New Speakers / Need suggestions

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Domonic A, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Domonic A

Domonic A Stunt Coordinator

Domonic Ableidinger
    I am starting to look at speakers for my new home theater. The room is 14' x 30' with the seating at 17' and the rear of the room is for recreation. I am setting up a 5.1 system using a Marantz SR8000 reciever. I am putting bookshelves in the front so I can bould around the speakers. I would like to try and use some large bookshelfs if I can.

Budget $2000
    2 Fronts
    1 Center
    2 Surrounds (bipole or dipole ?????)
    1 or 2 subs

I was open to several brands. I like Energy, Klipsch, Paradigm, Definative Technology, & B&W.

Thanks for your help.

2. Al H.

Al H. Agent

Did you say you want to use bookshelves as fronts? Off hand how many watts per channel is your Marantz?

3. Domonic A

Domonic A Stunt Coordinator

Domonic Ableidinger
    Sorry for the delay. My Marantz puts out 105W per channel. I would like to do floorstanding but thought that Book shelf speakers would work better. The front corners will be angled with a sub on the floor concealed by the bookcase.

I am open to any and all sugestions. I currently have a pair of Energy's with a 5-1/2 woofer and a passive that do a good job, but they will be staying upstairs in the family room.

Thank You,
    Domoic A.

4. BenKuhn

BenKuhn Auditioning

I just went through the same process. I auditioned both the DefTech ProCinema 100's and the Paradigm MiniMonitors at home on a Yamaha RX-v640 (@85w/chan). I personally thought the DefTechs were just a bit too bright, and sounded a tad too much like a satellite system. I also was getting ear fatigue from the def techs. The MiniMonitors had a lot more warmth while still being crisp. The DefTech sub was great though (prosub 100), so I'm running Paradigm MiniMon front & 370 center, ProSub 100, and ProCinema 80's for surround. The 80's were a little cheaper than the Atom's, if I remember right, and the Atoms sounded kinda muddy to me. Well, hope that helps. I haven't tried the other brands you mentioned (well, at least not at home). BTW, be sure to check the power ratings on the minimons. You might be over by just a bit.

Best of luck!

- Ben

5. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

As far as larger front bookshelfs go, I can vouch for the Paradigm Studio 40's. They are very sweet speakers.

6. BrianWH

BrianWH Agent

If I had your budget and room, I'd get:

Boston Acoustics CR85 fronts ($350-400), CRC center ($180), and CR65 rears ($200) (although they're not di or bipole), and then use the rest for a pair of SVS 20-39 PCi's ($550 each).

Of course this is just my biased opinion, being a Boston Acoustics fan, but I'd add them to your list to audition at least. Great speakers that perform way beyond what their price might suggest.

Brian

my HT