What's new

new Spider-Man Deluxe Edition DVD out before Spider-Man 2 hits the screen (1 Viewer)

CraigL

Screenwriter
I understand perfectly.

But no one is talking about the running time of the movie.

Everyone is talking about the running times associated with the extras listed. Maybe YOU are not understanding.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Well, since this is not a Superbit, I won't be buying it - unless they have a new transfer which I doubt.

Real Name
Anthony
Yeah, I did wonder about that myself but I haven't got round to checking. Would the BBFC have to reapprove features that had already been released ?

James Reader

Screenwriter
I don't know the rules. Duplicate certification does seem to happen a lot, but I'm not sure if it's required by law as long as the rights haven't changed hands.

Some of the timings are different. It's very wierd.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I also suspected that they were the branching featurettes, but since the times are different, the new listings have stuff not included and they were recently approved, I just figured they'd be new.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
According to dvdtimes.org.uk, the Deluxe Edition will contain the following:

Spider-Man™ (Deluxe Edition) - $24.95 - This special box set includes the Widescreen 2-disc Spider-Man: Special Edition plus an all-new bonus disc that will include a sneak peek at the new movie, exclusive added features, a sampler of the new Activision Spider-Man game, and more.

I'll save my money.

Chris

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
Dvdanswers.com and Dvdtimes.co.uk have added the covers of TWO new releases - the Deluxe Edition AND a Superbit! Boy does this seem like overkill...

To add to the confusion Dvdtimes states the Superbit has an exclusive commentary with Toby Maguire (could be meant for the DE though).

Real Name
Anthony
Yes - here's the press release :

Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment have announced two new Region 1 editions of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man™ for 1st June 2004...

Spider-Man™ (Superbit) - $26.96 - Featuring a new anamorphic widescreen transfer with English DD5.1 and DTS 5.1 Surround audio the biggest surprise on this release is the inclusion of an exclusive commentary with Tobey Maguire.

Spider-Man™ (Deluxe Edition) - $24.95 - This special box set includes the Widescreen 2-disc Spider-Man: Special Edition plus an all-new bonus disc that will include a sneak peek at the new movie, exclusive added features, a sampler of the new Activision Spider-Man game, and more.

How perverse is this ? Putting a commentary on the Superbit but not on the D.E ? Surely a DELUXE edition should include all extras, remastered picture and DTS. Isn't that what the word DELUXE means ?

Money grabbing b******s.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
That has to be a new low.

I'm not buying the Superbit just to get one commentary and I'm definatley not buying the "Deluxe" Edition just to get a few more featurettes.

Had they put the commentary on the DE I would have bought that one - now I'll just keep the old version.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

NEW transfer on a Superbit? I am SO there. Looks as if I will be Ebaying my current version tonight. :)

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Um, I thought Superbits ONLY included DD 5.1, DTS 5.1, and the rest of the disc goes to picture quality...what's this commentary crap? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy commentaries, but these companies need to stick with their standards...

CraigL

Screenwriter

Only because apparently they're mastering a new disc as opposed to the other one. With that "boxed set," they're using pre-existing discs and they dont' have to change anything.

But ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS...i'm appalled.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I have no problems with studios issuing re-releases, but I admit this sounds a bit ridiculous with what they are doing. However, I am glad they are issuing a Superbit because I had my doubts if it would be released and I like Superbits.

Furthermore, it's a new transfer on the Superbit - presumably will look better than the current one. I know a lot of people, including myself, were disappointed when we first saw the current transfer. This leads one to suspect that Columbia did, indeed, make the transfer not look as good as it could have because they knew a Superbit would be released down the road. This is speculation, of course; however, given the way they are re-releasing Spider-Man, it's plausible.

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator

Confirms that the Superbit line is nothing but a marketing gimmick (and a bad one at that). This release may have an improved video transfer, but it does indeed make the transfer on the previous release rather suspicious.

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
This is my first post here, but I've been lurking for quite some time and I love the forum.

Just wanted to let you all know that superherohype.com has the cover images on their site. My apologies if this has already been posted.

I too was disappointed in the transfer of the original release, so if the superbit is a clear improvement I'll be picking it up. The deluxe edition doesn't sound all that deluxe to me, so I'll probably pass, unless new info comes out that makes it a must have for me.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I didn't find enough wrong with the first release, so I'll save my money. My only complaint would be in the digital animation, and I doubt a better transfer will help the effects.

This is really disappointing considering the jobs they did on "Black Hawk Down" and "Panic Room" Deluxe editions.:thumbsdown:

TomWoodward

Second Unit
Here you go:

Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation
English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Track
French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Track
Weaving the Web: Subtitled Factoids
Audio Commentary with Sam Raimi, Kirsten Dunst & Producers
Audio Commentary with the Special Effects Crew
Chad Kroeger Feat. Josey Scott: Hero Music Video
Sum 41: What We're All About Music Video
Screen Tests: Tobey Maguire, J.K. Simmons & CGI Spidey
Spider-Mania: An E! Entertainment Special
HBO Making of Spider-Man Featurette
Filmographies & Character Files
Multiple Costume and Makeup Tests
Selection of Outtakes and Gags
Conceptual Art & Production Design Gallery
Director Profile: Sam Raimi
Composer Profile: Danny Elfman
Theatrical Trailers and TV Spots
Branching Web-i-sodes
DVD-ROM: Comic/Feature Comparison
DVD-ROM: Record Your Own Commentary
DVD-ROM: Countdown to Spider-Man 2
DVD-ROM: Spider-Man Weblinks
English, French, Spanish Subtitles

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks