What's new

New Star Trek Film Writers Announced (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
We've not seen what Orci can do if left alone. He's still working with The Committee and Abrams. So I'll stay open minded, but dubious. :)Manny Coto is a fan and he did a good job with Enterprise in the 4th season. If only he had a chance for a fifth season. But the new rebooted film series is under a different management style. They have to focus on gaining a new fan base. They are not totally ignoring us TOS fans and they are trying. I can see it, they have thrown a lot of TOS references into the films. I appreciate that others are liking this new film series and I respect your opinion on that. That's great! It's like the old adage, it's not your father's Star Trek anymore. Or as Captain Jellico said, "With all respect, The Enterprise is mine now. "I hope the next film will be great. And I'll see it. I just hope the characters act like how I'm used to them acting. But I also realize they will be what they are because of new actors and new writers and directors. And of course, new marketing needs to meet a younger audience.No doubt, there's a passionate fan base that will never agree on the new film series.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I liked the first new Trek film. I'm okay with Into Darkness except for the direct lifting of dialog from TWOK. And Spock's "KHANNNNNN!!!!" yell was cringe inducing - wrong place, wrong character, wrong response. The rest I can go easier with if I just pretend that Cumberbatch simply plays a generic bad guy who happens to have the same name as TOS's Khan, but is nothing like him (because, he's really not)

One thing that gives me hope... nowhere do I see the name "Damon Lindelof" mentioned.

That's a good thing.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Orci has never stood out as a strong writer to me, but when it comes to Star Trek, something he is passionate about I think he shines.
I loved the first two films, and look forward to the third. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I loved "Star Trek" '09, and I really liked "Star Trek Into Darkness" (maybe a little more when it first came out than I do now -- the IMAX presentation was spectacular).

Of all the choices in "Into Darkness" that have bothered lots of fans, I think the thing that bugs me the most now is the extended Spock/Khan chase through San Francisco at the end of the film. And it's not even the "we never saw 23rd century earth in the original series, it wasn't much of a big part in the original movies, but now it's all earth/all the time on this supposed deep space series" thing. It just wasn't that interesting coming on the heels of everything that came before. You know Kirk isn't going to stay dead, so you know Spock will be successful in capturing Khan. The chase is well shot, but it doesn't feel like anything new -- it feels like a retread of a scene towards the end of "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack Of The Clones" where Anakin, Padme, and C3P0 are all trying to escape from a factory. But that it's deritive isn't even my biggest complaint. It's just that the movie seemed over to me by that point, and yet it keeps going. Once the Enterprise doesn't crash, and the Vengeance does, the movie is basically over. I don't think it needed another giant action sequence at the end.

Meanwhile -- the poor residents of San Francisco have just had a giant top secret weaponized starship crash into their city, presumably causing mass damage -- and the only resolution we get on that is a one or two sentence voice over by Kirk addressing Starfleet personnel at the end. You'd think the fall-out from that whole thing would warrant more than that.

I'm looking forward to the next Star Trek movie -- I wish Paramount would treat it as more of a priority. I was shocked that it took them four years after the first reboot movie to do a second one, and I think some of the box office disappointment can be attributed to Paramount not seizing any of the momentum from the release of the first film, so all of the people who maybe weren't huge Star Trek fans but liked the first one had to be resold on the idea.

My big wish for the next one is that it take place entirely in space, or at least, not on Earth. Whether the threat is more man-made or more a force of nature, I'm open to either, but I'd like it to not be an earth-centric mission. My second big wish is for them not to take any more steps backward. By that, I mean.. for example, at the end of the first film, Captain Kirk is given his own ship and proved that he's worthy of being a captain... and then right away in the second film they take the ship away and say he's too young and untested and reckless, completely wiping away all of the character gains from the first film and forcing us to retreat a lot of the same ground. I'd like them to not do that again.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Joel Fontenot said:
And Spock's "KHANNNNNN!!!!" yell was cringe inducing - wrong place, wrong character, wrong response..
That's probably my favorite moment in the movie (people cheered in the theater when I saw it too) but I've never seen Star Trek II so I have no concern or connection to the original moment or characters.

The only Roberto Orci stuff I've liked has been done under the auspices of J.J. Abrams (who I assume will be too busy doing Star Wars to have much to do with this movie) so I can't say that I'm particularly excited to see where this series goes without Abrams but at the same time, any honest Trek fan has to admit that Trekkers are a very tough bunch to please and barring the ghost of Gene Roddenberry, I don't think anyone would be met with much enthusiasm from them.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
TravisR said:
The only Roberto Orci stuff I've liked has been done under the auspices of J.J. Abrams (who I assume will be too busy doing Star Wars to have much to do with this movie) so I can't say that I'm particularly excited to see where this series goes without Abrams but at the same time, any honest Trek fan has to admit that Trekkers are a very tough bunch to please and barring the ghost of Gene Roddenberry, I don't think anyone would be met with much enthusiasm from them.
This.

Hell, at this point I'm shocked that any creative individual would even want to touch Star Trek, with all the crap that they have to put up with from the fanbase.

Even if Trek fandom isn't riddled with total nutjobs (and I'm certainly one of these), its public reputation is that of an obsessive group of autism-spectrum ubernerds who can never be pleased or reasoned with.

So I wouldn't be at all surprised if some creative types looked at Trek sideways and said, "No thanks."

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
"Star Trek" must be one of the most-watched franchises where most of the viewers seemingly pretend either never to have seen it or never to have liked it.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
I wouldn't be at all surprised if some creative types looked at Trek sideways and said, "No thanks."
Considering the godawful way they've handled it, I say GOOD!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Josh Steinberg said:
"Star Trek" must be one of the most-watched franchises where most of the viewers seemingly pretend either never to have seen it or never to have liked it.
Unfortunately, I'd blame the hardcore fans for that. I hate to even say that because there's nothing wrong with being passionate and loving something but at the same time, the hardcore Trek fan has made it so that the average person who has watched most or all the episodes and the movies is embarrassed to be thought the same as the guy who is wearing the screen accurate Picard costume. I know the feeling because I love comic books but when I go to a convention, I hope people walking by don't think I'm like the guy wearing the Sailor Moon outfit further up in line.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Not being a super Star Wars fan, this is the first time these kinds of threads are discussing the new Trek vs the original Trek like the threads for The Original Trilogy vs the Prequals?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I despise Orci's screenwriting. I have relative ease with suspension of disbelief for most sci-fi/fantasy/drama, but his machinations always strike a nerve with me wrongly. My middling interest in ST3 is now nil. From the writer of Transformers as a buzz line is DOA for me.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
The problem I had with Into Darkness after liking ST '09 was that they simply lifted The Wrath of Khan script, made some basic changes to the start, lifted nearly verbatim the second half and then pushed it out there as their own. I simply cannot respect filmmakers who do that and don't think they deserve any credit or praise for such a half-assed effort. Of course people liked it. I did too when I saw it the first time back in 1982.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm just hoping the next movie isn't about war and/or combat, so maybe it could feel like, you know, Star Trek.

(And the destruction at the end of Into Darkness, while not as bad of Man of Steel, was way over the top, especially for a Star Trek movie. Tentpole movies need a new ending.)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Orci has mentioned in several recent interviews a strong desire to get back to a deep-space "exploratory mission" for the next movie, one more in the vein of the original TV series -- he said this was the main reason why they deliberately set up the five-year mission in the last movie as Kirk's crew's upcoming thing.

Sounds good to me; Orci knows his Trek, and "exploring strange new worlds" is the meat and potatoes of the franchise (well...apart from DS9, I mean).

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Orci has spread himself too thin and now he is going to take on a new challenge with zero experience?

I hope for the best but this is a recipe for disaster. I'm on the edge of black hole event horizon with this directing announcement.

What new silliness will be foisted on us in the third movie? After transwarp beaming and magical blood I canna take no more!

Thank the Lords of Kobol for Christopher Nolan's upcoming Interstellar to give me a proper SF fix.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
SilverWook said:
And yet, watching TOS paid off for the makers of TWOK. How else is a writer supposed to get a feel for the source material if they don't at least watch a couple well regarded episodes? Does the Abram's version even have a bible?

If the future means more rehashed villians and plots, there's not much left for us old fans to stick around for. We're not the demographic Paramount wants money from anymore.
I strongly agree I smelled money light-years off. Greedy is all they are.
Well I'm not going to the cinema I have boycotted cinema now there is no real cinemas around today in the UK no longer. Odds on buying bluray are even more bleak, as I rarely buy bluray on large scale so looks to me they can keep it as STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS was plot-pointless money grabber.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Lou Sytsma said:
Orci has spread himself too thin and now he is going to take on a new challenge with zero experience?

I hope for the best but this is a recipe for disaster. I'm on the edge of black hole event horizon with this directing announcement.

What new silliness will be foisted on us in the third movie? After transwarp beaming and magical blood I canna take no more!

Thank the Lords of Kobol for Christopher Nolan's upcoming Interstellar to give me a proper SF fix.
I'm not a fan of the director. I do understand what you mean about finding your Sci-Fi, fix and I'm glad for you for it to give you some true sci-fi juice tastes (rarely we see large scale sci-fi blockbusters today) for your bluray collection, months later in your home theatre.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You know something, for me, there is nothing better then sitting back and enjoying an episode of TOS. There's still more to learn from each viewing. Especially after read a chapter in Marc Cushman's These are The Voyages books on season 1 and 2.Of course I understand the hunger for new Trek. But we also have the new blu rays of TNG and Enterprise. Ever since Orci had his meltdown as well as Simon Pegg, their stock has dropped considerably in my view. Orci may be a fan. And I think he knows Star Trek. But I'm not a fan of his last two scripts.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I watch TOS at least a same season/episode multiple times in an evening just for the sakes of it. Nothing good worthwhile for me to switch on HD tv box so might as well chill with some SD DVD STAR TREK TOS.

I like The Man Trap. "Nancy, understood" the shapeshgiting salt creature that transformers into Nancy or anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks