New Speakers or Reciever for $600?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Allen Marshall, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

I have recently made the decision to buy a sound card with optical and coax outs so I can hook my reciever and HT speakers up and finally combine HT and PC. I have a problem, I cant fit my Athena AS-F2 floorstandings around my workstation anywhere, so their useless, I have to store them away. I have AS-B1 bookshelves that I can use for Fronts and an AS-C1 for a center to put on the shelf over my monitor. I will then use almost a decade old Sharp bookshelves for rears and a KLH center speaker for a rear center.

I have a 6.1 Yamaha reciever that does 75x6. Now I feel like an upgrade and I was wondering what people think would be a better buy. A new more powerful reciever for $500 that matches better with Athenas then Yamaha and gives more healthy and clean juice, or should I keep the reciever and upgrade my fronts and center to better speakers and use AS-B1s and AS-C1 as rears and a rear center. I have to have bookshelves for fronts, My table fits into the wall perfectly so I can have to put the speakers on the table and I think I might just have the funniest and most pathetic setup ever if I put my AS-F2s on the desk to the left and right of my monitor.

I got the sub situation covered with a SVS PB2+. Timbre matching the fronts with the rears isnt to important to me cause the transitional sound difference is minor and the rear dedicated sounds are undetectable to me as far as distinguishing them from the fronts.

So incase I didnt say already, what would be more of a boost in quality and performance, new reciever same speakers, or same speakers and a reciever that gives the proper power?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Why not use the F2s as surrounds in the meantime? Timbre matching the FRONT 3 is important, but not quite as important with the rears. I'd probably say go with a better receiver (you didn't mention which model though) as the speakers are already acceptable for an average HT.

3. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

I think I might be able to work out the F2s bein in the rear if I move the table back there alittle to the right. I'd be sitting at a computer chair, im higher up then I would be at a couch so my ears are higher up then the tweeters. Would it be noticeable, my front tweeters will be much higher then my ears and my rear tweeters will be lower then my ears though having 10ft to travel when my fronts only have 2ft to go.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Shouldn't be a problem, and you said you weren't so concerned about the rears, but that will give you the best match and allow you to use your current speakers. Most towers are designed to be the height that they are from the floor. In a surround situation, you will have to play around with where you aim them and their levels (due to the distance difference), preferably calibrated with a SPL meter. The distance may actually work to your advantage with the towers as surrounds. I know there are a few guys on here who use towers as surrounds and they seem very happy with it.