What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
One could fairly say that's not the way to treat a loyal fan base.

Unfortunately in the end, Star Trek Discovery success (or failure) may very well be determined by how much the hardcore fanbase is willing to "hold their noses". (Both in the writing and the viewing venue).

What we don't know, is what metric is CBS using to define "success" for all access.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Ben, that's a great piece on Balance of Terror. I was going to try to read the piece you put together some time ago, but I guess you made it into a video? I started to read it, but got distracted, so I never got to finish it. I like how you were able to make the connections to Kennedy and Johnson and McNamara. The Vietnam connection I didn't see before. Two episodes I need to revisit now. :)

Thanks for your kind words. I actually did the video version first, with tech help from my college-age son (also a Trek fan), and then later did the article version.

Anyway, back to Discovery, here are some positive spoiler-free mini reviews of Discovery....

http://nerdist.com/star-trek-discovery-first-reactions-positive/

I signed up yesterday for the darn $10 a month service to watch it. Does it go live at 9 pm EST?

Once we watch it I assume we should use spoiler cloaking devices for any thoughts here?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
If that were so, it could be rated TV-14.

I don’t disagree. Here’s the quote I was referring to from them:

"I’m not saying we’re not doing some violent things or doing a tiny bit of language." showrunner Aaron Harberts said. "But what’s important to the creative team is the legacy of the show — which is passed down from mother to daughter, from father to son, from brother to brother. We want to make sure we’re not creating a show that fans can’t share with their families. You have to honor what the franchise is. I would say we’re not going much beyond hard PG-13.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ben, I am seeing some conflicting premiere times for Discovery. At first I saw a report that said it would premiere on CBS at 8:30pm sunday. Then looking at the TV guide app, it said 8:00pm on CBS.

On Trekmovie, I saw some discussion about the "time Slot". One reports that the series would air on CBS All Access at 11:30pm Sunday so it can air at 8:30pm Pacific time. Anthony Pascale, the site's founder chimed in that on the west coast, the show airs or goes live at 5:00pm, 8:00pm east cost time. And the Trek live show would go live after 7:00pm west coast time, I think 7:30pm.

So armed with that, I think the series will air on CBS at 8:00pm west coast time. And corresponding East coast time would be 8:00pm as well. However I don't follow football, so I am not sure how that plays into it. I think I'll just tune-in about 8:00pm via All Access. And I don't care if Trek live is live and hope it's recorded and I can just watch it on demand when I'm ready. I did see the Trek live show icon on the CBS All Access app, and it had no shows in the icon, (folder?) so it seems to follow these shows are going to be made available to watch on-demand.

Alan, about screwing the fans who supported the franchise all these decades. Well, it is what it is. Moonves wants to change the game. I can't find the article, I'll link it if I do, where a CBS competitor said this was a really smart move to go this route. There was a good argument and I don't want to misquote without reading it again. We don't have to like it, but this is where we are. I'll support Star Trek up to a point like anyone else. So I'm going to give this a try.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Darin, that makes sense about Trek live.

Well, I haven't found the article yet, except an LA Times are tile that cover the topic of why CBS went with streaming with Star Trek. http://www.latimes.com/business/hol...rek-cbs-streaming-service-20170923-story.html

But I did see a much clearer article on Trekmovie for when the series goes live on All Access and explains my confusion over the 8:30 time slot, it's an estimate based on when the football game ends.

USA: Discovery premieres Sunday, Sept. 24 on CBS All Access
In the United States Star Trek: Discovery is an exclusive original show for the CBS All Access streaming service and premieres Sunday, September 24th.

• The first episode (Part 1 of the two-hour premiere) will be available on CBS All Access at 8:30PM ET / 5:30PM PT.
  • The second episode (Part 2) will be available exclusively on CBS All Access at 9:30PM ET / 6:30PM PT.
Subsequent episodes will be available at 8:30PM ET / 5:30PM PT starting Sunday, October 1st.

CBS broadcast of Part 1 of premiere: In order to promote Star Trek: Discovery the first episode of the show (Part 1 of the 2-hour premiere) will be broadcast on the CBS Television Network on the same night as it is released on CBS All Access. To watch, tune in Sunday, September 24 at 8:30-9:30 PM, ET/PT (time approximate following NFL Football and 60 Minutes). To see part 2 of the pilot or any other episodes, you will have to subscribe to CBS All Access.

Canada: Discovery premieres Sunday, Sept. 24 on Space
The two-part pilot of Star Trek: Discovery premieres on the Space Channel on Sunday, September 24 at 8:30 PM ET. Subsequent episodes will air on Space on Sunday nights at 8:30PM ET starting October 1st.

Every episode will also be available to Space subscribers on the newly launched Space GO app, in addition to being available on Space.ca and participating On Demand channels. Star Trek: Discovery will also stream exclusively in Canada on the CraveTV streaming service starting Monday, September 25 at 10 p.m. ET.

CTV broadcast showing of Part 1 of premiere: To promote interest in Discovery, Part 1 of the premiere of Star Trek: Discovery will be broadcast on CTV at 8:30PM ET. To see the part 2 and all subsequent episodes you must subscribe to a cable or satellite package with Space Channel or the CraveTV streaming service.

Discovery will also be shown the Bell Media owned Z channel in French, starting on Sunday, September 24 at 9:00PM. With new episodes airing weekly Sundays at 9:00PM.

Outside of USA & Canada: Discovery premieres Monday, Sept. 25 on Netflix
If you live outside of the USA and Canada watching Star Trek: Discovery is really straightforward. Netflix will launch Star Trek: Discovery on Monday, September 25, starting with the first 2 episodes (the same two hour premiere that was shown in the US and Canada on Sunday). Subsequent episodes will be released weekly on Mondays. According to Netflix, each episode will be available on Netflix within 24 hours of being being released in the US.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Wow, that's a cold calculated move on CBS's part. I didn't know they were only showing the first part on broadcast television. I wonder if it will bring the expected subscribers to All Access? Or create ill will from the viewers who feel cheated being left in the dark?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I wonder how many North American folks who said they were not going to subscribe, will cave and subscribe after seeing part 1 for free?

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
For the folks who aren't into watercooler chatter and are willing to "hold their noses", I wouldn't be surprised if some end up subscribing when all the current season's episodes are all available. Basically subscribe for a month just to see the ST Discovery episodes, and unsubscribe when the month is up.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(I don't think this will happen, though I'll mention it anyways).

At this point I would be more inclined to read "novelizations" of the ST Discovery episodes, than watching the actual real episodes.

I did this for the first two rebooted Star Trek movies, where I thought they were better "reads" than watching them as live-action movies.

(IIRC, the TOS and TAS episodes all have novelizations written for them).

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I decided quite awhile ago that I would subscribe to CBS All Access, mostly for the new STAR TREK show, but I actually have another couple of reasons.

We don't watch a lot of broadcast TV anymore, but what we do watch tends to be on CBS. And it seems that CBS has been determined to take every show we watch and put it on in the 10PM to 11PM slot here in the east.

We used to watch THE GOOD WIFE on Sundays at 9 or whenever football would allow us to watch it. Typically it would start around 9:35 and run til 10:35. It was preceded in its last year or so by MADAM SECRETARY. Last year they shunted MADAM SECRETARY to the 9 PM slot (9:35 in football season), and this year they've shoved it even farther back to 10 or 10:35. That's way too late for us. We're retirees who have to get up around dawn to walk the dog, so staying up late isn't much of an option.

Mondays. We started watching SCORPION in its first season and then they moved that show to 10 PM and we missed just about all of last year. Not the greatest show, but sometimes mildly entertaining.

Tuesdays. A long time ago we enjoyed PERSON OF INTEREST in its early years. Then they shoved that to 10 PM and we missed all of the last number of seasons. Is it even still on?

Wednesdays. We got hooked on CRIMINAL MINDS after STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE completed its run. And now this year, they've shoved THAT back to 10 PM.

So, it would be nice to be able to watch some of these shows on our schedule rather than CBS broadcast's schedule.

Now add in another problem. We live exactly halfway between Orlando's TV signals and Tampa's TV signals. As a result, none of them come in reliably on an antenna. We have a sort of half-assed connection to cable which gives us all of the networks in HD except CBS. Don't ask why.

So today I picked up a Roku streaming stick and hooked it up, signed up for the non-commercial version of CBS All Access which now gives me a live broadcast option of the CBS channel in Tampa. It looks like its something approaching HD most of the time, but it sometimes gets rather soft - still better than the SD version I have been putting up with. Actually, the delayed broadcast stuff looks better, so that when we watch these shows the next day, they should look pretty good.

I had no idea that the second "half" of tonight's STAR TREK: DISCOVERY would immediately follow on CBSAA and that broadcast people will only see that first half. That's actually pretty crappy.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Person of Interest ended two seasons ago after a five year run. I'm assuming you don't have Netflix, but all five seasons are available there.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wonder how many North American folks who said they were not going to subscribe, will cave and subscribe after seeing part 1 for free?

I don't know if I ever explicitly said I wasn't going to subscribe, just that I really resented having to. But that's probably close enough to count for this.

I'm going away for three weeks in October, so my plan is this - subscribe after midnight tonight so I can watch this week's and next week's on the free trial. Cancel. Then actually subscribe for real when I get back from vacation. Otherwise I'd be paying for almost a month I wasn't using at all.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I decided quite awhile ago that I would subscribe to CBS All Access, mostly for the new STAR TREK show, but I actually have another couple of reasons.

We don't watch a lot of broadcast TV anymore, but what we do watch tends to be on CBS. And it seems that CBS has been determined to take every show we watch and put it on in the 10PM to 11PM slot here in the east.

We used to watch THE GOOD WIFE on Sundays at 9 or whenever football would allow us to watch it. Typically it would start around 9:35 and run til 10:35. It was preceded in its last year or so by MADAM SECRETARY. Last year they shunted MADAM SECRETARY to the 9 PM slot (9:35 in football season), and this year they've shoved it even farther back to 10 or 10:35. That's way too late for us. We're retirees who have to get up around dawn to walk the dog, so staying up late isn't much of an option.

Mondays. We started watching SCORPION in its first season and then they moved that show to 10 PM and we missed just about all of last year. Not the greatest show, but sometimes mildly entertaining.

Tuesdays. A long time ago we enjoyed PERSON OF INTEREST in its early years. Then they shoved that to 10 PM and we missed all of the last number of seasons. Is it even still on?

Wednesdays. We got hooked on CRIMINAL MINDS after STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE completed its run. And now this year, they've shoved THAT back to 10 PM.

So, it would be nice to be able to watch some of these shows on our schedule rather than CBS broadcast's schedule.

Now add in another problem. We live exactly halfway between Orlando's TV signals and Tampa's TV signals. As a result, none of them come in reliably on an antenna. We have a sort of half-assed connection to cable which gives us all of the networks in HD except CBS. Don't ask why.

So today I picked up a Roku streaming stick and hooked it up, signed up for the non-commercial version of CBS All Access which now gives me a live broadcast option of the CBS channel in Tampa. It looks like its something approaching HD most of the time, but it sometimes gets rather soft - still better than the SD version I have been putting up with. Actually, the delayed broadcast stuff looks better, so that when we watch these shows the next day, they should look pretty good.

I had no idea that the second "half" of tonight's STAR TREK: DISCOVERY would immediately follow on CBSAA and that broadcast people will only see that first half. That's actually pretty crappy.

Wow! You have got to invest in a PVR! I don't think I have watched TV as it was broadcast since VCRs were invented in the 80s.
Now with PVRs, we record everything. Tonight we will watch the new Star Trek starting at 9:00. This allows us to start watching 1/2 hour after the show begins and fast forward through the commercials.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I would have been surprised if CBS had shown parts 1 and 2 on broadcast. So this wasn't unexpected to me that only part 1 is being shown for free. I just didn't know it's a 2 hour premiere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks