What's new

New special editions for Rio Grande, The Quiet Man, and High Noon for 10/22 (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
this is straight from www.dvdfile.com and does anybody have anymore info on this ?
Other Artisan 4th quarter releases include yet another Wishmaster sequel, Wishmaster: The Prophecy Fulfilled, Wes Craven Present's Don't Look Down, Derailed, and the Robin Cook thriller Invasion. Retail is $19.95 a pop and street date 10/29.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Bah! I just bought Rio Bravo a couple of weeks ago! Didn't that disc just come out under a year ago?
Oh, well. Nothing says I have to buy another version. Depends on what's new/different.
EDIT: According to Amazon.com it was released May 8, 2001. So, a little over a year. Still, a pretty short shelf-life for the current version. I'll probably just be content with what I've got.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
I'd be pretty amazed if Artisan releases Rio Bravo. It belongs to Warner Bros! I know that for Kubrick and Wolfgang Petersen, there was some cross-studio cooperation, but with John Wayne titles.... I don't know. They are ALWAYS a hot commodity. Just my pennies.

Matt

David Brashear

Stunt Coordinator
A new version of High Noon? What was wrong with the first one? And where is the announcement for It's A Wonderful Life?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Gawd...as appealing as these might be, I'll have to stand pat with the versions I have. Not much room left to upgrade decent editions when there's so many new things to buy! :eek:
I'm still trying to figure out if I can afford The Sum of All Fears on the week after this date!! :frowning:

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I would definitely upgrade my DVD of The Quiet Man if Artisan is releasing it with a new transfer as the one out now is pretty bad due to the oversaturated & bleeding colors.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
What Jay E said ;). The current version of Quiet Man looks horrible. Knowing Artisan they'll put some more SE stuff on it and not do anything to remaster the movie :rolleyes:
I thought Robert Harris had said that Quiet Man needed much restoration to get it looking better. I just dont see Artisan spending the $$ to do that. I hope I'm proven wrong though. Unless they digitally fix it and dont do anything to restore the film.
PS..I remember reading somewhere yesterday that the High Noon SE will have commentaries by Zinneman's son and also a commentary by the daughther of one of the other's involved in the films production (writer maybe?). Maybe the Quiet Man will have a similar commentary with Wayne's relatives or maybe John Ford's relatives. I think Ford's son (or maybe grandson) wrote a book about Ford.
Cheers.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I thought Robert Harris had said that Quiet Man needed much restoration to get it looking better.
RAH did not say this. Unless Republic did something awful with the original elements, there is no excuse for a transfer of this Oscar winner for color cinematography to look that bad. Whatever element they made the video transfer from had some serious registration issues.
If they feature new transfers that are decent, I would repurchase all three of these titles, although the current version of Rio Grande actually looks OK to me.
Regards,

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love to see a restored Quiet Man, but I just don't see Artisan doing it for what is perceived as a limited appeal title. It's too bad - I bet this was a great looking movie in its time.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I would also presume they meant to say Rio Grande, since Warner owns the rights to Rio Bravo.
I'm certainly hoping that these will feature new and better transfers. If not, the whole thing is a waste of time.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
If The Quiet Man really is a better transfer, then I'll pick it up. I haven't gotten High Noon yet, so I'll eventually get the special edition. I've seen a great print of The Quiet Man before--can't remember if it was on AMC or PBS. I'm also seeing it Saturday on the big screen, so hopefully they'll have a decent print. This is one of my favorite movies ever, so I'm looking forward to it.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'll buy any John Ford film, eventually, and if this is given a treatment to rival She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (picture wise), I would buy it in an instant, the only reason I don't have it yet is because I'd heard of the bad transfer on the earlier release.

I already have High Noon and since it isn't one of my favorite westerns I doubt I'll repurchase it. having only seen it on a terrible, over-watched video and the current dvd, I don't think that it would be worth it to buy it yet again unless the transfer is a reference black and white one. the extras sound interesting, but I"m despairing at how few extras I've really watched, or listened too in my ever expanding paltry collection of 120 dvds. As I collect more and more movies, extras become less and less important to a steller image.

Adam

Adam

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
If a SE of Rio Bravo were to go into production, I for one would at least ask John Carpenter to record an audio commentary. Same goes for most of the Hawks films. AFI asked Carpenter to make a documentary about Hawks, but he refused to shoot on it videotape instead of 35mm. When the proverbial finger finally gets pulled out of the ass and The Thing From Another World is given the deluxe DVD treatment, I hope it's something great. Does anyone have the Laser of The Thing From Another World? It's terrible that Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell is out of print. But at least we know that Fox are working on The Day The Earth Stood Still: Special Edition. THX? DD 5.1? DTS 5.1? Who knows. Comm by Wise? YES! :D
Thanks for reading, folks.
Gordo

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Gordon
I am in absolute agreement with you on the orginal Thing from Another World re John Carpenter.
There is always our resident Micheal Allred or other HTFers who could pass on the info to John Carpenter and have an incredible SE
:D

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Also hoping it's a new (better) transfer for The Quite Man.
Jeez, the current DVD looks like the same transfer as the old VHS and laserdisc. Blech!!:thumbsdown:

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The DVD is more or less the same transfer as the 40th Anniversary laserdisc & VHS. That would not be so bad if it had been a good transfer by even 1992 standards, but it was not. The Quiet Man on video has never been done close to correct. Previous editions have had improved sharpness, but with terribly faded colors. They were usually also cropped on all sides, presumably to hide print damage on the outside of whatever element they used for transfer.

The 1992 version fixed the cropping and brought back the colors, but was a disaster in terms of sharpness due presumably to registration problems with their source element.

Waiting for the definitive video release of The Quiet Man has been like waiting for Bullwinkle Moose to pull a rabbit out of his hat. Something always goes wrong and it is never the same thing twice.

Regards,

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Why doesn't criterion get involved with a title like this? I mean really...the esoteric titles are nice too...but hey...there are also plenty of titles more pelbian in nature than the quiet man that they've taken time to issue!

-dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks