What's new

New Speakers: Jamo or Sony (1 Viewer)

Firat Cingi

Auditioning
Hi all,

I have Teac PLS 85D home theater system. It's one of the lowest-end option available (unlike most of you guys' systems :) ) I mostly use it for dvd, and audio cds.

Although it satisfies ny needs I wanted to upgrade my speakers and these are the two options available. Another option is keeping mine. They are Teac speakers (30W*5 + 50W subwoofer):

--> Jamo E 350 PPL

92 dB Sensitivity
2 channel speaker system
2*140W+3*100W + 70W Subwoofer (6 inch)
8 ohm impedance
Frequency range 55-20000 hz

--> Sony SA-VE356
5*120W + 120 W active subwoofer (~4 inch)
Frequency range 28-50.000Hz
6.1 channel

Would you please help me choosing one. My A/V receiver is an 5.1 channel one. And I assume I can use Sony on it. I don't have funds to upgrade A/V receiver so if both speakers systems with an output power of approximately 500W will be useless on this receiver please tell me so.

Regards,

John S

Senior HTF Member
I had zero luck attempting to get the specs on the Teac.

Some home theater in a box setups cannot effectively have the speakers upgraded in this manner.

Probably will work OK though.....

Firat Cingi

Auditioning
Well John, thanks for your efforts.

In fact I can't find too many information either. I listened the Jamo on a Yamaha receiver with an output power of 300W and it was quite amazing for me. If output power of the receiver is the key option to decide, mine Teac has an 280W output which seems to be enough. When I search the control menus of some Yamaha, Sony receivers in shops, I find the same corresponding properties in my Teac as well. But honestly I do not know which properties are key to decide if buying or not such powerful speaker system.

My situation is like, trying to find the way out from a labyrinth while being blind.

Regards

John S

Senior HTF Member
That is not what decides if it will really work or not.

Most HTIB's have the sub and mains sort of integrated together with the main amp electronics.

In these situations, there is no good way to improve the sound with any one part of the system upgraded.

If your main electronics have a real sub/LFE out, and your sub as an intergrated amp, then you will be fine.

If your mains connect off of your sub or your sub does not have an amplifier in it then it will most like not work, be worse, or be about the same.

There are other theater in a box restrictions as well, but this situation is the most common and people are always miffed that they can't upgrade, they have to start over.

Firat Cingi

Auditioning
Wow, what a quick response :)

Well, I really appreciate your efforts but you are really talking Chinese for me.

Lets start from here: "sub" means "subwoofer" right? :frowning:

I think in my situation it is best to take the receiver to the shop and try it with the speakers. I think I can do it.

I'm leaning to Jamo option if my Teac loves (means: it has real sub/LFE out, and an intergrated amp) it also. ;) Of course if there is no negative voices.

I really appriciate your help John, thank you.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Try before you buy is always best!!!

let us know how it went for sure.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Agreed...if the TEAC unit you own supports a dedicated subwoofer then go with the Jamo package.

Firat Cingi

Auditioning
After your comments I bought the Jamo unit and it really made a difference. I tried my TEAC receiver in the shop. Although an upper level Sony or Yamaha unit shows the real quality of the speaker unit, it satisfies me. :)

Thank you for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks