New speakers or Reciever?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Peter f, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Peter f

Peter f Stunt Coordinator

Hello All,

Looking to make my next upgrade and am unsure if i go with new speakers or a new reciever. Budget MAX is $1500.00.

Current equipment:
    Receiver : Yamaha RX-V795A
    FR Speakers : Yamaha NS-A1738
    Center Chan: Klipsch RC-7
    Outlaw M2200 Mono blocks (3)
    Klipsch KSW-12
    Klipsch synergy surrounds

I am aware of the "timber" matched argument. However after demo'ing a pair of Klipsch RF-7's in my home 4 years back...I heard no improvement over the Yamaha/Klipsch combo i have now. In fact...they were a bit bright to me, making the Yamaha's more appealing.

the system is used 80% for movies...

7.1 Receivers i am considering:
    RX-V1600
    RX-V2600

thank you

2. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

I used to have that same receiver and a Klipsch KSF-8.5s. I sold it to a friend a while back and it still sounds good.

You have external amplification and are using the prepouts of the receiver, so you have plenty of good power. The receiver really has a nice set of surround options and the direct audio feature works very well.

I would recommend changing your speakers first. Look for something that's not as bright and make sure your front 3 speakers are timbre matched.

Next I'd change the sub, surrounds, then receiver.

My favorite speakers are: Paradigm, Boston Acoustics, B&W, and Definitive Technology. There are a lot of other good choices.

A killer setup would be Paradigm Studio 20s for $800 and a CC470 for $600. You'd keep those for years.

3. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I would also suggest upgrading your speakers, first. I have been a happy Yamaha owner with the Paradigm Monitor 7s. I have used these speakers first withe a Yamaha 795 and now a 2500.

4. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

I would definatly say speakers. I would put the $1500 into new mains.

5. Peter f

Thanks for the responses guys.

I was leaning towards a new set of front speakers anyway.

Listened too a few this weekend.
    Polk
    Boston
    Def Tech

I would like more info on the paradigm line, if i could only find a local dealer that isnt open bankers hours

I am leaning towards the Studio 60's right now. The 100's are just a bit too much money and the 40's on stands wont fit my set up very well.

anyone know of a reputable Paradigm online dealer?

6. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Some companies don't allow their products to be sold on-line. I've never seen Paradigm or Def Tech on-line but maybe I haven't looked in the right places.

7. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

8. Peter f

Ok, I think i have it narrowed down to the Boston VR3 or the Paradigm Studio 60's....looks like i have some thinking to do.

I like the sound on both..The Boston's are a little easier for me to get though..more dealers in my area

9. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

I would also suggest getting a center channel from the same line as your mains.

10. Oren Paul

Oren Paul Stunt Coordinator

I use the RC-7 as my center, my Fronts are Klipsh Cornwalls which to my ear sound a bit more mellow than their current offerings, check E-Bay to see if you can find a pair of Cornwalls near you, I have seen them for as low as $400.00, then you can also upgrade your electronics. The new Outlaw Receiver?

11. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

You should be quite happy with the Bostons. If you like the sound and they are easily available go get them. Don't spend too much time wondering if one's better than the other. You'll get as many answers as there are people.