What's new

New Star Trek Film Writers Announced (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
joshEH said:
Fans have been yapping for years about how Trek needs a "real" fan who loves the franchise to be in charge.

Well, you just got what you asked for.

What...wait, he's the wrong kind of fan? Yeah, just look around the boards again and see how many people post here that one massively disagrees with about what Trek "is," and how it should be handled, and what constitutes "real Star Trek."

Then ask yourself what the odds have ever been that, if a "real" Trekkie ever took the reins, he/she would be someone whose understanding of Trek you actually approved of. Meyer and Bennett came into Star Trek cold, immersed themselves in the characters, and became good and faithful custodians of them. Orci is at least that good.

He cares about the Trek characters, has his finger on their pulses, and so far, he has taken them in some interesting directions. In my opinion, taking proper care of the characters is 90 percent of making a good Trek story.

One can somewhat-fairly call Orci a hundred bad things (including a whacked-out conspiracy theorist, which, again, given what can be read on the Internet, seems to be an overlapping base with ST fans), but we can't even dare try to pretend for a moment that he's less into Star Trek and less knowledgeable about it than any of the rest of us.

It seems anything done in film with older characters (Star Trek, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, James Bond and Batman for example) are ALWAYS controversial.

I think there is always a desire to see films made exactly they were 30+ years ago and that simply cannot be the case. Everything has evolved from when we were younger.

I'm looking forward to another Trek film. I loved the 2009 one for what it was. Into Darkness was ok, but entertaining. For me The Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock and The Voyage Home will never be topped. And that is fine with me. I enjoy seeing the new interpretations of the characters and the series.

It's all good.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Josh Steinberg said:
I loved "Star Trek" '09, and I really liked "Star Trek Into Darkness" (maybe a little more when it first came out than I do now -- the IMAX presentation was spectacular).

Of all the choices in "Into Darkness" that have bothered lots of fans, I think the thing that bugs me the most now is the extended Spock/Khan chase through San Francisco at the end of the film. And it's not even the "we never saw 23rd century earth in the original series, it wasn't much of a big part in the original movies, but now it's all earth/all the time on this supposed deep space series" thing. It just wasn't that interesting coming on the heels of everything that came before. You know Kirk isn't going to stay dead, so you know Spock will be successful in capturing Khan. The chase is well shot, but it doesn't feel like anything new -- it feels like a retread of a scene towards the end of "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack Of The Clones" where Anakin, Padme, and C3P0 are all trying to escape from a factory. But that it's deritive isn't even my biggest complaint. It's just that the movie seemed over to me by that point, and yet it keeps going. Once the Enterprise doesn't crash, and the Vengeance does, the movie is basically over. I don't think it needed another giant action sequence at the end.

Meanwhile -- the poor residents of San Francisco have just had a giant top secret weaponized starship crash into their city, presumably causing mass damage -- and the only resolution we get on that is a one or two sentence voice over by Kirk addressing Starfleet personnel at the end. You'd think the fall-out from that whole thing would warrant more than that.

I'm looking forward to the next Star Trek movie -- I wish Paramount would treat it as more of a priority. I was shocked that it took them four years after the first reboot movie to do a second one, and I think some of the box office disappointment can be attributed to Paramount not seizing any of the momentum from the release of the first film, so all of the people who maybe weren't huge Star Trek fans but liked the first one had to be resold on the idea.

My big wish for the next one is that it take place entirely in space, or at least, not on Earth. Whether the threat is more man-made or more a force of nature, I'm open to either, but I'd like it to not be an earth-centric mission. My second big wish is for them not to take any more steps backward. By that, I mean.. for example, at the end of the first film, Captain Kirk is given his own ship and proved that he's worthy of being a captain... and then right away in the second film they take the ship away and say he's too young and untested and reckless, completely wiping away all of the character gains from the first film and forcing us to retreat a lot of the same ground. I'd like them to not do that again.
It was interesting to see some elements from Soward's Wrath of Khan script in Into Darkness. I'm not sure how intentional the filmmakers were being with this. I believe in the 1981 or 1982 WOK script that Soward's wrote Khan and Kirk conclude the film by having a fist fight / brawl. Of course this ending was changed when Nick Meyer rewrote the script in 2 weeks before filming took place. At any rate, I thought it was an interesting "connection" to The Wrath of Khan.

I highly recommend The Making of Star Trek the Wrath of Khan book by Allan Asherman.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Making-Star-Trek-Wrath/dp/0671461826

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
andySu said:
I watch TOS at least a same season/episode multiple times in an evening just for the sakes of it. Nothing good worthwhile for me to switch on HD tv box so might as well chill with some SD DVD STAR TREK TOS.

I like The Man Trap. "Nancy, understood" the shapeshgiting salt creature that transformers into Nancy or anyone.
I have all 3 seasons of TOS on blu ray. On Saturday night's I still turn on MeTV to see which one they are showing. They are showing the episodes in order.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Osato said:
I have all 3 seasons of TOS on blu ray. On Saturday night's I still turn on MeTV to see which one they are showing. They are showing the episodes in order.
TV, isn't vintage ones its the GCI Enterprise. I only have the HD-DVD box set for that and the rest Laserdisc original MONO mix and region 2 DVD which is same as the region 1 DVD late 90's only region 2 has three shows per DVD the USA version only 2 per DVD. Also off-air STAR TREK recoded on VHS to DVD-RW with reel change over dots ever 15 or 20 mins so, and scratches and it looks brighter as well.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, you can watch the original optical effects of the Enterprise in splendid living color and high definition on the blu rays! I must admit that I like to watch the remastered effects when I watch TOS. I guess because it's new :). I'll watch with the original effects the next time.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Nelson Au said:
Yeah, you can watch the original optical effects of the Enterprise in splendid living color and high definition on the blu rays!I must admit that I like to watch the remastered effects when I watch TOS. I guess because it's new :). I'll watch with the original effects the next time.
I've watched both -- I think the first time I watched the set, I watched with the original, and the second time around, with the new effects. They do a really good job of keeping to the intent and style of the originals, so it doesn't seem radically different one way or the other (which I think was the point).

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Nelson Au said:
Yeah, you can watch the original optical effects of the Enterprise in splendid living color and high definition on the blu rays!I must admit that I like to watch the remastered effects when I watch TOS. I guess because it's new :). I'll watch with the original effects the next time.
Agreed. I always watch the remastered versions, even though we do have an option with the blu ray sets.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
I must admit that I like to watch the remastered effects when I watch TOS. I guess because it's new :).
Image of Nelson,The cause was more than sufficient. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks