What's new

New Speakers to match Reciever (1 Viewer)

AlexE

Auditioning
Hi there,
This is my first post here, although I have been reading the forums for a bit. I recently purchased a
pioneer vsx-D850S reciever from BestBuy. I believe I got a good price ($257) so I picked it up. I was looking at the Kenwood HTB-505 and the onkyo 650 for a while and had been close to purchasing them a couple times but held off. Did I make a good decision?...hope so lol. Well anyway I also have a 27" Phillips tv with S-video which I am happy with for now..that is until i get the cash for one of those nice HDTV's. I dont have a regular DVD player but I use my Xbox for dvd's. Am i missing out by using this or is this performance good enough for the tv I have. I plan on hooking it up via an optical cable soon so I can get DD and DTS. My question is what kind of speakers should I be looking at for this set up. Please keep in mind that my budgeet was that of lets say $500(the average price of those HTIB sets. I have already spent about $250 although I could spend between $300 and $400 on speakers if necessary. I am looking for something that will pound very nicely when listening to music as well as let me hear and enjoy all the sounds in movies. My living area is not huge but I may be moving this system to a bigger room in the near future and I want soomething that can get nice and loud while still sounding clear. I have seen the JBL package at Bestbuy and on the internet (SCS-135 i believe). These can be had for $150 if you look hard. I saw a nice yamaha setup which consised of 2x NS-6390, 2x NS-5290, 1x NS-AC40X, and the YST-SW105 sub. Im sure these can be found cheaper than crutchfield which is selling them seperatly for about $500 total. The AR HC6 package looks good as well and can be had for around $350 i believe. I hear people recomending hometheaterdirect.com as well. Lastly I have heard the JBL NSP-1 pack is very good. What sub would you recomend for this? Well any other suggestions for this setup? And sorry for the long post. Thanks and take care
-Alex

chiante

Agent
i recommend you listen to speakers yourself. get them from somewhere with a good rtn. policy. i have the same receiver as you and it is wonderful.

Isaac K

Stunt Coordinator
I just got the JBL SCS 135 package a couple of days ago. I love it so far. I watched Black Hawk Down and The Matrix and was really happy with the sound. However, I can't really compare this set to others, as it is my first set of surround speakers I've had. Here's a link to user reviews: http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_125248_4282crx.aspx
4.72 out of 5, so most people really like it.

AlexE

Auditioning
Thanks for the help...i think i am gonna go with what sounds good and what is priced well...I am thinking of just going with the northridge set and picking up a sub...any other suggestions?

Mike-grouse

Stunt Coordinator
Hey bfore you go out to listen check out a guide I use before I go out an listen. It helps remind of what ot listen for and rally shortens my time.
The guide I use is http://www.htadvice.com
They have an section related to overviews of all the diff HT components out there. They call it gear or something. You should be able to find it, but I definitely recommnd a refreasher course before you go out.
Hope thhis helps and good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks