New Star Trek Series in 2017?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by David S. Peterson, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

If I was forced to choose between my favorite Trek, it would be TNG(narrowly edging out TOS). It to me was the absolute perfect Star Trek series. Why couldn't 'Discovery' have taken place 20 years after it? The actors from that series are age appropriate so they could easily be written into a "special guest appearance" episode. They could have even have incorporated some of the smaller bit players in to larger roles(example: ensign Sonja Gomez now Chief of engineering on a star ship).

But I don't want to dream about that, the damage is already done.

Joseph Bolus and Josh Steinberg like this.
  2. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    People have pointed this out, but one of the things that made DS9 special was that we took on two entirely new races really, in the Bajoran, Cardassian, and all the species in the wormhole, and they made it pretty unique. Yes, there were still Klingons mixed in here, but they were add on type characters, and the thrust was exploring these other species in depth.

Like I said, if this turns into "Klingon War" stuff, then my boredom factor will be really high

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Wow, that's an incredible idea. So obvious and yet...right there.

At its core, for many of us, you don't want Star Trek without an Enterprise. I'd love to see what the next crew and the next ship was like.

Any idea that took place in the future of Trek was more interesting to me than every idea set in its past.

(And the reason the Kelvin movies work for me is precisely because they're in an alternate universe where things will no longer unfold in the same way, so it deals with the same potential problem in a different way.)

Bryan^H likes this.
  4. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

While this would have made for an almost perfect scenario for a new series, don’t discount the fact that TNG regulars -- or even DS9 or Voyager regulars -- could still guest star on the new series via either a "temporal rift" and/or "mirror universe" ep. This *is* a science fiction series after all ...

Live Long and Prosper!

Bryan^H likes this.
  5. Josh Steinberg

Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I think they had said that this was going to be an anthology series so season two could be another crew in another time. I had faint hopes that if this was successful, we could see some post-TNG stuff with old cast members popping up here or there.

I saw an Enterprise panel at a convention a couple years ago and they were great together, so funny. Now that I feel like I know them, I'd love to see them come back in some form.

6. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Josh, I wanted to address your earlier post. And please do not take this as a negative jab at you. :). Your posts are always well written and thought out to make the points being made. I wish I can do that, it takes more effort for me, it's not as natural coming out of me.

With that said, after reading your earlier post, and from reading other Discovery or Star Trek posts, a thought keeps popping in my head and I've been wanting to say this for some time: Don't mince words Josh, tell us what you really think. :)

I still think this new series needs to be made per how the producers want to go. Nicholas Meyer has said art cannot be made by committee and I agree with that. As you heard him say, he's not going to let the fans or others drive this project, or words to that effect. I can be very wrong and I'm thinking of something else like the Spock situation in Wrath of Khan. Hopefully it will not be like what you wrote about the Alien movies. It won't be something we've seen before and you can guess the outcomes.

To which, this series may not apparently focus on a Captain. But how do we know that? And how is that necessarily a bad thing. I don't know what they have in mind, we don't know if this First Officer Burham character who appears to be part Vulcan is there to fight the captain or be a source of conflict. An example of a past Star Trek series where the lead was not a Captain is Sisko on DS9. He was a leader, but he was in unique situation. That series turned out well. Sisko was given command and rank of Captain eventually. Given what Michelle Yeoh's character, Captain Georgiou says to Burnham, that it was time she finally had a command of her own, maybe she becomes the captain of the Discovery. I may not have seen all the discussion of this series, I sort of didn't want to know everything. I remember the early talk of this series was the lead wasn't going to be the Captain. But maybe that's not the case anymore. But if it is, it might be interesting as a journey to see Burnham grow as a character. You also reminded me that this show is said to be an anthology. I wonder if that will stay that way or if this crew is a success, they keep it going.

About the concern this series takes place only 100 years before Kirk and Spock. Why is that really a problem? Space is a very big place. We who grew up on TOS would like to think the exploits of Kirk and Spock are so legendary, that they were the only movers and shakers in the final frontier. But Starfleet is more then that crew. There must be other extraordinary crews with their own adventures. They might be in a totally different sector where there are still Klingon issues, but not the same Klingons we see on TOS. I doubt we will see a younger Kor or Kolath. Though that might be fun. So I'm not so sure the writers are trapped because we know what's going to happen. Kirk first meets the klingons in Errand of Mercy. But who says other crews don't meet them first. This is just Kirk's experience we see in Errand of Mercy. We do know that no one has seen a Romulan before Kirk does. So we know Romulans may not be in this series. So I don't see prequel or reboot. I see this as looking at the broader view of Starfleet. If we meet Pike, we'll, I wouldn't think that is a problem if done well. There were a heck of a lot of Westerns on TV during the 1950's and 1960's, so there's a lot of western frontier towns with lots of stories that could be told.

I like that this series looks like some real diversity is in the cast. An Asian woman and an African American woman are the apparent leads. I've never seen Sonequa Martin-Green in other projects before. So she's a new comer to me. I like that Yeoh still has an accent.

And finally, I posted earlier that the design of the delta or arrowhead emblem/mission patch, whatever you want to call it is the universal constant in every series and film. Even Enterprise though Michael Okuda had regressed the design so it was like the sideways emblem we see behind the admirals whenever Kirk is on a conference call with Starfleet. Someone disputed that so I felt I needed to clarify. The basic design of that emblem is the same in all the series, even Discovery. Of course it was originally meant as the mission patch for NCC-1701. But given how TV and movies works, that specific detail was left behind and it became the defacto emblem of Starfleet. There was no rigid rule that the emblem belonged to the NCC-1701 Enterprise, but early in the TOS run, we did see other emblems for the Exeter, Constellation and Starfleet. And other emblems for other ships, such as the Antares.

So here is my argument the emblem remains the same after 50 years. One of my design colleagues used to say a good iconic design is one you recognize in a dim room with a fuzzy view just from it's outline.

Here are the emblems from TOS, TMP, TNG, Kelvin Timeline and Discovery. Though Discovery has that goofy step along the right side:

Stafleet arrowhead emblem.jpg

I want to remain optimistic about Discovery. There's probably a lot riding on the success of the series. From what I saw on the trailer, it looks cinematic and visually very good. As far as designs go, I'm a little worried about the Discovery design, they took a lot of backlash on that earlier trailer. So that's to be seen. You can quibble about the design of the uniforms, but as I said, its window dressing. (Maybe I'll do a design review of that sometime later. ) But overall, if this series is about the soul of what made Star Trek so good, being about people, and the problems people have, and the human condition and the human adventure, then maybe it will be good.

7. Josh Steinberg

Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Haha :)

Ok, I will!

Nelson, I think you are a far better writer than you give yourself credit for, and I think at the same time you give me too much credit!

I think it's interesting you mentioned the Alien movies because in a way that's a best case scenario. I loved Prometheus so much and was so excited for a sequel, and then was super disappointed that Alien Covenant was announced as less of a Prometheus sequel and more of a traditional Alien movie. But I went and saw it anyway and it turns out that I really liked it. So I am hoping that after all of my skepticism on Discovery that the same thing will happen.

I think I am extra defensive on this new Star Trek thing because Trek has played such an important part in my life that I'd almost rather see no Trek than something that was awful. Having the franchise ignored would br better than having it ruined. But to worry about that is silly too because even if I totally hated Discovery, that doesn't change everything that came before it that I liked.

I just haven't had that "wow" moment where it was like "Yes! We're back! Let's do this!!" I had those moments with the trailers before the '09 movie but not here...not yet at least.

Your post is a very eloquent reminder on why I'm still going to give this show a try and why it'll be important for me to try to watch with a fresh and open mind.

8. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Hey Josh, thanks for the very nice reply. :)

You've said something I think I've felt for a very long time, but never really consciously realized that! All the way back to the dim times, as fans we do feel very protective of Star Trek. So I totally understand that. It's been a very important part of my life as well.

I agree the trailer didn't blow me away or say this is it. But it was done well enough that it gave me some confidence they might have something good to check out.

I don't look for too many of these Star Trek "deconstruct the trailer" YouTube videos, but this one was suggested by YouTube and while I don't know these people, it was amusing to watch. The interesting thing is they said many of the same things people here have said. They are much younger fans, so they're more TNG fans. One thing one of them said was she wasn't going to sign up for CBS All Access, but the trailer convinced her to do it.

Screen Junkies News:

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
  10. 490 May 28, 2017 at 3:11 PM
    Last edited: May 28, 2017 at 3:18 PM
    Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Love him or hate him, this guy (unfortunately) seems to know what the heck he's talking about:

(I hope things aren't really this desperate.)