What's new

Spider-Man Homecoming - July 7, 2017 (2 Viewers)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I forgot that Ganke/Ned connection but yeah, I assumed he was Ned Leeds (at least in name).

If they didn't even use the name Leeds, then I'm better with it. I just wish they'd called him Ganke, but maybe they were afraid people would think they were totally replacing Miles with Peter (which is kind of a weird reversal). BTW, you probably saw the Spider-Man PS4 gameplay from E3 where Miles made an appearance.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If they didn't even use the name Leeds, then I'm better with it. I just wish they'd called him Ganke, but maybe they were afraid people would think they were totally replacing Miles with Peter (which is kind of a weird reversal).
I sure don't know the ins and outs of Sony's Spider-Man deal but I was wondering if it was an issue of not having the rights to the characters created for the Ultimate universe since I think the movie deal dates back to before the Ultimate U was even created.

I haven't read a Spider-Man book in over a decade. Who is Ganke?
He's the best friend of Miles Morales (Spider-Man from the old Ultimate universe).

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Saw this at a matinee yesterday, expected a lot more people in the theater than there were. It was ok. I'd give it 3.0 out of 5. I agree with Mark Booth, I didn't care for Peter's immaturity. It was quite annoying. Didn't like that his suit had a mind of it's own. I think "Karen" had more speaking lines than Michael Keaton. I thought the acting was sub par especially with the high school kids. Still like Andrew Garfield better and Toby McGuire better. For me, the brightest spot of this movie was Michael Keaton. Also, save your money on the 3D, it wasn't very good.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Saw this at a matinee yesterday, expected a lot more people in the theater than there were. It was ok. I'd give it 3.0 out of 5. I agree with Mark Booth, I didn't care for Peter's immaturity. It was quite annoying. Didn't like that his suit had a mind of it's own. I think "Karen" had more speaking lines than Michael Keaton. I thought the acting was sub par especially with the high school kids. Still like Andrew Garfield better and Toby McGuire better. For me, the brightest spot of this movie was Michael Keaton. Also, save your money on the 3D, it wasn't very good.
I really liked hearing Karen's voice.:blush: Nice job by Jennifer Connelly.:D

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
This was meant to be part of something released by Marvel later this year, but they released it now as a tribute to Joan Lee.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
IMG_4953.JPG

Great movie! I really liked it. I think I need to see it again and "process" it more before knowing where I'd rank it amongst the previous Spider-Man movies, but it's certainly in the top 3 (with Rami's 1&2).

Tom Holland was great as Peter. You can really feel for this kid who has all this awesome potential and desperately wants to prove himself but really has no idea how to be a superhero yet. We're basically seeing the Spidey that existed in the blink of an eye in Rami's original between the wrestling match and his uncle's death and the crime fighting montage.

In Homecoming, Spider-Man doesn't just emerge as a fully formed hero. He's trying to figure out how to do that and stumbling along the way. It's interesting because Marvel avoided doing the Spidey origin again since the vast majority of the audience has already seen that (spider bite and Ben's death), twice. Though this movie is absolutely still an origin story, but it's an aspect of his origin that has been glossed over previously. Definitely a good choice.

And another departure from previous films is keeping him in the outer boroughs rather than functioning as a big time hero amidst the skyscrapers of Manhattan. Training wheels.

Of course I'm also looking forward to seeing this Spidey mature and grow in skill and finesse. July 2019!

Michael Keaton was great. Definitely one of the best villains Marvel has done. He was grounded, human, relatable and dangerous. You understood his motivations and empathize with him. And he was genuinely threatening, yet apparently has some sense of honor.

Peter's friend Ned was a nice addition to the film. Loved the "guy in the chair" aspect and his response to the teacher when asked what he was doing.

Though Flash didn't have the physical presence that he traditionally has, he portrayed a bully really well. An insecure, jealous bully. No complaints there.

Liz and Michelle were fine.

And I thought the score was great. I walked out with two very distinct and memorable themes that I'm still humming. Both the Peter/Spider-Man theme and the Vulture theme were nicely done.

Great final line of the movie too! Laughed out loud with that one.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's interesting because Marvel avoided doing the Spidey origin again since the vast majority of the audience has already seen that (spider bite and Ben's death), twice. Though this movie is absolutely still an origin story, but it's an aspect of his origin that has been glossed over previously. Definitely a good choice.
Yeah, I didn't mention that earlier but I couldn't be happier that they didn't waste half the movie on an origin story.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It was easily the most fun Spider-Man movie in 13 years. I liked that it was essentially a high school movie, and that Spider-Man's trials were not unlike those of a high schooler. I also liked that he was in over his head a few times. I thought maybe the writing was more deft for his character in Civil War, but Holland is great as Spider-Man. There were many laugh-out-loud moments. Keaton did indeed steal the show; he was excellent. And Downey's presence was very reassuring. Hopefully we get to see the Prowler in action at some point. I also liked how the movie built on things from earlier Marvel films, like the "incident" from the Avengers. (Did I read the timeline right? Avengers 1 took place 8 years before Civil War?) Thoroughly enjoyable, and can't wait to see more.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Didn't like that his suit had a mind of it's own. I think "Karen" had more speaking lines than Michael Keaton.
Haven't seen the film yet, but read about the "suit" in a couple places and I'm not sure I like this development (as compared to past films; I'm not sure what's been done in the comics).

Does this Spidey actually have any superpowers, or is he just another guy in a suit with gadgets like Batman or Ironman?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Does this Spidey actually have any superpowers, or is he just another guy in a suit with gadgets like Batman or Ironman?

In the film, it's clear that he has superpowers. While the suit may give him some advanced weaponry and other gadgets, he still has enhanced strength and agility, and his senses are stronger than a normal person's.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
'Spider-Man: Homecoming' was a good time at the movies. We'll probably show it in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater. But it could have been even better if we got what the title implies. Namely, Spider-MAN. Instead, it is about Spider-Boy. And although I knew that going in, I didn't know that Spider-Boy would be a bit of bumbling fool.

I didn't care for a Batman that could be so easily outwitted as he was in 'Batman vs. Superman' and I'm not particularly fond of a learn-as-you-go Spider-Boy. I don't suffer super hero fools gladly. I'll take my super heroes with more self confidence, thank you. It's one thing to make mistakes, quite another to be a bumbler.

Once I accepted that situation for what it was, I was able to mostly enjoy the film. The Booth Bijou gives 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' 4 out of 5 stars.

Also....
Spider-Man really needs his spidey sense back. Seriously, what moron decided to take that away?

Edit: I'll answer my own spoiler question...
Maybe they took his spidey sense away because, with it, Spider-Man can't be as much of a bumbling fool?!

Mark

Wow i'm trying to form a response but I find it hard to believe this is a real commentary.

Spider-Boy? Are you kidding?
He does wear a full costume so anyone who sees him in action wouldnt really think he was a young teen unless, well unless they know him.
I. wow I just don't understand a comment like this.

Bumbling fool? What did he do
that was as a bumbling fool?
Everything he did was after trying to convince Stark and Hap that they needed to get involved. They didn't so he acted on his own and did the best he could for a young teen just starting out with these powers.

What makes you think he didn't have his spider sense?
Because no one said spider sense?
Seemed clear to me he had a sense that allowed him to evade things.
Boy I don't know. shaking my head in disbelief.

Anyway I loved it.
Hit all the right notes for me.
PP being a teen in high school which was one of my favorite time periods for the comic.

Keaton as The Vulture was great.
When he was driving them to the prom and it dawned on Toomes what was
going, on the colors from the street were changing and literally turned green at that moment.

Two Shockers, The Tinkerer, The Prowler The Scorpion. Holy cow and none of it seemed crammed in.

The Humor was great.
Aunt May as a character was good but Tomei doesn't really work for me.
It Creeps me out a little watching characters drooling over her.
I don't need her to be a grandmom but maybe a little older but it's a minor qibble.

I would rather He have a normal suit but I'm fine with it.
Aunt May's line to close the film was a riot and the end credit bit was really funny.

A few people including me were very surprised when Adrian Toomes daughter was revealed. I never expected it.

4.5 of 5 stars.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
In the film, it's clear that he has superpowers. While the suit may give him some advanced weaponry and other gadgets, he still has enhanced strength and agility, and his senses are stronger than a normal person's.
I initially didn't like that the suit augmented his powers but in the context of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it does make sense. Stark Industries built his Spidey suit so it only stands to reason that it would be in the vein of the Iron Man suits and have all kinds of useful gadgets.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just returned from seeing Homecoming and Marvel nailed the character. My new favorite Spider-Man movie.
I would still give Spider-Man 2 a slight edge as the better movie, but Tom Holland is far and away the best Spider-Man. Pretty early on, I forgot I was watching an actor and just accepted that it was Peter Parker up there on the screen. That never happened with
Tobey Maguire or Andrew Garfield.

The only negative some folks might have is some of the casting (with Flash being the main example) but honestly I didn't have a problem with it.
I thought the casting was excellent from top to bottom. The only critique I had was that they've wasted Angourie Rice as Betty Brant when she would have made an absolutely perfect Gwen Stacy.

The reconception of Flash Thompson with Tony Revolori was fantastic. A lot has changed in New York City public education since the Silver Age of comics. In 2017, it makes sense that Peter would go to a magnet school that you have to test into. And once you make that decision, everybody at the school is going to be really smart in science and technology, so Flash as a dumb jock no longer works. It also works better to have him be socially antagonistic rather than physically antagonistic; once Peter got bit by that spider, the idea that Flash could hurt him became a little ridiculous. By contrast, the rich kid talking shit about Peter behind his back has a lot more potential to make his life hell.

Sally Field once described the limitations of playing Aunt May as follows: "You can't put ten pounds of shit in a five-pound bag." Her Aunt May was younger than Rosemary Harris's Aunt May from the Raimi movies, but she was essentially hitting the same tired beats. Marisa Tomei's Aunt May is something different and interesting. Instead of being far older than Peter's parents, she was probably a younger sibling and the "cool aunt" when they were alive. And because they skipped over the origin story, there's a primacy to May's relationship with Peter that can't exist in the same way when Uncle Ben's influence and his murder define Peter's character. The movie provides a few moments that point toward there having been an Uncle Ben who died, but it doesn't dwell on that as Peter's defining tragedy.

Zendaya's got a real "Ally Sheedy in The Breakfast Club" thing going on in this movie that really works. She doesn't have a whole lot of scenes, but she changes the energy in a really interesting way every time she's on screen. As for that line near the end: it could be foreshadowing or it could just be the writers having a bit of fun with the audience. I'd honestly be fine either way, as long as we get to see where this character goes in the sequel.

Thankfully the sincerity and general charm of Spider-Man makes a welcome return for the first time since 2004's Spider-Man 2.
This is so true. Not only is Peter winningly sincere, but he never loses sight of how cool it is to be Spider-Man -- even when it's real drudge work.

If they were going to use the Ramones, I'd have rather they went with their great take on the Spider-Man cartoon theme but Blitzkrieg Bop worked too.
I kind of think that that was a nod to Rock 'n' Roll High School.

And although I knew that going in, I didn't know that Spider-Boy would be a bit of bumbling fool.
I wouldn't call him a bumbling fool, as I think a certain learning curve is only natural. It's worth remembering that Toomes and his crew had eight years to refine their operation between the Battle of New York and this movie. It makes sense that they'd be more on their game than a teenager who's still pretty new to all of this.

That said, I do think it diminishes the character a bit when Spider-Man's interventions repeatedly cause worse problems than would have transpired had he hung back. The Vulture and his crew are essentially a gang of thieves. Yes, what they're stealing, re-engineering and then selling are extremely dangerous goods, but this isn't a dastardly supervillain hellbent on destroying the world. Toomes is an upper-middle-class guy from a working class background who was a law-abiding citizen until he fell victim to crony capitalism. His snatch and grabs were designed to fly under the radar, with as little collateral damage as possible. In each case, nobody would have gotten hurt and the property damage would have been minimal had Spider-Man not intervened. Spidey needs some version of the Hippocratic Oath, to first do no harm.

Didn't like that his suit had a mind of it's own. I think "Karen" had more speaking lines than Michael Keaton.
I didn't care for this aspect either. Having Tony Stark make Peter's suit brilliant; it provides an explanation for something the previous five movies carefully ignored: How a young guy from Queens could make something that cost professional costume designers tens of thousands of dollars to make. But making the suit essentially an Iron Man armor without the armor robs Spider-Man of some of the underdog qualities that propel that character.

I was very happy when it got taken away from him and he had to go back to his homemade suit with his homemade web shooters. And I loved that that costume a) looked like something a high school kid could actually put together; and b) was a nice homage to the Scarlet Spider costume, only with the colors reversed.

I got a real kick out of the cameo of the Ben Reilly Spider-Man costume near the end. I know a lot of people don't care for it, especially because of its association with the whole Clone Saga mess, but I always loved that costume. I hope Peter gets to wear it at some point during the next two Avengers movies.

For me, the brightest spot of this movie was Michael Keaton.
He was excellent. There's a certain weight that comes from having one of the most iconic big screen superheroes playing a villain, the equivalent to having Sean Connery show up in a Daniel Craig Bond picture as the Big Bad. But it also helped that he wasn't a complete monster. His motivations were fleshed out well, and his ambitions (and crimes) were fairly constrained. Toomes isn't a guy looking to take over the world. He's a guy who became convinced that the game was rigged against him, and so he decided to break the rules to level the playing field, pay his mortgage and send his daughter to college. As far as I can recall, he only actually killed one person, and while he wasn't super broken up about it, there were indications that that had not been his intention at the time.

That mid-credits scene was a wonderful bit of characterization; Peter Parker may have ruined him, but Toomes never-the-less respects the hell out of him.

Nice job by Jennifer Connelly.:D
I totally failed to make that connection. Nice callback to the early days of Marvel's heroes onscreen, with the Ang Lee Hulk film.

And another departure from previous films is keeping him in the outer boroughs rather than functioning as a big time hero amidst the skyscrapers of Manhattan.
I thought that was great. Manhattan featured somewhat prominently, since the Avengers tower takes the place of the Pan Am (now MetLife) building in the MCU version of New York City, but it was nice that the bulk of the New York City scenes were set in Queens. It always bugged me that the previous Spider-Man movies centered so heavily around the touristy landmarks.

And I thought the score was great. I walked out with two very distinct and memorable themes that I'm still humming. Both the Peter/Spider-Man theme and the Vulture theme were nicely done.
I loved it too. I really dug the inclusion of the theme from the 1967 cartoon early on in the score. It's the first MCU score that's really stood out to me since Christophe Beck's work on Ant-Man.

Great final line of the movie too! Laughed out loud with that one.
Absolutely perfect beat to end on. I just wish they'd used one of their two permitted PG-13 fucks rather than cutting it off mid-word.

I liked that it was essentially a high school movie, and that Spider-Man's trials were not unlike those of a high schooler.
This was the movie's greatest strength. One of the movie's writers, John Francis Daley, played the male lead on "Freaks and Geeks", maybe the best show ever made about high school. So he had a front row seat to learn from the best.

Two Shockers, The Tinkerer, The Prowler The Scorpion. Holy cow and none of it seemed crammed in.
One of the best decisions was to make them all part of the same crew. Keaton's Vulture was unquestionably THE villain, while the rest were just components of that same threat.

A few people including me were very surprised when Adrian Toomes daughter was revealed. I never expected it.
I've been wracking my brain trying to think whether Liz's last name was ever actually spoken allowed. I was caught by surprise too, because I just assumed she was Liz Allan. If she was specifically identified by that name, it's a bit of a cheat that she'd have a different last name than her custodial father. If she wasn't specifically identified by that name, and my knowledge of Spider-Man just filled in the blanks, than it's an effective twist.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
What a year 2017 is turning out to be for comic book movies!

Logan
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Wonder Woman
Spider-Man Homecoming

All very good films with great reviews, audience reception, and box office hauls. And all, frankly, very different movies. Comic book movie fatigue my ass! Just make good movies and people are happy to see them (and critics are happy to give them good reviews).

Hopefully Thor Ragnarok and Justice League turn out to be good as well.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Marisa Tomei's age. Peter is 15 in this film, she's going to be 53 years old later this year. She looks good for her age, but the age is about right for an aunt to a teenager. Matter of fact, her age might be more correct than in previous Spider-Man films.
It wasn't until they cast younger women to play Aunt May that I realized that that makes more sense than having Aunt May be about 100 years old like in the silver age comics.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Forgive this tangent but did the Dark Tower trailer play in front of this? This is the primo opportunity for Sony to promote the film and I pray they are taking advantage of it. If it did, how did audiences react? Thanks.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Forgive this tangent but did the Dark Tower trailer play in front of this? This is the primo opportunity for Sony to promote the film and I pray they are taking advantage of it. If it did, how did audiences react? Thanks.
It played in front of my showing. I thought the audience reacted well to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks