What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
If I was forced to choose between my favorite Trek, it would be TNG(narrowly edging out TOS). It to me was the absolute perfect Star Trek series. Why couldn't 'Discovery' have taken place 20 years after it? The actors from that series are age appropriate so they could easily be written into a "special guest appearance" episode. They could have even have incorporated some of the smaller bit players in to larger roles(example: ensign Sonja Gomez now Chief of engineering on a star ship).

But I don't want to dream about that, the damage is already done.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
People have pointed this out, but one of the things that made DS9 special was that we took on two entirely new races really, in the Bajoran, Cardassian, and all the species in the wormhole, and they made it pretty unique. Yes, there were still Klingons mixed in here, but they were add on type characters, and the thrust was exploring these other species in depth.

Like I said, if this turns into "Klingon War" stuff, then my boredom factor will be really high

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If I was forced to choose between my favorite Trek, it would be TNG(narrowly edging out TOS). It to me was the absolute perfect Star Trek series. Why couldn't 'Discovery' have taken place 20 years after it? The actors from that series are age appropriate so they could easily be written into a "special guest appearance" episode. They could have even have incorporated some of the smaller bit players in to larger roles(example: ensign Sonja Gomez now Chief of engineering on a star ship).

Wow, that's an incredible idea. So obvious and yet...right there.

At its core, for many of us, you don't want Star Trek without an Enterprise. I'd love to see what the next crew and the next ship was like.

Any idea that took place in the future of Trek was more interesting to me than every idea set in its past.

(And the reason the Kelvin movies work for me is precisely because they're in an alternate universe where things will no longer unfold in the same way, so it deals with the same potential problem in a different way.)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

While this would have made for an almost perfect scenario for a new series, don’t discount the fact that TNG regulars -- or even DS9 or Voyager regulars -- could still guest star on the new series via either a "temporal rift" and/or "mirror universe" ep. This *is* a science fiction series after all ...

Live Long and Prosper!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think they had said that this was going to be an anthology series so season two could be another crew in another time. I had faint hopes that if this was successful, we could see some post-TNG stuff with old cast members popping up here or there.

I saw an Enterprise panel at a convention a couple years ago and they were great together, so funny. Now that I feel like I know them, I'd love to see them come back in some form.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Josh, I wanted to address your earlier post. And please do not take this as a negative jab at you. :). Your posts are always well written and thought out to make the points being made. I wish I can do that, it takes more effort for me, it's not as natural coming out of me.

With that said, after reading your earlier post, and from reading other Discovery or Star Trek posts, a thought keeps popping in my head and I've been wanting to say this for some time: Don't mince words Josh, tell us what you really think. :)

I still think this new series needs to be made per how the producers want to go. Nicholas Meyer has said art cannot be made by committee and I agree with that. As you heard him say, he's not going to let the fans or others drive this project, or words to that effect. I can be very wrong and I'm thinking of something else like the Spock situation in Wrath of Khan. Hopefully it will not be like what you wrote about the Alien movies. It won't be something we've seen before and you can guess the outcomes.

To which, this series may not apparently focus on a Captain. But how do we know that? And how is that necessarily a bad thing. I don't know what they have in mind, we don't know if this First Officer Burham character who appears to be part Vulcan is there to fight the captain or be a source of conflict. An example of a past Star Trek series where the lead was not a Captain is Sisko on DS9. He was a leader, but he was in unique situation. That series turned out well. Sisko was given command and rank of Captain eventually. Given what Michelle Yeoh's character, Captain Georgiou says to Burnham, that it was time she finally had a command of her own, maybe she becomes the captain of the Discovery. I may not have seen all the discussion of this series, I sort of didn't want to know everything. I remember the early talk of this series was the lead wasn't going to be the Captain. But maybe that's not the case anymore. But if it is, it might be interesting as a journey to see Burnham grow as a character. You also reminded me that this show is said to be an anthology. I wonder if that will stay that way or if this crew is a success, they keep it going.

About the concern this series takes place only 100 years before Kirk and Spock. Why is that really a problem? Space is a very big place. We who grew up on TOS would like to think the exploits of Kirk and Spock are so legendary, that they were the only movers and shakers in the final frontier. But Starfleet is more then that crew. There must be other extraordinary crews with their own adventures. They might be in a totally different sector where there are still Klingon issues, but not the same Klingons we see on TOS. I doubt we will see a younger Kor or Kolath. Though that might be fun. So I'm not so sure the writers are trapped because we know what's going to happen. Kirk first meets the klingons in Errand of Mercy. But who says other crews don't meet them first. This is just Kirk's experience we see in Errand of Mercy. We do know that no one has seen a Romulan before Kirk does. So we know Romulans may not be in this series. So I don't see prequel or reboot. I see this as looking at the broader view of Starfleet. If we meet Pike, we'll, I wouldn't think that is a problem if done well. There were a heck of a lot of Westerns on TV during the 1950's and 1960's, so there's a lot of western frontier towns with lots of stories that could be told.

I like that this series looks like some real diversity is in the cast. An Asian woman and an African American woman are the apparent leads. I've never seen Sonequa Martin-Green in other projects before. So she's a new comer to me. I like that Yeoh still has an accent.

And finally, I posted earlier that the design of the delta or arrowhead emblem/mission patch, whatever you want to call it is the universal constant in every series and film. Even Enterprise though Michael Okuda had regressed the design so it was like the sideways emblem we see behind the admirals whenever Kirk is on a conference call with Starfleet. Someone disputed that so I felt I needed to clarify. The basic design of that emblem is the same in all the series, even Discovery. Of course it was originally meant as the mission patch for NCC-1701. But given how TV and movies works, that specific detail was left behind and it became the defacto emblem of Starfleet. There was no rigid rule that the emblem belonged to the NCC-1701 Enterprise, but early in the TOS run, we did see other emblems for the Exeter, Constellation and Starfleet. And other emblems for other ships, such as the Antares.

So here is my argument the emblem remains the same after 50 years. One of my design colleagues used to say a good iconic design is one you recognize in a dim room with a fuzzy view just from it's outline.

Here are the emblems from TOS, TMP, TNG, Kelvin Timeline and Discovery. Though Discovery has that goofy step along the right side:

Stafleet arrowhead emblem.jpg

I want to remain optimistic about Discovery. There's probably a lot riding on the success of the series. From what I saw on the trailer, it looks cinematic and visually very good. As far as designs go, I'm a little worried about the Discovery design, they took a lot of backlash on that earlier trailer. So that's to be seen. You can quibble about the design of the uniforms, but as I said, its window dressing. (Maybe I'll do a design review of that sometime later. ) But overall, if this series is about the soul of what made Star Trek so good, being about people, and the problems people have, and the human condition and the human adventure, then maybe it will be good.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Don't mince words Josh, tell us what you really think. :)

Haha :)

Ok, I will!

Nelson, I think you are a far better writer than you give yourself credit for, and I think at the same time you give me too much credit!

I think it's interesting you mentioned the Alien movies because in a way that's a best case scenario. I loved Prometheus so much and was so excited for a sequel, and then was super disappointed that Alien Covenant was announced as less of a Prometheus sequel and more of a traditional Alien movie. But I went and saw it anyway and it turns out that I really liked it. So I am hoping that after all of my skepticism on Discovery that the same thing will happen.

I think I am extra defensive on this new Star Trek thing because Trek has played such an important part in my life that I'd almost rather see no Trek than something that was awful. Having the franchise ignored would br better than having it ruined. But to worry about that is silly too because even if I totally hated Discovery, that doesn't change everything that came before it that I liked.

I just haven't had that "wow" moment where it was like "Yes! We're back! Let's do this!!" I had those moments with the trailers before the '09 movie but not here...not yet at least.

Your post is a very eloquent reminder on why I'm still going to give this show a try and why it'll be important for me to try to watch with a fresh and open mind.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Josh, thanks for the very nice reply. :)

You've said something I think I've felt for a very long time, but never really consciously realized that! All the way back to the dim times, as fans we do feel very protective of Star Trek. So I totally understand that. It's been a very important part of my life as well.

I agree the trailer didn't blow me away or say this is it. But it was done well enough that it gave me some confidence they might have something good to check out.

I don't look for too many of these Star Trek "deconstruct the trailer" YouTube videos, but this one was suggested by YouTube and while I don't know these people, it was amusing to watch. The interesting thing is they said many of the same things people here have said. They are much younger fans, so they're more TNG fans. One thing one of them said was she wasn't going to sign up for CBS All Access, but the trailer convinced her to do it.

Screen Junkies News:

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Love him or hate him, this guy (unfortunately) seems to know what the heck he's talking about:

(I hope things aren't really this desperate.)

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Joseph. Quite a video and some disturbing insights he makes from the facts and rumors. The Abrams story has been discussed before , but this video made it clearer what he tried to do. Though I think his heart was always with Star Wars so he got to play there. But if he really was interested in doing a series for TV as well as his films, that could have been interesting like what Marvel has done. Though I would wonder if franchise fatigue is still an issue as to why the films are not doing as well as he says. So a series might have been doomed. And his Kelvin world just wasn't Star Trek enough for me.

More puzzling is the conclusions about Discovery becoming a reboot after Fuller's departure and if Mr. Moonves is behind some of the ideas, it strikes fear in me in that I don't think he gets Star Trek. That's my guess. I'm not crazy about another series based not on TOS or the Kelvin, but a hybrid universe that mixes elements of TOS and the Kelvin world. I'm guessing someone said Fuller's ideas are too Star Trek-y so make it something else.

But I'll still be curious to see what Discovery is really all about.

Oh yeah, the discussion about McFarland's show, The Orville. I'd never heard of it before until very recently. I'm not a fan of his. I know he loves Star Trek. It does look like a Galaxy Quest series with Star Trek ingredients. And it does look like a better option, but I can't get behind it if it's spoofing Star Trek. I did read he said the series will do similar heavy lifting as Star Trek has. But the humor parts I can't help but think will be very low brow. And not that that is bad, but if it's at the expense of TOS, then I won't like it. The trailer I saw had bits I didn't like, like the captain's ex. If she's there to cause friction, I'm not sure if that's going to be fun to watch.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I think the most intriguing thing about "The Orville" is all the ex Star Trek talent directly involved with the show. But I agree that with McFarland there is always the possibility (actually more like an expectation) that the humor will be low brow. That's sort of his "thing".

As to Discovery, I'm still determined at this point to give it a chance. But my expectations have been racheted *way* down!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Keep in mind McFarland made Cosmos happen (and he also produced). Neil DeGrasse-Tyson said Cosmos wouldn't have gotten off the ground without him. That said, I am also wary of his humor. The Ted movies and Family Guy have more dick and fart jokes than any grown man should tolerate. And his Oscar gig was a low point too. But the guy loves Star Trek, so I will give it a try.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
It is strange how his stuff can sometimes be so hilarious and yet fall completely flat other times. He is a modern day Mel Brooks!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
He also says Fuller's creation of Discovery allows for "another stream." Is that another timeline? I don't know.

I'm inclined to believe "Discovery" is just a complete reboot like the video posted above implies. Neither Prime, nor Calvin. There is far too much inconsistency being set 10 years before TOS. It seems it would have to be a reboot, or reimagining.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Looks like Bryan Fuller's footprint is still the foundation of the show:
http://collider.com/star-trek-discovery-lgbt-characters-alex-kurtzman-bryan-fuller/#cbs

Alex Kurtzman on Bryan Fuller's ideas and setup of the series:
“No absolutely there are footprints left on the show. Someone once described Bryan to me as a unicorn and that’s just the truth. He’s a one of a kind writer. He’s just unbelievably brilliant and I really, really loved working with him and I loved seeing the way that his mind worked. Bryan was very involved in American Gods and I think that the scope and scale of what Trek has become made it so that Bryan elected to say, ‘I don’t wanna short-change either of these two things,’ they’re both sort of beloved to him, so we sat down and we figured out how are we going to take what we can have of you and continue that through not only this season of Trek but hopefully set up things that are coming next season. So much of what’s there in terms of story and certainly in terms of set-up, character, big ideas, the big movement of the season, that’s all stuff that Bryan and I talked about".

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
CBS Press Release said:

“STAR TREK: DISCOVERY” TO LAUNCH SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 24

StarTrek_Discovery_867.jpg

Special Broadcast Premiere to Air on the CBS Television Network at 8:30 ET/7:30CT*
Series Premiere and Second Episode Will Be Available to Stream on CBS All Access
That Same Night Immediately Following the On-Air Premiere
After Premiere Night, All New Episodes Will Be Released Weekly
on Sundays Exclusively for CBS All Access Subscribers

15-Episode Season Will Roll Out in Two Chapters: The First 8 Episodes Will Run from
Sunday, Sept. 24 Through Sunday, Nov. 5; Second Chapter to Resume January 2018

June 19, 2017 – CBS All Access, the CBS Television Network’s digital subscription video on-demand and live streaming service, today announced its second original drama series, the highly anticipated STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, will launch Sunday, Sept. 24 with a broadcast premiere that night on the CBS Television Network airing 8:30-9:30 PM, ET/PT*. The series premiere will also be available on-demand on CBS All Access and the second episode of the series will be available on the service that same night immediately following the broadcast premiere.

After premiere night, all new episodes will be available on-demand weekly on Sundays exclusively for CBS All Access subscribers in the U.S. The 15-episode season will be released in two chapters. The first eight episodes will run from Sunday, Sept. 24 through Sunday, Nov. 5. The season will then resume with the second chapter in January 2018.

Star Trek, one of the most iconic and influential global television franchises, returns to television 50 years after it first premiered with STAR TREK: DISCOVERY. STAR TREK: DISCOVERY will follow the voyages of Starfleet on their missions to discover new worlds and new lifeforms, and one Starfleet officer who must learn that to truly understand all things alien, you must first understand yourself. The series will feature a new ship, new characters and new missions, while embracing the same ideology and hope for the future that inspired a generation of dreamers and doers.

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY is produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Alex Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout, Bryan Fuller’s Living Dead Guy Productions and Roddenberry Entertainment. Alex Kurtzman, Bryan Fuller, Heather Kadin, Gretchen J. Berg & Aaron Harberts, Akiva Goldsman, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth serve as executive producers. The series will be distributed concurrently by CBS Studios International on Netflix in 188 countries and in Canada on Bell Media’s Space channel and OTT service CraveTV.

CBS All Access is the CBS Television Network’s digital subscription video on-demand and live streaming service. In addition to its original series, which also includes season one of the new edition of “The Good Wife,” THE GOOD FIGHT, CBS All Access gives CBS fans the ability to watch more than 9,000 episodes on demand – spanning current shows from primetime, daytime and late night, as well as past seasons of select series and classic TV hits. CBS All Access is currently available online at CBS.com, on mobile devices via the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, and on Roku Players, Apple TV, Chromecast, Android TV, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Fire TV.

* Editor’s Note: Time approximate following NFL Football and “60 Minutes”

For press information on STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, please visit:
https://cbspressexpress.com/cbs-all-access/shows/star-trek-discovery/about

For more information on STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, please visit:

CBS.com: http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekCBS

Twitter: @StarTrekCBS

Instagram: @StarTrekCBS

Snapchat: @StarTrekCBS

To sign up for CBS All Access, please visit:
https://www.cbs.com/all-access

CBS All Access Contacts:
Morgan Seal 646-424-4321 [email protected]
Nikki Kozel 646-472-3948 [email protected]

CBS Television Studios Contacts:
Lauri Metrose 818-655-7223 [email protected]
Kristen Hall 818-655-7237 [email protected]

Photo Contact:
Lisette Azar 818-655-7219 [email protected]

Apparently the ship interiors that we saw in the trailer are the interiors of the U.S.S. Shenzhou and not the titular ship. That's why Michelle Yeoh is captain and not Jason Isaacs.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Wow, on a Sunday night at 8:30. When everyone is either watching football, baseball, or long established prestige television. They really don't want people to watch, do they?

And why the $&@! does a 15 episode season need a 2+ month break halfway through? This on top of a 9+ month premiere delay.

Wonder if they think this will crash and burn so hard that they're not even gonna bother with the second half of the season unless the ratings are monster - which, based on how this is being released, just isn't possible.

Why do they hate their own property so much?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks