What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Mincing words again Josh? :)

I really think the situation is the opposite. The show runners appear to really want to get this right. As far as the time slot, isn't that meaningless in this day and age? It's only for the pilot episode. The episodes are on demand viewing I'm thinking, I've never paid for any TV service, but as this is streaming, I figure I can watch at 4:00 in the morning and see what episode I want as long as I'm within the window of opportunity.

My guess on the season break, to keep the revenue coming in if you forget to end the service and re-up when the second half premieres. Or if you're hooked, you watch the other offerings from CBS. They appear to be fully committed to the full season run, so I doubt the second half is waiting to be produced just to check if the ratings demand it.

But we'll see I guess.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking they might use the hiatus to air one or more of the first 8 eps on CBS -- perhaps even the entire 2 hour pilot -- as additional promo for All-Access during December which is a non-sweeps month.

The hiatus will also allow Netflix to immediately stream the first 8 episodes for the international markets. This is big since Netflix has provided quite a bit of upfront money for the show and had initially expected 13 episodes to be available for streaming as early as May 2017.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I don't follow football and assumed there are no such kinds of events on Sunday. But you guys make a valid point scheduling the pilot event would be critical. I assumed the fan base will know but non fans need to see the promo. I wonder if these scheduling people know what the other networks are doing in terms of premiere dates so they set this up to avoid anything conflicting.

Then I wondered if there was a tie-in to history. Star Trek TOS premiered September 8th, 1966, TNG premiered September 28th, 1987, Enterprise was September 26th, 2001. Interestingly, Star Trek TAS premiered on September 8th too, 1973.

Never the less, I stand corrected.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Re: the premiere date. The NFL is the biggest draw on television, either on NBC, Fox or CBS. This is a smart scheduling move; the commentators pimp the premiere to their football audience all day long and the show starts immediately after the last game and post game are over. My guess is the first act will include a good number of explosions and be action packed, very light on character. That's the way the show will keep the audience entertained and tuned in.

The second hour on CBS All Access I have a problem with, though...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The problem is, CBS can plug it all day during their football games, but the NBC Sunday Night football game will be on, and it'll crush it. ESPN has Sunday night baseball too. And between AMC, HBO, Showtime, etc, at least one of those networks will probably have a major show on, possibly premiering. For the vast majority of TV watchers, catching a single episode of a new show they'd then have to pay to see the rest of probably won't be a priority.

I'm stunning that a 15 episode show is taking a 2-3 month break in the middle of airing. That's insanity.

I think this would have better off debuting in early January or even late May as originally planned - less competition at those times of year.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Maybe this is just me being daft, but I just assumed the hiatus was so they don't get behind on the production schedules and potentially miss an "air-date" (or "drop" date, as this is streaming).

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
000259034hr.jpg

Star Trek: Discovery first look at Jason Isaacs as Captain Lorca

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Maybe this is just me being daft, but I just assumed the hiatus was so they don't get behind on the production schedules and potentially miss an "air-date" (or "drop" date, as this is streaming).

It could be, although it seems strange that they'd need it given how far out they already are. As a viewer, I hate that kind of interruption. And considering that this show is only available on CBS All Access, which charges a monthly fee, taking a break in the middle of the season seems a great way to artificially extend people's subscriptions and suck more money out of our wallets. I'm sure there's a way to cancel for a month, but just think of what a pain that would be... and I have a feeling the hiatus won't line up perfectly with the renew subscription date so that they'll get some extra time out of people. I'd love to be wrong, but at best this is terrible planning, at worst it's a way to grab a few extra bucks out of fans.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It sounds like it would be cheaper to cross the border once a week and see the show for free in Canada!

If I promise not to bring any westerns with me, can I come and crash at your place then? :)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The show runners appear to really want to get this right.
I hope they get it right. I'm pulling for this show. But I just don't get it. Someone enlighten me. Ten years before Kirk in the Prime timeline the NCC-1701 is out there, being commanded by Pike with Spock as his first officer. I'm supposed to believe the NCC-1701 from TOS is flying around out there concurrent with this new ship, which looks decades more advanced, to say nothing of the uniforms that reek of the Kelvin Timeline?

It doesn't look like they want to get it right to me. Especially since, as far as I know, the Okudas were not invited to work on the show. If true, that tells me all I need to know about them wanting to "get it right."

They don't.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wonder if the three month hiatus is just an excuse to make the show disappear. Like they're expecting low ratings, have only approved the eight pre-break episodes, and won't even decide whether to do any more until then. Then, when the ratings suck, they can just go on their scheduled hiatus and simply never return.

Or is that too jaded and cynical even for me?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
If they want me to subscribe to CBS All-Access, then they should hire the cast and crew of STC, pay them, and put the show on All-Access. I'd gladly pay a monthly fee to see more episodes of STC. The writing is consistently superb, and the acting gets better with each episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks