the death of cable, and the beginning of something else.

This is what a lot of people have wanted for a while: an a la carte system where you could get what you want and not pay for the rest. That's essentially playing itself out now. You want new Trek? You need CBS All Access and you get CBS programs and their library. You want Disney and Fox stuff? Disney+ is coming. Warner and Universal are doing the same. I'm happy with this model, to be honest. I barely watched even half the channels I had with cable.

Do I miss a cable channel? Sure, but not enough to actually get cable again. The things I have (Netflix, Hulu, CBS All Access, Disney+) are exactly the shows I want. Everything else? Meh.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We had a big controversy here in Canada about having to buy packages of channels which contain all kinds of channels that you don’t want or watch. They passed legislation that made the companies allow you to build your own “package” of just the ones you wanted.

My wife and I went through the listings and decided the ones we wanted. I called the cable company. It worked out that the ones I wanted
individually would cost much more than say “package #3”, which had all my choices plus a load of other crap we would not watch on a bet.

My cable remotes are set up so the skip all of these and only show “favourites”. I’m beginning to think I’d try to cut the cord, but our internet choices are far fewer here.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
This is just the beginning. Going forward, most if not all quality shows will be on for-pay streaming services. This is the death of cable, and the beginning of something else.

Hell, I've been considering going back to cable, since now the total cost of all the different streaming services is getting to be higher than cable, the very reason I left it in the first place.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link Phillip. You can see there is still that camaraderie between Stewart and Spiner. The new cast seemed like a group of young kids coming in and looking up to Stewart.

I’ll have to watch the trailer again as I wasn’t sure I saw Hugh in there.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm happy with this model, to be honest. I barely watched even half the channels I had with cable.

Do I miss a cable channel? Sure, but not enough to actually get cable again. The things I have (Netflix, Hulu, CBS All Access, Disney+) are exactly the shows I want. Everything else? Meh.

I have clung to cable for years.

Not for any justifiable reason, as it turns out.

But mostly because when I was a kid, we didn't have cable, and the roof antenna was so lousy that my mom ended up pulling it off the roof and giving up entirely.

So when I grew up and moved out and got my own place, getting cable made me feel like I finally "made it." And I've clung to it ever since.

But I just don't watch linear TV anymore, much as I wish that there were shows on that catered to my interest. In the past year, the only show that I watched on broadcast was "The Orville," and that's moving to streaming. I've stopped channel surfing; in the era of streaming (not to mention my physical media collection), flipping through channels looking for something "good enough" no longer makes sense to me.

My wife had expressed interest in dropping cable a year ago, and I shot it down then. But I think I need to reconsider that. I think my cable company now charges us over $100 a month just for the cable portion of the bill. We do not subscribe to any premium channels through cable. I no longer watch any programming that's on broadcast or cable that isn't also available on a streaming app. I don't think my wife does either.

I could invest that $100 a month spent on cable with better streaming options and almost certainly break even, if not coming out ahead.

I'm sitting here typing this now and I'm struggling to name even one program that I actually watch and would actually lose access to if I got rid of cable. And I can't name one.

I just don't really see the value anymore in paying for channels I don't watch, which air content on a schedule other than my own, when all of the same content is easily available through streaming at a time of my choosing.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Here's a question: Wasn't there a supposedly canon story, set before Star Trek (2009), with the Next Generation crew? Countdown? And wasn't Data working with Picard? Wouldn't that mean that Data was reassembled prior to the events of ST: Picard? Alex Kurtzman co-wrote the plot of the story. I guess we are to assume they're throwing that away? I do recall them saying at the time that it was official and happened as part of Star Trek canon.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Here's a question: Wasn't there a supposedly canon story, set before Star Trek (2009), with the Next Generation crew? Countdown? And wasn't Data working with Picard? Wouldn't that mean that Data was reassembled prior to the events of ST: Picard? Alex Kurtzman co-wrote the plot of the story. I guess we are to assume they're throwing that away? I do recall them saying at the time that it was official and happened as part of Star Trek canon.

Yes to all of that. However, we don't know if the android in the trailer is Data or B4 or a hologram or a new Soong-type android. All we really know is it's Brent Spiner.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
All of what Sam describes happened in the “Countdown” comic.

Here’s the thing. That was a small portion of a promotional tie in released ten years ago that’s all but forgotten and never been portrayed onscreen.

If Kurtzman and Co have a better story to tell today that requires throwing out an out of print comic book that relatively few people have read, I’m okay with that.

Heck, Lucasfilm threw out decades of print canon when they decided to start making new Star Wars films. The story of what happens to Luke, Leia and Han after Return of the Jedi had been told but the studio didn’t want to merely adapt some novels written decades ago; they wanted to tell a fresh story. I’m ok if that’s the case here.

I hate when shows retcon things we actually saw portrayed onscreen but I don’t mind if they toss a tie-in comic short story in favor of telling a different, better story.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Trekcore has a blurb on their FB page; the site is having issues now.

Per Spiner, the speaking role in the trailer is "(some version of) Data" and the body we see in pieces is B4.

So I'm still holding onto the fact Data is gone and what we see is a hologram or some such version. I do think ST:P will adhere to established continuity, including Romulus being destroyed, Spock disappearing, etc. We won't know for sure until the show premieres, but I'll stick with that continuity being respected.

There is a Short Trek prologue to ST:P coming, so we may know before the series proper.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think everything we saw of the 24th century in Star Trek ‘09 will remain canon, but that they may toss Countdown if it interferes with their plans. Which is fine by me.

I enjoyed reading Countdown but it’s also very fan service-y, and if it gets wiped on the way to something better, I’m cool.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve rewatched the trailer a few times and I’m loving Patrick Stewart in it. He sounds like Picard - the line readings are right. He’s not sounding like Charles Xavier or Stewart.

There are many times over the past (almost) 20 years where I’ve missed Picard and his wisdom and quiet dignity and confidence. I love that they seem to be integrating that same feeling into the show. It would seem the future missed Picard too.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Looks like Trekmovie has collected and posted all the interviews at ComicCon:

https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/23/star-trek-picard-cast-reveal-more-show-and-character-details/
So this article basically confirms that we saw Romulans, not Vulcans, in that second trailer, and that they’ve basically ditched the old Berman-era forehead prosthetics developed for TNG by Michael Westmore for the “smooth-headed” look of the 2009 J.J. Abrams film (which was when we last saw Nero and other 24th Century Romulans depicted onscreen).

Which again simply reinforces the fact that Star Trek’s alien makeups are artistic creations above all else and foremost, and that in-universe physiology takes a back seat to serving whatever the particular story happens to be that the producers want to tell in a given decade or era (i.e., Discovery’s producers going with Neville Page’s “new” Klingon-appearance, etc.)

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Each producer show runner wants to put their stamp on the franchise. I haven’t studied the new trailers that closely so I wasn’t aware that the Romulans are there. Having the make-up without the forehead ridge is paying respects to the TOS Romulans.

And I agree with Josh, as Spock said, the Romulans are an offshoot of the Vulcans.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks